The Marvellous MG30.7's

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Greetings & G'day to all,
Well I must say this time round was quite different, with an added twist to the Big Mac!

So what can 50 grand ($AUD) worth provide you in ribbon panels? I will tell you, it can take you to the live event!

Having heard these things earlier in Feb, driven by the Relentless amps, partnered with a full line up of Dan'D designs, including the Nordost Odin's as a complete reference cable loom, was indeed in a class of its own. However, I must say the line up of Mac gear priced at a far more reasonable level, holds its ground very firmly, and delivers just what the 30.7's require, which is very high quality playback.

I'll summarise in a few points:
1. Due to the multiple placement arrays these have, I think it's best to follow the owners manual, (which finally arrived and was delivered to the owner) as a start and perhaps tweak with finer adjustments well into the break-in period, which is still on-going...

2. The amplifiers of choice must have not only high power output but also the capability to fully grip the bass panels in order to generate the required speed, depth and agility the 30.7's are capable of. So the question is which amplifiers would suit best? Well that depends on what kind of music and the levels you listen at...

3. The 30.7's are rated somewhere around 86-87db efficiency and around the 4ohm mark but could also dip lower on certain passages...
So one would think an amp delivering 250w/ch on an 8ohm load then doubling to around 500w on a 4ohm load and significantly doubling again towards lower impedences would be the ideal match? I wouldn't know but I sincerely hope so!

4. From personal experiences, having dealt with certain makes & designs being tube & SS, these ones provided the greatest level of control when it came to driving large panels, such as ribbons & full range stats:
CJ, ARC, VTL, Manley and Melos, to name a few selected all tube designs of what I have used/owned ... In terms of SS: Threshold, Momentums, Relentless, Pass Labs, Accuphase, Plinius, Bryston, Parasound, Mark Levinson, and Jeff Rowland, to name a few more, and of course McIntosh. The big MC452 didn't have any issues driving the Maggies to extended dynamics and superb control in the full frequency spectrum. So basically, this is one heck of a combination! If any of you are considering Mac amplifiers more seriously to drive your panels, no issues whatsoever.

5. There is no doubt that if these were driven by top of the line amplifiers, such as the Relentless or Momentums, the performance level increases to great lengths but I sincerely don't think it's very necessary. Which leads to my next point...

6. The Overall control factor:
Now this is where many so called high powered amps simply don't deliver. They may have the power in terms of watts but they lack in terms of generating the required current to handle the impedence curve, stable power supplies and fast reacting power supplies to generate the required speed these panels are capable of delivering. That overall "control factor" is going to make or break any system, and when I refer to control, I'm referring to that full hold/grip the amplifier must have on these panels in order to optimise their performance and make them feel happy, whiles generating wonderful musicality.

7. The music is engaging, it allows a more neutral balance, blends well and the ribbon tweeter is well tamed, it doesn't wander off into the woods...
The key to success with the 30.7's is getting that balance and blend factor right. Due to the bass being a large panel, consisting of two panels in separate frames, mid bass and lower bass, that added refinement and seamless integration will be realised by careful placement and proper break-in.

8. The mids and highs have everything you would expect at this level of highend performance. Superb transient speed, level of detail, decay, acceleration and control. The mid-range is more open now, and easily compared with the finest stats, both equally superb! The bass does capture the low notes and can go even lower, which will be fully realised upon full break-in. For now, the bass is just as good to be experienced in a full swing of added depth, great mid bass slam, fantastic agility and great sense of natural tonality.

9. The bass can sometimes seem either overpowering or muddy but then again more open bass lines follow with great speed and whiplash, which I figured was based on the recording. Hence, very similar to my CLX's, these are quite revealing, such that whatever is presented on the recording, these transducers will pick it up and deliver every minute detail. So this can be a good thing or a bad thing, therefore it would be advised to play high quality recordings, no kidding!

10. In summary:
These are not the typical 1.7, 3.7 or MG20 series... Magnepan have come a long way from those previous models to form a multi-panel speaker system, capable of delivering blistering transients, along with the added dynamics certain cone types can achieve, keeping this in superb balance (as long as the main amplifiers are upto par), providing a far more neutral presentation (allowing more of the music to flow) and most importantly of all, taking you one step closer to the live event.

This my fellow high-end enthusiasts is one of a kind design by Magnepan, and it certainly is not an ordinary Maggie, I suppose that's what 50 grand and above will provide.

It hasn't fully run-in as yet but with the amount of hours already run-in by G-man, which has clocked around the 100hr mark..., for those of you who are seriously considering the 30.7's, to experience what these can do is probably once in a lifetime. Simply because other systems capable of delivering this level of sonic mastering will cost a fortune! So for a fraction of that cost, once you hear these, you will straight away understand why I would agree that this is a "game changer", and this is what Magnepan has always delivered, absolute value for money.

Hats off to the G-man down unda, and very well done mate!
Given the hours already clocked in, with those finer quality cables, with a bit more break-in time and minor adjustments, get ready for a serious ride on the SOTA! You're gonna love it!

Cheers to all, RJ

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Oh! Sorry mate, looks like I confused the plot...

No, these are not mine. They belong to a chap whom I refer to as the G-man. He's the only person who first ordered the 30.7's and the only pair to arrive in Aus. No one else over here has even seen or heard the 30.7's, and since they're very new, such that they just came out of the oven, he had to wait nearly 5 months for delivery. The colour he ordered was the Walnut finish and these did not come with the added bass controls nor external cross-overs.
The main importer/dealer based in Sydney, flew down to Melbourne to set these up and fine tune the panels using electronic calibration for best room interaction and placement.
Prior to this, I helped my mate unpack these and set then up in order to allow for the room placement process to be easier...

I must say, I was for once very pleased to see that Magnepan have finally considered much higher quality parts throughout, including the T-shaped feet, which they've been using for decades, are now heavy duty type.

These things take a long time to break in properly and require a lot of care in initial setup, compared to other single panel types, which are much easier to dial in...
Overall, a very fine ribbon based panel, delivering very high quality performance comparable to the ultra high-end, no doubt! I will be visiting again and many times more, just to experience the difference in sound with a different flavor.

Having said that, my reference speakers are and will always be the CLX's, they have been my dream speakers and will never change from having full range stats. I'm very passionate about stats, tube amplification and TT's, that combination is of my highest overall satisfaction and a personal preference.

Just once in awhile, it's certainly great to experience something different, especially when at one point I used to own a number of Maggies... It's wonderful to see something redesigned that closely emulates the legendary Tympani's. The 30.7's have taken Magnepan awfully long to finalise on their design, whatever they did and however long they took, I can say one thing, boy did they do it right! This time!

Cheers to all, and enjoy your panels!
Big woof! RJ

Doktorfuture

Apr 12, 2019
Oh! Sorry mate, looks like I confused the plot...

No, these are not mine. They belong to a chap whom I refer to as the G-man. He's the only person who first ordered the 30.7's and the only pair to arrive in Aus. No one else over here has even seen or heard the 30.7's, and since they're very new, such that they just came out of the oven, he had to wait nearly 5 months for delivery. The colour he ordered was the Walnut finish and these did not come with the added bass controls nor external cross-overs.
The main importer/dealer based in Sydney, flew down to Melbourne to set these up and fine tune the panels using electronic calibration for best room interaction and placement.
Prior to this, I helped my mate unpack these and set then up in order to allow for the room placement process to be easier...

I must say, I was for once very pleased to see that Magnepan have finally considered much higher quality parts throughout, including the T-shaped feet, which they've been using for decades, are now heavy duty type.

These things take a long time to break in properly and require a lot of care in initial setup, compared to other single panel types, which are much easier to dial in...
Overall, a very fine ribbon based panel, delivering very high quality performance comparable to the ultra high-end, no doubt! I will be visiting again and many times more, just to experience the difference in sound with a different flavor.

Having said that, my reference speakers are and will always be the CLX's, they have been my dream speakers and will never change from having full range stats. I'm very passionate about stats, tube amplification and TT's, that combination is of my highest overall satisfaction and a personal preference.

Just once in awhile, it's certainly great to experience something different, especially when at one point I used to own a number of Maggies... It's wonderful to see something redesigned that closely emulates the legendary Tympani's. The 30.7's have taken Magnepan UOTE]

Reactions: Big Dog RJ

Doktorfuture

Apr 12, 2019
Wow only 5 months? I cancelled after >12 months of waiting. Australia? I'm was just a 14 hour drive from the them.

I have a pair of CLX - very fine indeed. Can you share some words of comparison?

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
G'day Dok,

Yes I certainly can share some points in comparison with the CLX's.

First of all, it's too bad to hear about your Maggie saga... That's definitely not good at all. Plus I simply cannot understand why they would take that long to reply to your request or custom finishes... Something is a miss here, and it looks like a communication breakdown big time, which obviously leads to frustration ending with a cancelled order. I used to have my very own high-end dealership back in the day, so I can certainly see your point of view. I truly hope at one point they are better able to manage their custom orders, after all the 30.7's are made to order and not stocked items. Hence, these are pretty much custom made, so there must be a separate division looking after such customers and ensuring that these orders are handled promptly and efficiently, clearly this is not the case!

The comparison between the 30.7's and the CLX's are in two parts for me. Such that;
1. General comparison:
This is where I would compare general specs and the overall sound. The Maggies being around 86-87db efficiency, 4 ohm load and dips to around 2ohms or thereabouts... Freq resp 22Hz to 40kHz and above and requires assembly plus a few accessories to hook up.
Note: connecting cables between mids & tweeter panel to bass panels is not supplied. Bass level controls are not supplied, these have to be separately ordered, and no user manual either. This comes in the post separately, also dealer setup is recommended and not for the user initially. Therefore, when these are shipped out to the owner, they have to wait for the dealer to arrive and set up in room according to Wendell's electronic room response calibration devices/tools. The dealer will have these tools/items and will be able to assist in room setup. The explanation to this is because the 30.7's are a new design, Magnepan wants the owner to be fully satisfied with these, therefore the dealers are guided and trained as to how to do this and tailor make the best possible sound for the owners room... So I was told.

Comparing the CLX's, you are probably well aware of the specs, plus they are fully assembled, nothing to worry about and no drama... And no waiting for the dealer nor cables, and best of all, the owners manual is supplied!
Now that's a general comparison and I guess, the CLX's being what they are, would require at least 3 people to lift out of its shipping cartons and help set up. Once placed upright, a single person can do the rest. The CLX's are far heavier than the Maggies to begin with. Maggies can be set up by two people as well as carried and lifted by two, nothing more...

2. The second part comparison;
Personal preference:
This I term as "personal preference" simply because I have selected the specific type of amplification to drive my CLX's according to the type of music I have a passion for. Jazz, vocals, strings, piano ensembles with modern jazz, blues, and other acoustic versions with a live sense, natural recordings and mostly LP's. Although I do enjoy CDs & SACDs, my passion is the high quality playback from tube amplification driving the CLX's and having the TT as the main source.

My preferences in artists range from Diana Krall, Casandra Wilson, George Benson, Earl Klugh, Bob James, Three Blind mice jazz, Liz Wright, Holy Cole, Norah Jones, Anushka Shankar, Larry Carlton, Kenny Burrell, Oregon and Fourplay and so on...

So with that in mind, I have tailor made the system to reproduce that type of music at the highest level possible in terms of overall performance and musicality.
The amplifiers I use are all Conrad Johnson monoblocks and the CT5 preamp. The cables, interconnects and power cords are a full Nordost Heimdall 2 and Frey 2 combination of interconnects and speaker wire, including the Nordost Qbase 8 and QX4 devices. This has reached a perfect balance and level of synergy that nothing I have ever previously owned comes close to it. Some of the big gear I owned in the past, Apogee Divas, Infinity's, Maggies, Quads and the CLS IIz, driven with various amplification gear. Although certain systems were excellent in their own regard and performance parameters, none of those combinations could deliver what the CLX's and CJ gear can do for me.

Main comparison points based on the above:
1.The Maggies can deliver a large big soundstage, it can seem to be rather too big at times but this can be sorted out by careful placement.
2. They can play loud, and have very powerful dynamics, the bass does go quite low and does capture all the low notes, and has the ability to propel this bass wave like canon fire, provided the main amplifiers are up to the task!
3. The ribbon tweeter is far more coherent with the rest of the panel and doesn't wonder off into the woods on its own...
4. They've used slightly better quality parts and materials in the 30.7's compared to all previous Maggies and thus makes a huge difference.
5. These have multiple arrays of placement, this it's upto the user to optimise which array and which placement with the help of the dealers guidelines...

Comparing those 5 points with the CLX's:
I will mention only one point in summary:
The CLX's are totally transparent, crystal clear, and captures every single detail on the recording. They can disappear in an instant! The speed and sheer brilliance in the mids, highs and bass is remarkable! It's fully balanced with the right kind of amplification and when dialed in properly, I don't require a sub at all for my types of music. The quality of parts and materials used throughout are top notch, a far above the quality of the Maggies. They are easy to set up and get going however the impedence curve is a killer! So if the amplifiers cannot deliver the required current, the CLX's will not perform their best.

The overall naturalness and musicality of the CLX's are my preference but as I said, just to experience something else once in awhile is also nice.
Cheers, hope that helps in comparison.
RJ

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Mmm...
You have to remember that there will always be an ultimate to beat the "ultimate"! Hence, in all my experience there simply is noultimate, it's only a "mind set... "

Just got wind that Magnepan have introduced a new version of the 30.7 Now the 30.7i... What on earth is going on?
If this is the case then Magnepan have clearly lost the plot! Or I'm suspecting that someone has been put to task in order to get those flaws corrected in the previous version, and quickly address these aspects by creating a slightly modified version, so call it the "i".
Magnepan also did this very same thing with the MG3.7 first, only later on to introduce the 3.7i

However, that "i" series took a little while, a few years the most, to be introduced, and so it was well received.

Now this is completely a shot in the foot! Having the 30.7 just launched, fresh out of the oven... And received all sorts of mixed reviews, of which many demos across the US weren't positive, and now they Re-introduced the very same model with an "i" series, oh boy, here we go again...

This is also not going to go well with current customers, people who have already placed orders for the previous version and still waiting for delivery!
Definitely not a good sign, in fact quite a foolish move. Anyway, they have their own reasons, all the best to them.

Can anyone confirm this from Whitebear lake Minnesota?
Or is it a typo...

RJ

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Seems like it was a typo afterall, then posted on Stereo Net in Aus, just to cause confusion deliberately done by the owner in order to gain attention... What a waste of time!

I guess some people require reassuring due to having insecurities...oh well as long as they can enjoy their music, that's all that matters.
Cheers, and enjoy those panels!
RJ

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Well it looks like that time has come... The MG30.7's are being sold. I had the feeling this wasn't going to end too well. Which leads to a very important point - the main power amplification.

This was the only 30.7 system ever to arrive in Aus, and the asking price direct from the importer in Sydney is around 56 grand. That's definitely not easy money. Heading towards the category of top high-end gear. Whether this price is worth for a 30.7 system or not is debatable given the vast array of fantastic speakers available... Also several members have asked me whether Maggies are worth that kind of money in general.

My initial post on this particular system and its setup was quite positive in general and had the opportunity to improve. However, after subsequent visits and other auditions with different top line amplifiers, the signs were quite obvious.

The answer to that I must point out lies in the power amp. Simply because Maggies like most other panels, are very revealing. What goes in - comes out. The main power amp used in this particular setup is all McIntosh. Infact the entire setup is McIntosh, from TT all the way down to the power amps. If Mac provided carpeting, then the carpet would have been just that!

I sincerely believe that this sound is great, and the Mac amps have no issues driving difficult loads plus large panels but that's about all it really does - "drives" the Maggies. Compared to what I've owned with Maggies in the past- CJ, VTL, Manley, VAC, Sonic Frontiers, CJ's SS amps MF2300, MF2200 & MF2500, are all superb driving Maggies. In fact at Manley Labs they use a pair of MG3.5/r as one of their reference systems for impedence loading and matching, if I'm correct.

Also during my recent auditions with the 30.7's, Apogee Diva's and Alsyvox ribbons, including the CLX's, all these systems were driven with either CJ gear or Dan D'Augostino amplifiers, and most recently the big VAC Statement power amplifiers. Both the VAC Statement and CJ's ART300's are in a class of their own. Superb amplifiers at their finest, not just raw power in terms of Class AB but also the effortless drive and high musicality both these amplifiers deliver is just a marvel to experience.

In conclusion, I firmly believe that both factors, the power amps and room interaction plays a huge role. Simply because from what I've heard and experienced the sheer brilliance and beauty of sound of what these systems offer driven by the right kind of amplification, will sound just marvellous!

And with the wrong type or incorrect fit of amplifiers used, the system is "lacking in soul & depth". Also this particular room has wall to wall carpeting, and four walls fully enclosed. Wall to wall carpeting kills the natural mids and dynamics, and the four walls does not allow the system to breathe freely in an open space.

Heavily damped rooms that are fully enclosed are not going to bring any high-end system to life, and this is the sole reason where people who haven't addressed the basics start blaming the speakers or something else...
So the Maggies are going, looks like they're going to be replaced by Avantgarde horns or Genesis speakers.

Well I guess some do want to go back to those designs once they're used to a particular type of sound, which is a personal preference, so nothing wrong with that.

CJ amplifiers have a remarkable way of driving speakers, handling notorious loads, delivering high current, stable power supplies and at the same time sound extraordinarily musical, that's an achievement!

We should all count ourselves very fortunate to own such fine audio gear that brings our systems to life.
Cheers to CJ! All the Best RJ.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
It's been quite a while since I've been in contact with the sole owner of the MG30.7's since late last year. After quite a few dramas of the thought process put into different types of speakers that could replace his 30.7's... I firmly believed that these were special maggies in every regard and they're one of kind. Therefore, don't get rid of!

Happy to report after a brief couple of chats, the 30.7's are staying and a few upgrades have been done in terms of amplification. So the preamp was upgraded to the C53 and the power amp was upgraded to the MC462. Some may believe that from the previous MC452 there's not much of a difference but there is. The MC462 delivers a whole lot more current and this is just exactly what those massive 30.7's require.

In order to achieve that whiplash bass and snap these big boys are capable of, the amplifiers must have the ability to grip the low end and not only control it but also drive it properly. As I've mentioned before my benchmark in terms of such amplification has always been those Class A output designs, Dan D's Relentless, Progression and Momentums, superb stuff! Then comes the CH Precision and Solution gear, and of course some of my personal preferences, such as Pass Labs, VTL and CJ.

So, as soon as our lockdown situation eases, and we're allowed to graze in the meadows once again, I'll be heading to my good mates place to give the 30.7's another listen.
I'm sure this time round that MC462 will deliver the goods, the C53 pre will be performing at its best ability.

So cheers to that, now we just have to sit and hope our covid cases lessen for good and we can control ourselves... towards more understanding of this deadly virus and being aware of our responsibilities!

Best, and enjoy those fine tunes!
RJ

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
It's been quite a while since I've been in contact with the sole owner of the MG30.7's since late last year. After quite a few dramas of the thought process put into different types of speakers that could replace his 30.7's... I firmly believed that these were special maggies in every regard and they're one of kind. Therefore, don't get rid of!

Happy to report after a brief couple of chats, the 30.7's are staying and a few upgrades have been done in terms of amplification. So the preamp was upgraded to the C53 and the power amp was upgraded to the MC462. Some may believe that from the previous MC452 there's not much of a difference but there is. The MC462 delivers a whole lot more current and this is just exactly what those massive 30.7's require.

In order to achieve that whiplash bass and snap these big boys are capable of, the amplifiers must have the ability to grip the low end and not only control it but also drive it properly. As I've mentioned before my benchmark in terms of such amplification has always been those Class A output designs, Dan D's Relentless, Progression and Momentums, superb stuff! Then comes the CH Precision and Solution gear, and of course some of my personal preferences, such as Pass Labs, VTL and CJ.

So, as soon as our lockdown situation eases, and we're allowed to graze in the meadows once again, I'll be heading to my good mates place to give the 30.7's another listen.
I'm sure this time round that MC462 will deliver the goods, the C53 pre will be performing at its best ability.

So cheers to that, now we just have to sit and hope our covid cases lessen for good and we can control ourselves... towards more understanding of this deadly virus and being aware of our responsibilities!

Best, and enjoy those fine tunes!
RJ
Look forward to haveing you over for a listen. It’s a big improvement since you herd them last time and fully run in as well.cheers

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
No worries at all matey.

Hey G-man, just in case you get bored with the 30.7's, let me know I'll bring my truck around to haul them away to my place, ha! No payment involved since it's between maties... even better!

Like I said just hang on to them, these maggies took Magnepan a very long time to design and finalise on their attributes, can easily compete with the big guns, no sweat! I know what they can do, so they're one of a kind mate.

I understand the gear you have behind them sometimes doesn't do much justice in terms of the 30.7's full potential, I wouldn't stress about it at all. Just sit back, light that cigar and pour that scotch! Cheers G-man
RJ

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Ok maties, with restrictions slowly easing... I ventured out a bit and revisited two very very different systems.

1. My good mates place- Maggie 30.7's with his new Mac line up, much much better. It had far greater control, very good coherency and the ribbon tweeter didn't wonder off... The MC462 was able to control these huge panels with ease, and deliver truly superb low frequency content, was a remarkable experience. The C53 combination with this new MC462 is a great combination, no doubt. At least the design team behind Mac have really thought it through and put together something that's actually far more neutral sounding, which is a good thing allowing more of the original recording to be captured. The MC462 also delivers apprx 60% more current, and I believe this is the most significant contributor to gripping that panel. Driving two mids/highs panels around 7ft tall is one task, on top of that having to control and drive two bass panels per side, which is 4 bass panels in total plus 7ft tall, is a tremendous amount of strain on any amplifier. That's why when I heard these for the first time driven by the Relentless monoblocks, that was something else!
Anyway, he's now enjoying the 30.7's to the fullest and they've also nicely run-in, as this is another hurdle to overcome with multiple panels. They need an awful lot of break-in hours.

2. System two, which just happened today, was the drop dead gorgeous SF Strads. What a work of art, nothing quite like the finish. These were the dark grey graphite finish, simply exquisite! Just three days I polished my CLX's with that special furniture grade orange oil that ML supplies. Once polished the grain on the wood looked exquisite. Then when I saw the Strads, I thought oh my! Now only if ML could offer a finish like this... there goes the price up another 5grand or more.
Anyway, the Strads were driven with the wonderful CJ GATS2 and the mighty mothership, which makes the Starship Enterprise look relatively small- the Gryphon Mephisto, bloody huge! It makes my fine CJ amplifiers look like toys! Although they're certainly not toys!!!

Anyway, coming in at a healthy 175w pure Class A with that finesse and Gryphon power, oh my was that something! Very relaxing sound at the same time very enjoyable, could very very happily live with either of these very different systems.
The 30.7's room has been optimised so it's probably at its best. Whereas the Strads need a bit more tweaking in that particular room. A few variables need attention and listening position plus finer placement, which the owner is definitely attending to. Overall, it was an absolute pleasure to experience.

Then I got home around 6pm. Ate some sushi, rested for 1hr. Did a HIT workout, lifted about 124kg of weights, a good 40min workout with plenty of current & high voltage..., had a shower and started my listening session at 10pm. Now it's 1:16am and absolutely loving it!
Listening to Melody Gardot on LP, superb!

Cheers msties, and enjoy those fine tunes!
Big woofty woof!!! RJ

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Woof woof, RJ!

Thank you for those reports!

I literally have never heard a dipole panel loudspeaker I did not like (I have heard Analysis Audio, Apogee, Genesis Technologies, Gryphon, Magnepan, MartinLogan). But, as time has gone on, and I have heard horns and higher sensitivity cone driver speakers, I think I have come to a provisional conclusion that in general no low sensitivity loudspeaker I personally have heard (regardless of type) (except maybe MBL 101E Mk. II and MBL X-treme) can quite match the sense of "jump factor" and dynamics of high sensitivity loudspeakers in general. What is your sense of the dynamics and "jump factor" of the 30.7 compared to high sensitivity loudspeakers (of any type) you have heard?

How would you compare the sense of "jump factor" and dynamics of the 30.7 versus your CLX Art?

PS1: You didn't think we were going to just let you go to sleep, did you? :)

PS2: I might have to ask you to carry the giant Pendragon crates down the staircase to the living room, one crate on each shoulder.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
G'day Ron,
I was wondering which fellow audiophile in the land of the USA would be hovering around... perhaps everyone is too busy at the polls... I truly and sincerely hope you all deserve a great leader, whoever that may be in time to come.

I received your notification on my phone just as I was flipping sides on one of my favourite LP's, Eric Bibb on Opus- "just like love." It's a superb recording and through the CLX's I can virtually reach out and shake EB's hand, congratulating him on such a fabulous performance!

Speaking of which, I replayed those tracks I listened to on both of those systems, 30.7's and the Strads. Three Blind Mice Jazz- Acqua Marine was one of them and Patricia Barber's- Companion album was the other.
I will say on both the 30.7's and Strads, the bass was far more profound than on the CLX's. In fact the LF extension on the 30.7's is a formidable force and one not to be taken lightly compared with any maggie design or any panels for that matter. After hearing these giant ribbons for the first time with the Momentum preamp and Relentless amps, I knew straight away that these chaps at maggie-ville were onto something. The major hurdles were room size, multiple placement options & configurations, and amplification. Then after hearing these back in Melb with Mac pre-power combination I was a bit underwhelmed, it didn't quite have the bite factor compared to the Relentless amps, no chance.
However, with the newer design and layout of the C53 plus MC462, now this combination is quite different. Obviously I would still prefer the Relentless amps but at over 200grand a pair of monoblocks vs this particular Mac combination at less than 1/4 that price, I simply cannot fault it, rather just sit back and enjoy it to the fullest.

There would be one combination I would really like to try and that is the mighty Gryphon Mephisto on the 30.7's, now that will be a revelation! Perhaps also the preamp being the CJ GATS2, since I know this preamp so well but yet again I just my CT5 merely due to the Sovtek tubes compared to 6922's as input stage. Anyway, maybe in my next trip, whenever that is, I'll try to get hold of a dealer who has the Mephisto and try to arrange either a demo on the 30.7's or the CLX's.

As for the jump factor, none of these had that crazy jump factor as compared to horns, especially the Avant Garde's. Also my last experience with Alsyvox was also fairly high on the jump factor. What the 30.7's and CLX's and Strads do is reproduce music at its finest level, provided the rest of the gear is on par, obviously.

Comparing the two- 30.7's & CLX's, which I've done before in my previous posts, this time round I found something different. That is the balance of the 30.7's can go way out of whack if the main amplifier/s aren't going to hold themselves extremely well together, both in terms of firm grip and effortless drive. Not just control in that ribbon tweeter but also the massive bass panels do need some serious grip. Names like, Relentless, Momentums, Progression, CH Precision, Solution, Boulder and Pass Labs will very easily be upto this sort of task and which I've heard myself in one form or the other, they're all supreme reference amplification. However, there are other brands equally outstanding and well capable of delivering the required current to control such force. It's just a matter of finding the right one to suit your tastes and budget.

Now, referring to the bass and LF in general, if I were to force the CLX's to reproduce that kind of bass, there's no doubt subs would be required. There's no denying that. However, this is where it gets very interesting and something that I personally prefer, which others may not. Those systems, 30.7's and the Strads have plenty of thump, wallop, thunder and slam... however you want to put it. The CLX's don't have that, they weren't designed for that at all. What they do have is:
1. Speed - lightening fast LF
2. Articulation in the bass
3. Linearity and a well balanced bass
All three above is and will be accomplished only if the amplification and room are well setup, plus of course source components and relating gear.

So as I was listening since 10pm and now it's 4am, just shut down the system about half hr ago, waiting to cool off before I cover them to prevent the curious cats... my level of satisfaction and content after this last session is at its highest level. Did I miss that added LF compared to what the 30.7's and Strads delivered? Hell no! Would I like and enjoy that added LF heft that these other speakers offer? Hell yes! So what then?

Well it's quite simple, the reference point I have in terms of my tastes in music, personal preference and listening habits/ traits, caters to a particular kind of artists or shall I say musicians. People that I've heard live, from Cassandra Wilson to Bob James Fourplay group, then onto George Benson and Russell Malone, for this type of music and what it offers, I've carefully selected each and every component to put together a true work of Art, and that being CJ amplifiers with the CLX's. There's no other system I'd rather own.

If I was more into a bit of rock, pop, heavy jazz fusion, organ type music, large orchestral works and that sort of thing, Led Zep, Sting, Nickle Back and maybe Yani or Kojini Kitaro, then I would most certainly have preferred either 30.7's or even the Strads for that matter. If and only "if" I was to ever venture back towards a dynamic type design, I would gladly take upon ownership of a gorgeous pair of Strads with no hesitation.

Most of those speakers you've mentioned Ron, were actually on my short list at one point, going back to 2016/18; Audio Analysis, Maggie's, Genesis, ML Ren15a and AG Duo XD's... a few others as well but at the end of the day, I had a very clear vision and a set point of reference, one that will make me fully content, fully immersed and engaged with the performance and one that captures every detail on the recording in its purest form, and that's the CLX's. Hence, I would never use subs of any form or other with the CLX's, the three points above on their LF detail will be merely ruined by subs, so that sort of low level thump I really don't require.

Hope that answered most of your questions Ron.
Speaking of workouts and lifting, I used to have much more power in the shoulders, that was over 20yrs ago when I was playing club rugby in the UK. I was around 118kg, had all the speed and might... this is going back to 91 -93. Fast fwd to 2016 just four yrs ago I was 116kg but full of gelly and flab... Now, thanks to the wifey's extreme workout regime and her iron lady power trips... I needed to show who's the man! So I started benching and curling again and dropped to a healthy 96kg! Ok, after four sushi rolls, banana bread slice and few cashew nuts, it's usually around 97-98kg. But still that's a darn good effort. So, basically now everything seems to be dropping, shoulders, chest, including me pants... ha! Yet agsin I have to keep the flag flying- the Golden Lion with sword! Anyway, I guess as long as the music is good, the soul is cleansed. I'm not sure if I would be able to carry each of your mighty Pendragon's down stairs one on each shoulder but 25yrs most definitely!

Now that's a big woofty woofer!
Cheers Ron, and enjoy those very fine tunes on those Pendragon's.
Best, RJ

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Good point Ron and I absolutely agree with you. the 30.7s cart compete with high sensitivity horn speakers for dynamics and that’s the reason I have 3 different systems.the magnapan 30.7s for vocal, acoustic music and classical music. I have a pair of klipschorns at the back of room and 2 pairs of stacked lascalas at the front of room. I use the horns for pop, rock and any type of music which requires dynamics and punch and a Jump factor.there simply isn’t a pair of speakers that can do every thing I require.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Hey raj i look forward to a listen to your clx tomorrow and I am glad your system delivers exactly what you require.I also agree with you that the magnapan 30.7s have surberb bass extension. But I cart help but disagree that the bass of the 30.7 s has slam wallop and thunder As it doesn’t. It’s deep and extended and very tuneful and tight that provides a solid foundation for the mids and highs.a good way to explain this is with double bass it sounds full, rich and true to size and like the real thing on the 30.7s.I find full bass extension to be critical to the overall sound even if you are playing music like a classical chamber recording That has very little bass.I am extremely happy with the performance of my Maggie’s but I would never say they have wallop or slam in any department.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
A lot of times when I listen to the 30.7 s I don’t hear any bass yet the sound is so full and effortless. The extension of the Maggie’s bass is working its magic.a lot of clx owners and Maggie owners use sub woofers in the same way, not to hear powerful bass or thump and wallop but to make the main speakers sound much fuller and more magical.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Good point Ron and I absolutely agree with you. the 30.7s cart compete with high sensitivity horn speakers for dynamics and that’s the reason I have 3 different systems.the magnapan 30.7s for vocal, acoustic music and classical music. I have a pair of klipschorns at the back of room and 2 pairs of stacked lascalas at the front of room. I use the horns for pop, rock and any type of music which requires dynamics and punch and a Jump factor.there simply isn’t a pair of speakers that can do every thing I require.

I understand.

My primary musical interest is vocals, and for vocals I like dipole panels best.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing