The Ugly American

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I didn't know they were using different balls.
And men drawing larger audiences for the Grand Slams, my Mom can see that. My Mom is a huge fan of Men tennis, best Mom in the world. Same with my Dad, he was a big fan of Men tennis. ...And I too, and so many many more close relatives and friends and other family members.

Equal was meant in a way of human rights.

Jeffrey, Carlos Ramos made just over $600 US for umpiring that match.
Those guys work for peanuts, and endure all the heat and fury.
Nobody talks about that. If I was part of their association I would suggest some changes here too.

$600....amazing.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Yes ($633), here: https://www.news.com.au/sport/tenni...y/news-story/d0411d6458db5fdbd74dfc58b0f5ecb8

"Former professional chair umpire Richard Ings has revealed the Portuguese official was paid the princely sum of $633 for taking charge of the Osaka-Williams encounter.

That’s only a shade more than the $548 that 23-time grand slam winner Williams earned every second she was on court while losing 6-2 6-4.

We’re not for a second attempting to argue Ramos deserves equal billing but the pittance he earns for officiating one of the eight most important tennis matches held in the world each year puts the entire controversy in a different light.

It comes seven years after the New York Times revealed top chair umpires were skipping the US Open because of how poorly it paid officials.

Since then daily rates have improved, from $350 to $633, but Ings said, in his experience, rates didn’t increase for the latter stages of the tournament, including the final. In a series of tweets, he said officials spend about 12 hours a day on site.

As well as enough cash to perhaps buy himself a new pair of sunglasses and a hat as he seeks to stay incognito over the next few days, Ramos also received a mountain of public ridicule for his efforts."

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Me, after I've read this, I would tip all the officials on the tennis court, but in the best way possible, incognito, using good generosity, good understanding, good standings.
After each game players can make donations to the US Tennis Association and the money is distributed in what they consider fair shares. Because, all the people contributing on those events are part of a team.
The players like Serena and Naomi earn enough money from that Grand Slam to tip their "waiter" (umpire) appropriately. Just think about it, waiters earn less than minimum wages. Umpires earn a pittance* to serve the two athlete players.

And that, is very important.
_____

When I go to the restaurant with my lover I tip 50% (a bill for $200 I give $300).
If I was a good tennis player earnings in the seven figures per match, I would tip the umpire (here Carlos Ramos) in the five figures (between $10,000 and $99,999) and to be distributed fairly between all the other officials, line officials, etc. It's only good decent proper manners.

* In French...pitance...with only one "t" (a snack)
° http://dictionnaire.sensagent.leparisien.fr/pitance/fr-fr/

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
In tennis, at the Grand Slams, men and woman are not equal. Men play more sets, use different balls, and draw larger TV audiences. This is the one sport where woman have it a lot better and easier.

Jeffrey, you make such an obvious point. Unfortunately, the President of US Tennis, in her unwavering efforts toward gender neutrality can not discuss this fact. Thank you for pointing out that the men have a larger TV audience. I did not know that. I had thought the argument for equal pay was based on equal interest in watching the men's and women's matches and equal ticket sales, so that equal pay, while playing less, was justified. I guess I was wrong. If what you say is true, equal pay, IMO, in clearly not justified. Woman do have a much better deal in the Grand Slams. This is not equal pay for equal work.

Somehow, there is something not quite right about a blind push toward equality when what they do is not equal. I do still think that the rules should be the same for both men and woman and that they should be applied equally, but it is hypocritical to argue that the men and women do the same amount of work and deserve the same amount of pay. The doubles champions make less money than the singles champions make. Surely that compensation is based on ratings and level of interest.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Me, after I've read this, I would tip all the officials on the tennis court, but in the best way possible, incognito, using good generosity, good understanding, good standings.
After each game players can make donations to the US Tennis Association and the money is distributed in what they consider fair shares. Because, all the people contributing on those events are part of a team.
The players like Serena and Naomi earn enough money from that Grand Slam to tip their "waiter" (umpire) appropriately. Just think about it, waiters earn less than minimum wages. Umpires earn pitance to serve the two athlete players.

_____

When I go to the restaurant with my lover I tip 50% (a bill for $200 I give $300).
If I was a good tennis player earnings in the seven figures per match, I would tip the umpire (here Carlos Ramos) in the five figures (between $10,000 and $99,999) and to be distributed fairly between all the other officials, line officials, etc. It's only good decent proper manners.

Bob, I love your attitude. Tipping for service is wonderful, as long as it is earned, it is on the distributor's terms, and it is voluntary.

It seems to me that the math was not quite correct in that story. The umpire is getting paid per match, up to $633 in the finals. The finalist is paid for her last match of the tournament, based on how far she progresses, not for all of her matches leading up to her last match. So, one could calculate the money earned per second of play, but it is a much different figure than what was quoted above.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The players like Serena and Naomi earn enough money from that Grand Slam to tip their "waiter" (umpire) appropriately. Just think about it, waiters earn less than minimum wages. Umpires earn pitance to serve the two athlete players.

_____

Bob, why do you give such tips only when you go with your lover, and not otherwise?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Bob, I love your attitude. Tipping for service is wonderful, as long as it is earned, it is on the distributor's terms, and it is voluntary.

It seems to me that the math was not quite correct in that story. The umpire is getting paid per match, up to $633 in the finals. The finalist is paid for her last match of the tournament, based on how far she progresses, not for all of her matches leading up to her last match. So, one could calculate the money earned per second of play, but it is a much different figure than what was quoted above.

I was referring to the money earned from that 2018 Grand Slam by Carlos Ramos ($633), Naomi Osaka ($3.8 million plus change - winner) and Serena Williams ($1.85 million - runner-up).
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/07/how-much-the-us-open-womens-champion-will-earn.html

* Great diners always get great service from waiters.
If they don't they are not @ the right restaurant; why gamble a nice evening.

Serena Williams gambled to win her 24th Grand Slam, she lost, and not like a grand dame.

Last edited:

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I was referring to the money earned from that 2018 Grand Slam by Carlos Ramos ($633), Naomi Osaka ($3.8 million plus change - winner) and Serena Williams ($1.85 million - runner-up).
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/07/how-much-the-us-open-womens-champion-will-earn.html

* Great diners always get great service from waiters.
If they don't they are not @ the right restaurant; why gamble a nice evening.

Serena Williams gambled to win her 24th Grand Slam, she lost, and not like a grand dame.

Bob, I assume you are kidding when you are saying that the players should be tipping the umpires. That would be completely inappropriate.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
No, I am not kidding; I would....with discretion, incognito, after all is over.
It is my character, always has been, in my blood.

I am not buying anyone here, I show my appréciation to underpaid tennis officials.
Winner or loser. If you reread my prior post (143) I mentioned my line of thought.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
No, I am not kidding; I would....with discretion, incognito, after all is over.
It is my character, always has been, in my blood.

And how would that not be construed as a pay off? Umpires are supposed to be unbiased. Receiving money from some players and not others would create a questionable situation.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
anonymous tips left in a box

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Bob, did Ramos get $633 for the finals match or for all the matches he umpired for during the Open? I think he was in the chair for more matches than just Serena's. My point is that he is paid for each match. The players are paid a prize money from the tournament purse based on how far they get. IOW, the players are paid for a given amount based on how far they get in the tournament. Serena got paid 1.85M-17K for coming in second place, but she played perhaps six or seven matches. She was not paid that 1.85M for just that one match, so to calculate what she was paid per second, one must add up all the seconds that she played during the tournament's two weeks. Or looking at it another way, she played for free until her last match. That is why I think the figures quoted in that article do not add up.

I agree with others who do not think that umpires should be tipped. It is a free market and they accept the conditions of their work. No one is forcing them to work for their pay. I have spoken to umpires in badminton. They do it because they love the game, and they want to be involved at top level events to see top level play, meet the top players, and watch from the courtside. It is not about the money. If Ramos and other tennis umpires want to be paid more, they can ask for more money or organize and bargain. Is Ramos complaining about how much he was paid? Someone just brought it up to make some point about his payment versus Serena's. I don't think the large discrepancy matters here, except to point out that Serena may feel she is entitled to bully him around because of her status and huge income. If that is the case, it is deplorable. I hope that is not the case. No, I say, let the market dictate what the payments are, and tipping would er, tip the scale in favor of some players at the expense of others, which would be completely inappropriate.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Peter, Carlos Ramos got paid $633 for the match between Williams and Osaka...the two sets, including all the preparatives he did on that day, before and after the match, roughly a 12-hour day from my readings.
$633 total for that full day.

So yes, we are both on the exact same page.

* I agree with you on Serena Williams' overall attitude; deplorable, mediocre @ best. She was the one @ fault, 100%, without a single shadow of a doubt.
She should just have played "her" game after a simple coaching warning.
She couldn't take it...big big big mistake from her part, and nobody else.

The cartoon caricature describes well in good humor her overall reaction, many people's overall impression, I believe. We see what we see, if we see good it's good, if we see bad we have the wrong perception, nothing less nothing more. Life cannot be more simple than that, anything else is just cheap whiskey.
___

* The tips are secret, it's my personal suggestion after learning how much money Carlos Ramos made for umpiring the match on that day. It's me only, no one else.
And Serena Williams should apologize to Carlos, big time. She made a total imbecile of herself, absolutely disgraceful. Can she reach deep in her heart and soul? Only Serena Williams knows and can do that on her own, nobody can coach her on that stuff but her. It's inside people when they decide to reach for it. Actions speak louder than words. Williams' actions and words were despicable, hurtful to Carlos, to Naomi, to all decent human beings with real solid strong truthful life's values.

Humanity first, money and glory and power always behind...last.
Naomi Osaka => true human champion. ...A beautiful human being with true compassion and humility, real wisdom.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing