The Irishman | Netflix /// Coming up

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Fantastic movie. Great detailed storytelling, with Pesci and Deniro at their best. Amazing how after a series of poor movies Deniro came up with such a good performance so late in his career. Must have got galvanized into acting again.
Pacino was really poor imo especially given how well Jack did as Hoffa. I thought the last 30 minutes or so dragged on, but otherwise this is one of his better ones. Dunno how crap like Heat was brought up in the same thread.

I thought the last 30+ minutes was the key in making this a great film with something unique to say as opposed to just another mob picture. The scenes with the priest, the funeral parlor, his nurse (where he displays his charm to make her think he's just like any nice old man she sees making her rounds) and most importantly his scene with one of his daughter's where his pain is obvious even though his words are sparse, are among the most impressive of the entire film. That character is so diametrically opposed to his "house painter" character early in the film, that it's astonishing that it can even be played by the same actor. Totally masterful work by both actor and director. It's what makes the movie extraordinary IMHO.

Agree it's one of DeNiro's best performances in a long career. Why he chooses to do crappy romantic comedies is anyone's guess since he doesn't need the paycheck. It would be nice for DeNiro and Pesci to win Oscar's together in the same film at the end of their careers, especially since Pesci was robbed of his first Supporting Actor Oscar for his amazing performance as Jake LaMotta's younger brother in Raging Bull for which DeNiro won Best Actor. Pesci had to wait 10 more years before he received one for Goodfellas and the Academy may not be inclined to give him another one for yet another supporting mobster role. (His most enduring role however may very well be the classic and great, My Cousin Vinny!) And DeNiro will have stiff competition from Joaquin Phoenix so it may not happen for either.

Reactions: NorthStar

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Pesci has had a pro singing career in the last few yrs, is that right? I heard he got so sick of the typecasting that his work w Scorsese resulted from.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
So, about to take out our 30 days free trial of Netflix. Looking at cramming in this film, The Crown current series, and the Breaking Bad movie.

Everybody I speak to about this movie fell asleep. I actually took multiple cocktail breaks to get me through. First hour is great, rest is a snooze. Heat the far better Pacino/Deniro movie.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
If our various opinions on films apply similarly to hi-fi stereo music recordings and exotic cars (EV & ICE), and climate changes, ... then the one we married is the one we love. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing