The Magnepan Magneplanar LRS: So Much More Than Just a "Taste" of the High End

rhd1953

Apr 23, 2021
I've owned a pair of LRS for over a year. The first minute I listened to them I decided I needed to re-listen to all my music. I certainly wouldn't use them in a large room (as shown in the positive-feedback review), or close to the rear wall. I haven't blown a fuse yet and they go quite loud. Bass goes quite low and can vibrate my wood floor (1926 house with 1" planks+3/4" oak flooring+1/2" carpet pad+thick carpet and plaster walls-low ceiling). They immediately "display" an amazing sound stage and "backing" instruments are quite discernible. I also purchased the MG 0.7 (next size up) as replacements for my Martin Logan CLS speakers (both CLS 1 and CLS II, needed panel replacements (+$3400/pair, last year)). FYI, the 0.7 fill the room better than the CLS, despite being half the width and 6" shorter. Should I place the 0.7 on top of the Martin Logan Dynamo 400 (powered) subs? I already have the subs inline and in-between the 0.7 speakers. The Magnepan speakers really need to be 1/3 out from the back wall and I use a listening position 1/3 out from the front wall. On good recordings, the speakers disappear, the music is simply between and behind the speakers. MG point7-CLS side by side(11x7).jpg

Reactions: arftech

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
I've owned a pair of LRS for over a year. The first minute I listened to them I decided I needed to re-listen to all my music. I certainly wouldn't use them in a large room (as shown in the positive-feedback review), or close to the rear wall. I haven't blown a fuse yet and they go quite loud. Bass goes quite low and can vibrate my wood floor (1926 house with 1" planks+3/4" oak flooring+1/2" carpet pad+thick carpet and plaster walls-low ceiling). They immediately "display" an amazing sound stage and "backing" instruments are quite discernible. I also purchased the MG 0.7 (next size up) as replacements for my Martin Logan CLS speakers (both CLS 1 and CLS II, needed panel replacements (+$3400/pair, last year)). FYI, the 0.7 fill the room better than the CLS, despite being half the width and 6" shorter. Should I place the 0.7 on top of the Martin Logan Dynamo 400 (powered) subs? I already have the subs inline and in-between the 0.7 speakers. The Magnepan speakers really need to be 1/3 out from the back wall and I use a listening position 1/3 out from the front wall. On good recordings, the speakers disappear, the music is simply between and behind the speakers. View attachment 77277
Definitely don’t place them on the subwoofer.it will effect sound of the speakers.

rhd1953

Apr 23, 2021
Move the Logan’s out of the way and the Maggie’s should sound better still.
The Martin Logan CLS speakers are gone completely. The photo is mostly to show the size difference.

Attachments

• Magnepan 07 Speakers -page size DSC_0472.jpg
    Magnepan 07 Speakers -page size DSC_0472.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: paolo

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
I have bought them for my home cinema as rear loudspeaker...has CCR and 3.7i in front...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing