The ***Official*** Progressive Rock Thread

Simon Moon

Apr 24, 2015
I've never seen this thread before!

I will have to read the intro posts by Ron Party this weekend.

I have been listening to, and collecting prog since 1973 or thereabouts.

I am a fan of most sub-genres, and all eras.

My main interests are: Zeuhl, avant-prog (RIO), symph, fusion, technical-metal and prog-metal. But there is something to like in all sub-genres.

I once worked at a record store in LA that specialized in imported prog from all over the world. I was the last prog guy there, before it went all punk and new wave.

My knowledge is quite extensive.

Reactions: Catcher10

Catcher10

Dec 28, 2018
Porcupine Tree~Fear Of A Blank Planet
Tonefloat TF40 (2007)
Mixed/Mastered by Steven Wilson
Record Industry Netherlands pressing

Reactions: PierreB and Skylab

Catcher10

Dec 28, 2018
I've never seen this thread before!

I will have to read the intro posts by Ron Party this weekend.

I have been listening to, and collecting prog since 1973 or thereabouts.

I am a fan of most sub-genres, and all eras.

My main interests are: Zeuhl, avant-prog (RIO), symph, fusion, technical-metal and prog-metal. But there is something to like in all sub-genres.

I once worked at a record store in LA that specialized in imported prog from all over the world. I was the last prog guy there, before it went all punk and new wave.

My knowledge is quite extensive.
The info is taken from ProgArchives.com website, which gives a "definition" of all the subgenres of progressive rock. I'm a VIP member at ProgArchives, been there for about 10yrs now.
What you listed you like I am sure you will find tons of new and old artists to explore........

Cheers!

Simon Moon

Apr 24, 2015
The info is taken from ProgArchives.com website, which gives a "definition" of all the subgenres of progressive rock. I'm a VIP member at ProgArchives, been there for about 10yrs now.
What you listed you like I am sure you will find tons of new and old artists to explore........

Cheers!

I am quite familiar with Progarchives and their descriptions. I did not read any of the original posts yet, or I would have recognized the descriptions.

Thank you!

BobM

Feb 5, 2014
Long Island, NY
I've been a member of the Progressiveears.org forum for many years. Definitely the best site to read about and discuss prog music, of all genre's.

Catcher10

Dec 28, 2018
Genesis~The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
ATCO SD 2-401 (1974)
Monarch pressing/Porky cut

Reactions: Skylab

Catcher10

Dec 28, 2018
Riverside~Second Life Syndrome
InsideOut Music 0504171 (2011)
Mixed at Serakos Studios/Mastered by Jacek Gawlowski
Optimal Media GmbH Pressing

Reactions: ngamountains

Simon Moon

Apr 24, 2015
One of my favorite of the subgenres of prog, is RIO, or more accurately known as avant-prog.

Progarchives description, I feel is quite accurate:

"Avant-prog is generally considered to be more extreme and 'difficult' than other forms of progressive rock, though these terms are naturally subjective and open to interpretation. Common elements that may or may not be displayed by specific avant-prog artists include:

- Regular use of dissonance and atonality.
- Extremely complex and unpredictable song arrangements.
- Free or experimental improvisation.
- Fusion of disparate musical genres.
- Polyrhythms and highly complex time signatures.

Most avant-prog artists are highly unique and eclectic in sound and consequently tend to resist easy comparisons. However, Frank Zappa is often cited as a major influence on many avant-prog artists due to his early adoption of avant-garde and experimental attitudes within a predominantly rock/jazz context."

I will add to this description, that while most prog bands tended to be influenced by classical music of the Classical, Romantic, and early 20th century, the avant-prog bands tend to be influenced by classical music from the mid to late (up though Contemporary periods).

Even when prog was out of favor, and there was a dearth of prog released, avant-prog seemed to somehow avoid the bad press of other prog genres. So, all through the 80's, there was a fair amount of avant-prog still being release. This only seemed to accelerate after the prog revival of the mid 90's.

Some of the new bands in this subgenre are:

Aranis (Belgium), Ahvak (Israel), Akinetón Retard (Chile), Alamaailman Vasarat (Finland), Discus (Indonesia), Far Corner (USA), Sleepytime Gorilla Museum (USA), and there are dozens and dozens more,

Here's a sample of this genre, but it only skims the surface.

Last edited:

Simon Moon

Apr 24, 2015
Another one of my favorite subgenres is Zeuhl. This subgenre was pretty much the creation of one person, Christian Vander of Magma. He also created his own language.

He was influenced by 20th century classical and John Coltrane.

One of the earliest bands influenced by Magma, were French compatriots, Eskaton. Their first release "4 Visions" is one of the best in the genre, after Magma. The opening track is close to orgasmic!

A much more recent Zeuhl band, from my home town of Los Angeles, is Corima.

Last edited:

Catcher10

Dec 28, 2018
@Simon Moon
Good stuff for sure, although never been able to get into Magma, I have a couple albums don't get played. I really can't handle the klingon vocals LOL.
RIO/Avant has some great music.....

Reactions: Simon Moon

Catcher10

Dec 28, 2018
The Tangent~Proxy
InsideOut Music IOMLP 518 (2018)
Mixed by Andy Tillison
Optimal Media GmbH pressing

Catcher10

Dec 28, 2018
Porcupine Tree~Signify
Delerium DELEC LP 045D (1996)
Mixed by Steven Wilson/Mastered at Serendipity
Porky Prime Cut

Reactions: PierreB and Skylab

Catcher10

Dec 28, 2018
Marillion~Marbles
Madfish SMALP972 (2004/2011)
Mastered at Super Audio Mastering
Optimal Media pressing in Germany

Catcher10

Dec 28, 2018
Jethro Tull~ A Passion Play
Chrysalis 2564630775 (1973/2014)
Remix by Steven Wilson
Record Industry Netherlands pressing

Catcher10

Dec 28, 2018
Steven Wilson~Insurgentes
KSCOPE 808 (2009)
Masterdisk by Andy Van Dette/Optimal Media cut and pressed
SW Mixing

Skylab

May 14, 2016
Chicagoland
Spock’s Beard - The Kindness of Strangers

CD77A125-C8C8-4A0B-9F72-37DE4764B8C9.jpeg

Skylab

May 14, 2016
Chicagoland
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing

Skylab

May 14, 2016
Chicagoland

Skylab

May 14, 2016
Chicagoland
Dream Theater - Scenes From a Memory

Happy birthday, Mike Portnoy!

135B9F4F-EAE2-4ED2-9FC0-164B68C370A0.jpeg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing