The ***Official*** Progressive Rock Thread

Onepoint5

Sep 23, 2011
Love this thread and information!

I keep playing the albums as listed below every now and again, love Progressive rock especially mid 70's and even some of the new bands, like Elder, good to hear.

kraan+fr.jpg
Recognised as Krautrock, more rhythmic than melodic.

nektar-remember-the-future.jpg

Top band Nektar, this album is played once a month, and always enjoy it, all the way through. On SACD is really nice with bonus tracks.

thirstymoon-youllnevercomeback(1).jpg

Quite a few bands have English lyrics, Thirsty Moon is no exception. They had a rocky collaboration with a lot of bickering, but this album has got it together. Hard rock rhythms, head banging, if you like, a typical progressive, instant beat changes. Suggested track : Trashman

VDGG Godbluff.jpg

Godbluff is very dark, lyrics are outstanding poetry and Japanese SACD is worth finding.

The sundial draws a line upon eternity
Across every number
How long the time seems, how dark the shadow
How straight the eagle flies, how straight towards his arrow
How long the night is - why is this passage so narrow?
How strange my body feels, impaled upon the arrow

Now to discover more in this thread!

Hipper

Jun 12, 2011
Hertfordshire, UK
I note Barclay James Harvest hasn't been mentioned. In their early days they toured with an orchestra which of course proved crippling expensive. The orchestra leader, Robert Godfrey, went off to form The Enid. BJH's symptomatic song is Mockingbird:

Probably their best album though is 'Barclay James Harvest and other Short Stories'.

They ditched the orchestra and used keyboards and became quite successful in Germany in particular. Bits of them are still active but, in my view, offer nothing much.

Hipper

Jun 12, 2011
Hertfordshire, UK
Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this interesting thread.

I'll throw in a few more names I don't think I've seen mentioned:

High Lamas - The Track Goes By
Fuchsia - Shoes and Ships
Levellers - Elation
Wally - To the Urban Man

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Whoa, this is a monster classic US prog album right there! I still need an original LP of that...
Funny that most american prog fans don't even know their country produced such gems :)
Unfortunately, their keyboard player, Tom Doncourt, passed away a few months ago. He was working on some new material.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Whoa, this is a monster classic US prog album right there! I still need an original LP of that...
Funny that most american prog fans don't even know their country produced such gems :)
Unfortunately, their keyboard player, Tom Doncourt, passed away a few months ago. He was working on some new material.
Well thats a shame RIP.
If you want an original Delta pressing the tag starts at $450.00 and goes up from there. Only 10,000 copies pressed...in 1978 no less.
The reissue is very available for considerably less. Listening on Spotify right now.
A great album to come along in a pretty $hitty moment for prog rock.
Good stuff!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Neil Peart RIP
Well, I waited a long time to contribute to this thread, this seems a time I couldn't avoid it.

I'll let others paste links to Rush albums and songs. But Neil should be the focus of every prog lover right now. And even if you hate prog, you cannot deny the indomitable spirit of a musician who reinvented his style late in his career, endured unimaginable tragedy in his life, personal and health, and was an iconoclastic stylist and lyricist of precision and cultured observation.

Neil Peart, a true hero to me and many many millions.

Reactions: Skylab

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Neil Peart RIP
Well, I waited a long time to contribute to this thread, this seems a time I couldn't avoid it.

I'll let others paste links to Rush albums and songs. But Neil should be the focus of every prog lover right now. And even if you hate prog, you cannot deny the indomitable spirit of a musician who reinvented his style late in his career, endured unimaginable tragedy in his life, personal and health, and was an iconoclastic stylist and lyricist of precision and cultured observation.

Neil Peart, a true hero to me and many many millions.

Well said. :(

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Madfloyd, it is hugely sad, but Neil has left a huge legacy. His philisophical outlook was instrumental in me questioning a few views I had as I started listening to Rush's music. And I'm sure many other's too. It would have been v easy for Neil and Rush to try and churn out "me too" albums as they hit their maximum creative phase.

Going from Moving Pictures to Signals has gotta be one of the bravest creative decisions ever taken by a modern rock band. Total market breakthru and display of maximum instrumental and songwriting prowess on Moving Pictures to (for a mainstream prog rock act) experimental potential career ending album. They scored maximum kudos in my mind for that direction alone, the very definition of prog.

Reactions: Skylab

Skylab

May 14, 2016
Chicagoland
I’m a huge fan of Rush, and of Neil specifically. To me he is the greatest rock drummer of all time. I’m so grateful I got to see them live, and to have taken my kids to see them, as they too are Rush fans now.

RIP, Neil.

rgmd11

Mar 30, 2017

The nearest Sweet ever got to progressive rock, a great track by a very underrated band

Last edited:
Reactions: asiufy

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Once I was watching the Adventures of Power. Not the best movie ever and I would have a long list of films I would recommend instead, but boy, how surprised I was when I saw Neil Peart in it.

aLLeARS

VIP/Donor
Feb 20, 2020
Here's another one often missed:
Helmet of Gnats - "Time Slip". Available in Hybrid SACD (stereo and surround) as well as 44.1k/16bit streaming.
Instrumental Progressive Rock/Fusion for those who like that genre.

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
What, no Triumvarat? Did I miss it?

Attachments

• BE7D8E66-0918-4322-BFBA-69C5BDECA32F.jpeg
    BE7D8E66-0918-4322-BFBA-69C5BDECA32F.jpeg
    28.8 KB · Views: 1

Designsfx

Sep 26, 2023
Los Angeles
I’m new to WBF and was hoping to find a thread like this- Awesome!
If you haven’t heard this yet give it a shot- I have it playing now.
Neo-progressive rock new from Serbia

Monah- Utopija

Reactions: jgfergus

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I see that Roger Walters has seriously pissed off punters, instead of playing his dogs dinner DSOTM Redux, he spent AN HOUR reading from his auto biography.
Angry old man syndrome.

Designsfx

Sep 26, 2023
Los Angeles
To all who follow here- if you haven’t had the chance to do so please check this out, I think you’ll enjoy it!
Avkrvst- The Approbation

Reactions: jgfergus

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing