The Significance of Speaker Impedance – Avantgarde’s Change from 8 to 18 Ohms

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
When I first started dabbling with loudspeaker design and my own DIY efforts, virtually all hi-fi speakers were rated at 15 ohms.

Then rather rapidly the industry moved to 8 ohm speakers.

Why? Was it the transition from tube to solid state amplification that prompted this wholesale change in speaker design?

And why have a few brands more recently gone the other way?

Example Avantgarde horn speakers. Avantgarde didn’t exist in the old 15-ohm days, but their Unos, Duos and Trios were all introduced in the late 1990s at the then standard 8 ohm nominal impedance. Then in about 2006, their new Omega range saw the drivers changed to nominal 18 ohms.

So much was claimed of these new drivers that many Duo owners parted with significant sums of hard-earned cash to change the drivers in their speakers to Omega ones - and everyone crowed over how huge the improvement was. Perhaps they had to say that after spending so much, but let’s be generous and agree on this as a significant improvement in sound quality.

Perhaps the new drivers were simply better irrespective of their new impedance, but Avantgarde speakers remain at this 18 ohm impedance to this day.

Why is this? Will other brands change to use higher impedance speakers or will Avantgarde remain the odd man out? Is it because these high sensitivity horn speakers are so often powered by low powered SET tube amps? This seems a plausible explanation until you consider that Avantgarde’s own amps are all solid state.

I’d be very interested to learn more about the significance of speaker impedance, especially as I’m about to change my old 8 ohm Duos for new 18 ohm ones. Thanks. Peter

Alrainbow

Dec 12, 2013
NYC , USA
High impedance drivers were really there to suit tooby amps , OTL ‘s loves them for eg. lower impedance drivers were really better suited for high current driven SS amps, Drivers for the amps of the day for sure ...

Robh3606

Aug 25, 2010
Destiny
I don't think there are any obvious differences between say 4-8 or 16 ohm drivers. There are drivers available with multiple impedance options. If you want to parallel up drivers you would go with 16's. If you wanted to squeeze as much power as you can from an amp for sub-woofer duty 4 would be the best option. Depends on what you are doing.

Rob :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high-end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing