The Krell SACD and a Cast of thousands!

Lefisc

Jul 13, 2013
It’s like a Twilight Zone episode.

Wait was there ever a happy ending on a Twilight Zone episode?

But first, I respect, appreciate and encourage everyone here to express their opinions. Our tastes may differ but our affection for this hobby and what is brings is universal. Many people have enjoyed components that I haven’t and vise versa. Maybe some systems match up better with different wires or CD players and it’s great to read about them. So this is not a contest, but an observation, and a tale of preferences.

This was a big year, unintentionally , for my changing equipment. My Levenson 502 and 512 (surround and Sacd Players broke). Along with my Pioneer Elite 09 player and JVC projector.

They were originally replaced by the Krell 707, Krell KPE phono input, Esoteric K-03 SACD player, Oppo 105 Blu Ray and a JVC 66U projector

I also sold my Mark Levinson 32 preamp and removed my XM tuner. I had one sub, a Thiel 2 or 3 which I removed.

The 707 negated the need for the 32, but I did replace the phono input. My new Sonos internet radio gets XM and sounds better. And I so love the SVS SB-13 ultra-subwoofers that I got two of them.

I was NOT happy with the Esoteric although many people were. I don’t get it. Could mine have been defective? I was a bit disappointed in the SACD, it was not quite as good as the ML or Krell. I was MOST disappointed by its CD sound. Most of my music is CD (and of course vinyl). Well today was the day for the last changes. I hope.

The Man from K.R.E.L.L. came today and installed the Cipher. We used Krell new cast cables to connect to the 707. Then we rewired the 707 to the three front amps ( 2 600es and for the center a 450 mcx) with a 15 foot cast cables.

Sadly, we had to be in the garage for 20 minutes during this terrible heat wave. The media room will take a while to cool down, it’s at 85 degrees and the humidity is one million %.

First impressions:
The sound is quieter and has less noise with the new cables. I cannot speak yet for its full fidelity that will take a cold spell over NY so I can comfortably sit in the room.

The SACD player sounded really good, but even better after it warmed up, (or heated up today) a few hours later. It has a very real and mellow sound and was very detailed. The harness of the detail began to fade from first listening to last. I played Herbie Hancock’s Gershwin’s World, Kind of Blue and Jazz at the Pawnshop.

The CD player was a bit harsher than the SACD but also detailed. The harshness seems to be fading, but I can’t really tell yet. Both the unit and the wires need to be broken in. This will take a few weeks, so the jury is still out here at bit. To be clear, the CD sound very good, but I am hoping for great, but the CD part has not played for an hour.

Basically everything gets very high marks but I have not heard the CD component after it’s been warmed up so the jury.

Cats! Pictures! Pictures! Pictures! Cats!

People asked for pictures. Let me say that I have cats who love to climb on speakers. So when I get new ones I have to put out plastic scat maps. They give the kitties a very low shock when they walk on them, this gets them out of the habit of jumping on them! It makes a terrible picture, but here is the front of the room and the cabinet.

Inside the cabinet is the Tuner and Phono step up.

One funny note: With its painted grill, the speaker behind the chair is virtually invisible, but the flash makes it look like there is no grille at all.

The screen and speakers.jpg Seating arrangement.jpg stereo cabinet closed.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing