'The General' is aiming to achieve a consensus on bowling techniques

analogue-delights

Sep 29, 2018
'Zero Star' is currently engaged overseas and has a question for all.

Just out of curiosity, how many people on here bowl underarm?

Further to this, any proponents of the off side googly?

Kindest regards, Spanners

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I prefer Zooters to your Googlies

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
'Zero Star' is currently engaged overseas and has a question for all.

Just out of curiosity, how many people on here bowl underarm?

Further to this, any proponents of the off side googly?

I bowled under arm but then grew up. A Googly should be on the off side unless you want to bowl negative or wide down the leg

Ps: non cricket lovers don't bother

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Googly is when your cartridge is supposed to be tracking in one direction but suddenly unexpectedly goes the wrong way and the vinyl is declared out

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Googly is when your cartridge is supposed to be tracking in one direction but suddenly unexpectedly goes the wrong way and the vinyl is declared out

I thought you were more of a swinger bowler Ked?

analogue-delights

Sep 29, 2018
swing is really only good for high humidity, especially indoor swimming pools. Unless of course one has managed to conceal a multi dremel on the wickies whereabouts.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
swing is really only good for high humidity, especially indoor swimming pools. Unless of course one has managed to conceal a multi dremel on the wickies whereabouts.

I didn’t know you were partial to a router

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
How many true, straight balls are there in high end audio? More ones that pitch outside the off stump and then rise up violently to hit you on the temple.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
How many true, straight balls are there in high end audio? More ones that pitch outside the off stump and then rise up violently to hit you on the temple.

Bloody true Marc!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Yeah, I correctly expect almost every delivery to be the wrong 'un

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Us in Oz have felt endlessly awkward about the slightest mention of any kind of underarm action ever since that 1981 cricket test Chappelli incident. For us underarms will therefore forever be too hairy for both our sporting men and women alike.

Though in fairness to our Trev before this anything done that put those upstartity Neu Zellanders in their place was OK on a national level here... but maybe with this one pointed moment of complete underarm culturally downunder notoriety that also saliently reminded us that in the end any game won without a true and proper sporting spirit is always a game lost... cricketing shame (and Shane) is never far from any of us over here.

That said you Bri’ish and your increasing dry spells of great comedy allure... lovin it from down here... and in terms of being dry even climate change can’t compete. So while us non cricket types don’t always get the ‘googly’ (which is the search engine I use to search half of your commentaries) but we do all love the way you end up going to bat with each other. Majestic. Keep up that most excellent work.. and in the immortal words of your ever sinescent Mr Grace... you’re all doing very well.

Last edited:

analogue-delights

Sep 29, 2018
Dear Sound Of Tao,

very brave of you to take middle stump from the ump' from the first ball at The Oval.

Not a dot ball in sight as you majestically waved the blade, totally ignoring the incessant whining silly mid-off.

May I say a perfect at bat, the way you massaged the crease was truly mesmerising especially considering the lack of linseed.

Great knock.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Dear Spanners,
Thank you for first tossing the coin. Braveness is a classic Aussie play... shortly followed by clear regret as we leave the trenches and then face the gunners completely underarmed. The linseed is now even more comfortably in my sandwich. Love your work. Very much appreciated.

Cheers
Tao

Last edited:

analogue-delights

Sep 29, 2018
Dear Wis,

the thing with pace is it can confuse the crowds when thick edges turn into boundaries, especially at long leg.

Sure, it's entertaining on a fast pitch but the predictability of pace lacks drama. Think box speaker vs horn.

P.S. Is age related rendition cheating or illegal?

Reactions: the sound of Tao

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Pace like Fire. It's all I understand....

General, Wisnon has Jamaican origins. His comment makes sense, spin was for the wimps then

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Dear Wis,

the thing with pace is it can confuse the crowds when thick edges turn into boundaries, especially at long leg.

Sure, it's entertaining on a fast pitch but the predictability of pace lacks drama. Think box speaker vs horn.

P.S. Is age related rendition cheating or illegal?
When you have a quality 4 pronged pace attack, you don't worry about the occasional thick edge. You know the final result is inevitable.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
When you have a quality 4 pronged pace attack, you don't worry about the occasional thick edge. You know the final result is inevitable.

With Roger Harper in the slips, and Dujon behind, no one had to worry about thick edges except the opposition

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Well I am just putting one through to the slips... my thoughts go out to all our Brit brigade while watching the ever disturbing news reports of the British people stocking up on essentials (food, medicine, continental european audio gear) in the current days of imminent brexian phenomenal uncertainty... and now even Roy Gregory jumping ship on Brittania and leaving blighty to head on over to France because he’s worried about continued access to gear... far out dudes... not good, not funny, not cricket.

Hope it’s only just a Y2k recall. Good luck to all going forward.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing