the time of day has lost much of it's relevance. seems a bit disorienting to me. but i'm warming up to it.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
since there are no events or work to be late for, no restaurant reservations to arrive for, and no 'live' sports on TV to watch....and ....all our media entertainment is pretty much on demand, the time of day has lost it's relevance. we concern ourselves with the sun and our stomachs (and maybe where to find TP).

it's beyond a vacation situation for most of us.......it's a different paradigm. maybe i was in the minority as far as how much i was a captive of the time of day.....and i'm over-dramatizing this?

don't get me wrong; i've prepared my whole life to lose my watch and cell phone......but this is another animal.

i think i like it.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
since there are no events or work to be late for, no restaurant reservations to arrive for, and no 'live' sports on TV to watch....and ....all our media entertainment is pretty much on demand, the time of day has lost it's relevance. we concern ourselves with the sun and our stomachs (and maybe where to find TP).

it's beyond a vacation situation for most of us.......it's a different paradigm. maybe i was in the minority as far as how much i was a captive of the time of day.....and i'm over-dramatizing this?

don't get me wrong; i've prepared my whole life to lose my watch and cell phone......but this is another animal.

i think i like it.
I have been doing it for 2 weeks now, and i’m definitely not ready for retirement !
Yes there is lots of time for system experimentation and music listening, but
without the time out for work it’s not as pleasurable. And the day seem to disappear fast with little to show for. Maybe it is just me :rolleyes:

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

i think i like it.

Mike, I have been retired for almost 2 years now and it took a while but I am finally doing things (waking up, going to bed, eating, etc) based on what my body tells me as opposed to what the clock says. It is an amazingly different way to live.

Having said that, being forced to live like that due to an uncontrolled virus outbreak is not fun.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I will be retired a year on 5/1. Some days when I wake up I can’t make up my mind what day it is. This virus time is trivial.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I feel like a yenta grandma living in Boca Raton.

7:00 am: What do you wanna eat
for breakfast?

11:00 am: What do you wanna eat
for lunch?

5:00 pm: Early Bird Special at Szechuan Palace or Canter's Deli?

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Lockdown totally sucks. The joie de vive is gone.

I miss simple things like getting Saturday breakfast, grabbing happy hour with friends, or dinner with my significant other. Maybe for older folks life hasn’t changed but for us Gen Xers it sure has.

Reactions: sujay and Folsom

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
It's not great for everyone, but it's not even close to suffering. Everyone seems to be fine here. Be glad you haven't had it like my brother... he didn't go the hospital but probably should have.

Reactions: rando

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Reactions: tima and Folsom

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Are you in pajamas at two in the afternoon? :->

i don't even own pajamas. i have a bath robe i wear 3-4 times a year.

since my barn is 75 feet from the house, the weather determines my dress. and i only really fully heat my listening room in my barn, the other spaces are kept at a lower temps in the winter (it's 1800 sq ft). when i work out upstairs or watch TV upstairs i turn up the heat there.

wool layers in the winter, shorts and 'T's in the summer.

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
IDK, I guess my experience with this whole deal is different from what others are going through...

I work as an educational consultant and spend much time helping teachers, school administrators, and law-makers develop programs, and policy for kids who are deafblind. Right now everyone is scrambling, trying to figure out how to support families and the kids who don't have a school to go to. Many of these kids don't have a lot of formal language and need higher levels of support.

Our parents are becoming stressed to the max; either trying to work from home while they support their families day-to-day or (for a lot of our poorer families) wondering how they'll make ends meet with their jobs in a state of "don't know what", while still trying to support family day-to-day....

This doesn't even speak to me and my co-workers who now have kids at home ourselves and are being asked to work even harder, while still tending to our family needs....

So, to David's original point - yes, time is really strange right now. I have a lot of stress and am trying to set boundaries between work and not work; it's easy to let things mush together when time seems to be mushing together overall.... It's like a vacation where there's no shuffle board on the sun deck and I have a massive report due tomorrow, lol.

No lecture intended here. Just trying to add perspective to the conversation. :);)

Last edited:
Reactions: Folsom and Lagonda

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Ovenmitt,

certainly health care workers and work such as yours that deals with special needs is now more intense and complicated. what you do defines essential. families that rely on support that they now don't have that have real challenges. best wishes to navigate these things as best you can.

thank you for adding that perspective.

Reactions: Ovenmitt

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I just saw a report about some countries putting in prohibition rules :eek: Greenland,Australia and i think
India. Really weird o_O

jep123

VIP/Donor
Dec 23, 2012
Norway
In Norway everything has been shut down. restaurants, hotels, schools, universties and most people are working from their homes. So far 300.000 people have lost their jobs. Pop about 5,3 mill. Fortunately Norway is a very rich country and the government is giving a lot of support. But this will have a huge impact on the society as we know it. Hopefully most people will get their jobs back when this is over.

I am still working 100%, so far. On top of all this our NOK has become very weak vs USD and Euro so this also creates all sorts of problems for business like mine that are importing goods.

Well, I am still enjoying music and we are healthy. Be well and good luck.
JP

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
In Norway everything has been shut down. restaurants, hotels, schools, universties and most people are working from their homes. So far 300.000 people have lost their jobs. Pop about 5,3 mill. Fortunately Norway is a very rich country and the government is giving a lot of support. But this will have a huge impact on the society as we know it. Hopefully most people will get their jobs back when this is over.

I am still working 100%, so far. On top of all this our NOK has become very weak vs USD and Euro so this also creates all sorts of problems for business like mine that are importing goods.

Well, I am still enjoying music and we are healthy. Be well and good luck.
JP
You are probably also affected by
the low price of oil right now, much
of your income depends on it.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside

i think i like it.
As someone retiring in 30 days, I am ready for the time freedom, but know it will be a challenge. For me the biggest challenge will be adjusting to a 2/3 pay cut, but I have little debt and good toys and now the time to find the missing piece.--the significant other.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing