The launch of The Record Player at BITEC Bangkok & the Hong Kong Show 2019

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Genesis is proud to announce the launch of THE RECORD PLAYER - a full system encompassing the rack, phonostage, power supplies and turntable. A collaboration between Gary Leonard Koh of Genesis and Harry Weisfield and Mat Weisfield of VPI Industries.l

Record_Player.jpg
We don't have full information ready to fly yet, but the preliminary brochure can be downloaded right off the front page of our website: https://www.genesisloudspeakers.com/

TT1.jpg

Reactions: NorthStar

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Hi Carol and Gary,

How is the Hong Show doing? We see the airport has been shut down with the protests. Hope you are OK. Larry

ChasFreeland

Aug 16, 2019
I heard this Record Player, (a prototype), at the Bangkok Bitech show. Very very good. Everything has been designed with the ultimate in care and precision, as one might expect from Gary. Gary's Record Player is co-developed with VPI, but it is Gary's design. In fact, it was standing alongside the new VPI $15,000 Direct Drive with a Lyra Kleos cartridge. This was also excellent, but Gary's Record Player sounded much better. Gary's cartridge, if I recall correctly, was a Dynavector XV-1s, but heavily customised. Gary's Record Player is sensational and I wish him all the luck with this new product.

Reactions: garylkoh

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Is it DD? Price?

ChasFreeland

Aug 16, 2019
Yes, I believe so, Direct Drive. Gary told me the price would be around $135,000. But that includes a lot. The stand is completely custom. The material for the legs, Gary said, cost some $80 per inch. Plus, you get a top of the line Genesis phono preamp, a power conditioner and power supply. I will let Gary tell you about the motor and other tech details. This is a complete system, not just a turntable.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
It's always slightly irked me that the devices used to play records are called "turntables" and not "record players".

I mean, cds spin on a turntable as well, but we call them "cd players".

So thumbs up for a record player called, ahem, "The Record Player".

Reactions: garylkoh and RnRmf

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks for posting this thread, and the comments. When I have a bit more time, I'll write more about the design objectives, principles and how I went about achieving them.

But here's a tidbit - Steve Williams ans members of WBF seeded the beginnings (the Genesis) of this Record Player. In 2013 or 2014, Steve put a bee in my bonnet when we had a gathering at his home after the Newport show. He gave me the idea to conduct a didactic about turntable design. It turned out to be an entertaining, interesting and educational discussion. During that session, someone (I can't remember if it was Albert Porter, Alex Suify or someone else) asked "Why don't you design a turntable as you already know what are the problems to be solved?" All you have to do is to solve each of them.........

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
As I mentioned earlier, there were a number of impetus to my designing a record player, and that gathering at Steve's place was one of them. Two of my Asian distributors were instrumental too - my Hong Kong/China distributor who would go on to give me a pre-order, and my Thai distributor who brought me to the father/son team of Harry and Mat Weisfeld.

I was "infected" by having access to excellent tape. That started with Todd Garfinkle's mastertape of Ito Ema playing Bach's Goldberg Variations. Making the direct-to-disc album Four Seasons in Jazz allowed me to hear the difference between a lacquer, a pressing, the direct-to-tape and a digital backup. It made me realize that every turntable adds something and takes away something else, and I strove to do something that would be as close to hearing the reference lacquer on the lathe as possible.

The principle of the design is to be “as simple as possible, but no simpler”. Hence, we eschew the “brute force” design of massive weight with huge columns of steel and aluminum, in favor of a more considered approach.

The objective of the Record Player is very simple - to rotate a record smoothly without short-term or long-term fluctuations of speed. While short-term fluctuations can be measured in wow and flutter, long-term fluctuations are audible but lack their own quantification and are far more difficult to address.

To achieve this, we went the simpler route of direct drive; thus eliminating the need to design high-precision pulleys and belts. The direct-drive used on the Record Player is a unique brushless, iron-less, high-torque, ultra-low vibration motor drive system from VPI (the "big brother" of the excellent motor that they used on their 40th Anniversary machine). To this, we added the Genesis Dynamic Power Delivery System (DPDS) for an ultra-smooth rotation.

The motor uses a unique composite stator with embedded electromagnetic coils instead of the usual wire-wound slotted iron. Thus, the cogginess that is normally associated with some direct-drive motors is completely eliminated due to the absence of magnetic materials in the stator – much like our experience of using an air-core inductor in a loudspeaker crossover.

The unique zero-feedback drive system from VPI means that there are no long time-scale flunctuations. The DPDS contributes the means to deliver constant and consistent current to the motor drive electronics and absorb the back EMF from the motor (much like how the DPDS delivers current to my reference amplifiers). Combined, these elements give record playback the coveted quality of tape (our reference source).

The music signal as inscribed in a long play record is tiny – a 3dB change in loudness is represented by a physical difference of about 0.1µm (0.004 mil) in the groove. With this in mind, we looked at the magnitude of vibration control on a completely different dimensional scale.

What was needed was the control of micro-vibrations; not the judder caused by bumping into the Record Player, or the tremor of foot-falls on a badly-constructed floor (those still need to be addressed, just not the focus of this design).

Therefore, we addressed vibration and resonance control from the point of:
  1. Stylus/Groove interface
  2. Impact of sound waves on the structure
  3. Motor (and bearing) generated noise
  4. Power supply transformer vibrations
The main component of this vibration control is done using an 11-layer carbon-fiber composite and wood sandwich that we’ve developed over the past 10 years and used effectively for our loudspeaker cabinets. This is the plinth for the all-important motor/tonearm interface. The plinth is then spiked to a HMWA platform and this platform is hung from the superstructure with a low-Q low-compliance suspension system.

The Record Player incorporates an integral rack that controls and manages any air-borne and transformer-generated vibration. Rather than being absolutely rigid, the rack has a slight “give” that absorbs and dampens vibrations generated by the various transformers in the power supply or carried through the air.

Structure-borne vibrations (assuming that the floor is adequately engineered) will be primarily vertical in amplitude. The potential frequency that this will occur at is filtered out by the spiked/hung suspension system. So, when you cue down, there is astonishing lack of vinyl noise when compared to other turntables.

With the proliferation of electronics, computers and digital equipment in the home, there is a lot of pollution on the sine wave of the power supply. This electrical pollution pushes power supplies to work harder to filter out all the noise.

Some power conditioners and many devices shunt this noise to ground, resulting in a noisy ground plane if impedance to Earth is not sufficiently low. Unfortunately, the system ground can be a backdoor for noise if this is not properly addressed. A power-conditioning “Juice Box” delivers pure power to the Motor Drive and the Premium Platinum phono stage. It filters the noise pollution on the AC mains by converting this noise to heat and it isolates noise in the ground plane, and still providing a ground for the tonearm to dissipate static.

Sometimes, noise can come in from the ground (pin 1) of the XLR output, or if a single-ended preamp is used, from the ground of the RCA connector. Such noise on the signal-ground can travel all the way to the cartridge and be amplified by the phono stage. Thus, the Genesis Premium Platinum phono stage is included in the system to ensure that the care taken in eliminating mechanical and power noise does not get negated by in-coming noise from the ground of the output connector.

As a system, the Record Player by Genesis and VPI is designed to be a black-box source of music. It is isolated electrically from the mains power supply, and at the output it is isolated from the system it plays into.

What I like to say is that you plug in AC, add a record, and music comes out.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I happened to be at the interesting software session where Mr.Koh's tt was playing different vinyl materials vs. tape. The system they were using were Magnepan 30.6 (I could be wrong I don't follow Magnepan model.), some cheap amps, two tape machines one ATR Bernnie Grundman Spec the other Ballfinger. That room was not just the best sounding room in that show imo, but it just sounded uniquely excellent regardless of show. The sound of tt with certain vinyl that was showing was better in some respects than the Ballfinger while some aspects tape was better. I don't know if Mr.Koh put tape level as the aim for his tt or not but the sound from that tt was resembling tape.

Just my thought,
Tang

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thank you for your comments, Tang. That was my target, to have the record sound as close as possible to the mastertape that was used to make that record.

We were fortunate to have Mr Ying Tan of Groove Note conduct demos over the 3 days of the Bangkok show. He, perhaps, would have a unique perspective as he brought his mastertapes as well as the reference lacquers cut from the mastertape from Bernie Grundman to demo and compare for the audience. I also heard very good comments from other audience members that the Record Player was comparable in some aspects to the tape machines.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations, Gary, on the launch of this all-inclusive, holistic vinyl playback system! It looks fantastic, and I am sure it sounds fantastic as well!

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Congratulations, Gary, on the launch of this all-inclusive, holistic vinyl playback system! It looks fantastic, and I am sure it sounds fantastic as well!

Thanks, Ron. After the prototype, it's the hard grind to getting it ready for production!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing