The Queen’s Gambit | Official Trailer | Netflix

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
We watched this limited 7 part Netflix miniseries about a young orphaned chess genius who learned the game from a janitor who lived in the basement of the orphanage. The orphanage was a strange place as each girl was given two pills to take at night, one was said to be a vitamin and the other was a green and black capsule that was said to help their mood.

The young girl Beth was befriended by an older black orphan who told Beth to store the "green pills" and take them at night when her mind could run wild. The story takes place during the 1950's and 1960"s when" the" drug to take was Librium. Needless to say, Beth became addicted to Librium , alcohol and just about anything she could lay her hands on

I thought the miniseries was very good, but not excellent. Having said that it ws rated 100% on Rotten Tomatoes so definitely IMO worth the watch.

Seven episodes only, each between 48 minutes and 65 minutes. If you like chess this is a wonderful story and is easy to watch

Based on the novel by Walter Tevis, the Netflix limited series drama The Queen's Gambit is a coming-of-age story that explores the true cost of genius. Abandoned and entrusted to a Kentucky orphanage in the late 1950s, a young Beth Harmon (Anya Taylor-Joy) discovers an astonishing talent for chess while developing an addiction to tranquilizers provided by the state as a sedative for the children. Haunted by her personal demons and fueled by a cocktail of narcotics and obsession, Beth transforms into an impressively skilled and glamorous outcast while determined to conquer the traditional boundaries established in the male-dominated world of competitive chess.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Seen entire series - very nice one

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
watched it 10 days ago; i did enjoy it and thought the acting, production and story first rate. kept me involved. the 'period' touches were well done i thought. i lived through that same time period (i'm sure many of us did) and related to it.

i recall being caught up in the Bobby Fischer phenomena back in the day.

Reactions: MRJAZZ

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
This was a excellent series and significantly more than a chess story. Addiction, friendships, what makes a family and so much more.

This was the firs time I recall seeing Anya Taylor-Joy and she sure captures your attention. I am sure we will be seeing her in many starring roles for years to come. You watched her play someone from about 13 to 20 or so years old and she was able to capture the growth of the character spot on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve Williams

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
It’s been My favorite series so far this year although The Crown starts in 3 days and that has always been my favorite
Steve, what did you think about Tehran. I found that well done too and look forward to a Season 2.

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
One interesting thing about The Gambit is that it was filmed in Berlim and it’s near places.
the orphanage is an old mansion close to the city.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Reactions: Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
My wife and I just finished the series last night. Really a terrific production, and having spent time in an orphanage as a child there were some uncomfortable scenes that resonated deeply. Seeing the self-destructive behaviors very much typical and expected for children from that environment. The deep friendship that saves her also not atypical, the bonds formed can be life-long. I very much enjoyed there were so many that deeply cared for young Beth, though she was too young and self-absorbed to notice. I also was opened up to just how deeply passionate someone might be about the game of chess--no different than Tiger to golf, MJ to hoops, or Brady to football. The binge-able series format allowed for much more character development than a 2-hour movie.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing