The Tres Amigos Ride Again-An Ongoing Saga----The Tres are Now Quattro Amigos

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
We all talk about "how it's all about the music". How many times have we uttered this or made it our mantra. I certainly cannot disagree. However for me it is more than just a hobby that is "all about the music". For me it involves all of the memories and lifelong friendships the hobby has brought to me. For that I feel this has enriched my life in so many other ways. It involves tram and vacation together, meeting new friends, hearing great systems from all around the world and being able to talk about it here

For those of you who do't know the Tres Amigos,

1. Me- MD, Ob/Gyn, retired

2 Russ the mobiusman, MD, Psychiatrist and Addictionologist

3. Marty, MD, ophthalmologist and investigational scientist

We have been friends now for close to 25 years and have traveled to one another and heard each others' systems. We have traveled together to all parts of the world to hear other members' systems all of which have enkindled great memories.

So were these all but too quick 4 days coast to coast to meet up and for me to surprise the group with one of my very dear friends who I met 9 1/2 years ago when we launched WBF. Suffice it to say we have been friends all these years and I have traveled to hear this members' system. There aren't too many better than his. but I digress. Without giving it away, the 3 are now 4 as of these past few days

Typically every year Cathy and I visit Marty in October for a few days to hear his system, hang out and have some fine dining nd to spend a few days in NYC to catch some shows.Arrangements were made for us to fly out on Monday. spend Tuesday in NJ at marty''s house and to drive south to catch up with Russ at his house. He is also in NJ but a 90 minute drive south. Russ would have preferred we come on Thursday as that would have been when Leif and Damon from VSA were there to set top his much awaited Ultra 9's. Sadly our theater tickets and schedule would only allow for a Tuesday visit however Leif was kind enough to send me an initial photo of Russ' setup and without giving the whole story which Russ will do soon, I am sure, I will post a first picture

The bonus of flying to Newark is that we can get a direct flight from John Wayne Airport. However we didn't leave until 1230 and arrived at Newark at 845 PM. After getting our luggage and then meeting up with marty it was another hour so we didn't arrive at his house until 1000 PM. The 4 of us chatted for a while but then marty and I closed the doors and I listened to marty's virtually entirely different system since I heard it last. I also have to say that any audiophile's journey is never complete without a visit to and a listen to marty's great sound system. In addition marty's knowledge of music has always resulted in me learning something new as well as hearing something different and frequently something better. Marty is always a great teacher and when I get home I find myself ordering new music, or trying to make a few changes to my system based on what I had just heard. However let's wait until my Wednesday experience hearing marty's and discuss our journey to meet Russ. So a very brief listening session before we hit the hay

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Tuesday

Sadly Tuesday was the only day with inclement weather. as we drove south to Russ. When I left home the weather was high 90's and here it was cold and raining. The weather the rest of the week couldn't have been nicer (high 60's to low 70's and sunny). Russ was working and his newly arrived speakers were still in crates in his garage with Leif and Damon arriving the next evening for a Thursday installation of all of his new electronics and speakers and turntable etc. That too was alll sitting in crates however I did see a lot of new Masterbuilt Ultras cable on the floor. I will let Russ discuss his system but I will post a first picture.

We planned to meet at an Italian deli close to Russ' house, see all his new gear and his new boat and make the trip back during peak MJ rush hour

Steve Williams

the beauty to Russ' house is that his back yard is right on the Ocean and Russ is a boat lover and recently not only has Russ changed his entire sound system but he also bought a new boat which is built for speed

IMG_9496.jpeg

Reactions: Narayan

Steve Williams

We had a good time talking but sad that we wouldn't be back in 2 days to get initial thoughts to his system. However leif did send me some pix. Here is one. The rest is a story left for Russ to tell

IMG_9616.JPG

Reactions: Narayan and Folsom

Steve Williams

Tuesday Evening _Marty's room

Marty and I now have the same speakers so I am quite in tune how mine sound but my system is all tubes in a room half the size with all Lamm Signature front and back end.

Marty's room is huge and of interest is identical in every way to within inches of his room in his last house

Steve Williams

Marty's present system

AC outlets: Low level+Amps: Shunyata Copper Conn (not yet commercially available) or Hubbell 8200 series ; For subs:Wattgate 330i Ag

Phono: Goldmund Studio (Hewlett Packard PS) w T3F arm, Benz Micro LP-S (on Vibraplane), Zanden 1200 Mk lll phonostage, Tara Zero Evo phono ICs (T3F to ASR); Masterbuilt Ultra w Furutech gold connectors from ASR to Solution 725

Digital: Meitner TX2 and DA2- Ching Cheng power cords , Tara Zero Evo ICs from DA2 to Solution 725

Server: Innuous Zenith Mk3 w 14TB Western Digital NAS running Roon; Stealth Select-T USB from Innuous to Meitner DA-2

Pre-amplifier: Solution 725

Amplifier: Soulution 511 monoamps: Masterbuilt Ultra ICs w Bocchino connectors from Soulution 725 pre to Soulution amps

JL- Audio Gotham v2 Subs: Moon Audio Silver Dragon PC (D/C'd). Belden 8214 interconnects from Soulution 725 to Gotham subs

Speakers: Wilson Alexandria S2; Masterbuilt Ultra speaker cables

Also, all PCs for the Soulution preamp and amps are Furutech DPS4.1 with Furutech copper FI-11 male and FI-46 NCF gold IEC (all made by our own Dave Cahoon). Ching Chengs everywhere else

Plus a whole lot of Center Stage footers

I knew his room which I have heard on countless other occasions was going to provide me with a very big treat

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing