The ***Unofficial*** Multichannel DAC Thread

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
Thanks for all the suggestions you provide.

I have narrowed my choice to Orpheus Two and EMM Switchman 3. The DAC would be EMM DAC8 MKIV, which only has XLR outputs. So maybe SWM3 would be a better choice. But I am also interested in Orpheus, which had rave review in MCH pre. BTW, Is there a SE version of SWM3? http://www.inventive-av.com/emmlabs/pre_switchman3.shtml

One of the nice features of the Switchman is that you have both balanced and unbalanced inputs. And on one of the 4 sets, you can toggle it to serve either mode. Very handy !

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Thanks for all the suggestions you provide.

I have narrowed my choice to Orpheus Two and EMM Switchman 3. The DAC would be EMM DAC8 MKIV, which only has XLR outputs. So maybe SWM3 would be a better choice. But I am also interested in Orpheus, which had rave review in MCH pre. BTW, Is there a SE version of SWM3? http://www.inventive-av.com/emmlabs/pre_switchman3.shtml

What digital source(s) will you be using?

Note also that if you get the EMM stack used for 1/3 of MSRP your approach may make sense, but if you are considering buying this stuff new it does not - this is dated technology, and better gear can be had for less money. I bought and sold a switchman for around $1000. Paying over $5K for this device makes absolutely no sense.

You could stack three Myteks and link the clocks for a MCH application. You could use the Mytek build in volume control for course grained volume control, and use the digital VC on your source for fine grained VC.

john925

May 3, 2013
edorr,

Thanks for your advice. I've found both an used SWM3 and an Orpheus Two and still consider which is the better device. EMM Labs DAC8 is a 1 bit DSD DAC, while mytek, I have a master version, is a multi bit DAC. So, three mytek is not my target now.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
edorr,

Thanks for your advice. I've found both an used SWM3 and an Orpheus Two and still consider which is the better device. EMM Labs DAC8 is a 1 bit DSD DAC, while mytek, I have a master version, is a multi bit DAC. So, three mytek is not my target now.

If you are planning to use a MCH DSD source for the DAC this would be a compelling argument in favour of the EMM labs. However, I believe the only source that would allow you to run native MCH DSD into the DAC is an EMM Labs (expensive) transport. Running MCH DSD from a server into an exasound over USB will be a fraction of the price, and you have build in volume control. Of course, you would have to rip you MCH SACDs to be able to do this.

john925

May 3, 2013

You can see in this clip that Dop is received by exD USB-SDIF converter and DSD is transmitted via two BNC to mytek master version. DCC2 SE also has SDIF input to accept DSD from exD converter. And I am discussing with exD designer about a MCH version to make DAC8 MKIV play MCH DSD from computer.

JonFo

Jun 11, 2010
Big Canoe, GA
www.jonathanfoulkes.com
I guess no discussion of the fairly impressive Antelope Orion32 yet due to not many people needing the high channel count it supports (32 in / 32 out), but for those of us who have crossovers & are multichannel, it should work well. So I've been studying it closely.

In my rig, I need at least 16 out now, and 20 out with Atmos. On the input side, I need 8 today, and 12 with atmos (7.1.4).

The Orion32 can be driven via USB (great for a JRiver setup) or via MADI. So with MADI, one can integrate all kinds of sources and route to outputs in a super flexible way.

But if just doing a JRiver setup, the USB approach seems good. With the high input channel count, you could even contemplate using it as a 'switcher' for inputs if using JRiver as your audio hub.

I'm mapping out its use in a JRiver-based setup, with full crossovers and 16 outputs and driven via USB.

Anyone else looked at or used the Orion32?

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
If you are planning to use a MCH DSD source for the DAC this would be a compelling argument in favour of the EMM labs. However, I believe the only source that would allow you to run native MCH DSD into the DAC is an EMM Labs (expensive) transport. Running MCH DSD from a server into an exasound over USB will be a fraction of the price, and you have build in volume control. Of course, you would have to rip you MCH SACDs to be able to do this.

Or buy some Multichannel DSD Downloads from NativeDSD and PentaTone.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Speaking of the EMM Labs DAC8 MK. IV with Multichannel DSD, Sony is demoing that at the California Audio Show this weekend in Burlingame, CA near SFO.
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/california_audio_show_2014/sunday/sony_sacd_dsd.htm

If you want multi channel DoP, you can get the latest version of the Vanity103HD board, and stick it into an Oppo. It will output MCH DoP on 4 x S/PDIF. You then run the S/PDIFs into a stack of DSD capable DACs (e.g. PS Audio Directstream). You control volume on the DACs with remote control (they stay in synch perfectly), or put a downstream MCH analog preamp behind them.

mojave

Oct 29, 2010
Elkhorn, NE
I guess no discussion of the fairly impressive Antelope Orion32 yet due to not many people needing the high channel count it supports (32 in / 32 out), but for those of us who have crossovers & are multichannel, it should work well. So I've been studying it closely.

In my rig, I need at least 16 out now, and 20 out with Atmos. On the input side, I need 8 today, and 12 with atmos (7.1.4).

The Orion32 can be driven via USB (great for a JRiver setup) or via MADI. So with MADI, one can integrate all kinds of sources and route to outputs in a super flexible way.

But if just doing a JRiver setup, the USB approach seems good. With the high input channel count, you could even contemplate using it as a 'switcher' for inputs if using JRiver as your audio hub.

I'm mapping out its use in a JRiver-based setup, with full crossovers and 16 outputs and driven via USB.

Anyone else looked at or used the Orion32?

Paul W. at AVSForums (user name pnw) said the following:

Interface is a PCI Express card...Lynx AE16e. DAC is a Lynx Aurora 16. I first tried the new Antelope Orion for a month (32 channels over USB 2.0) but decided it wasn't stable enough for me.

He was using it when it first came out and maybe the drivers have improved by now. I just received a Lynx Aurora 16 Thunderbolt and love it. I'm using AES until I get a Thunderbolt motherboard. With a single Thunderbolt output and multiple Aurora 16's, you can scale up to 96 outputs and 96 inputs at 192kHz!

I recently installed a Solid State Logic MadiXtreme card and Alpha-Link MX 16 channel DAC in a friend's HTPC. It does 16 channels of output and you can add another 16 channels for about $1400. He wanted the expandabilty in case he goes with an Auro-3D system. I couldn't get the inputs on the Alpha-Link to work very well and it only has 4 for each 16 channels of output. My friend's theater was Home Theater of the Month for June at AVS.

JonFo

Jun 11, 2010
Big Canoe, GA
www.jonathanfoulkes.com
^^ Thanks Mojave. Paul W. must have used the early iterations of the Orion32 USB drivers, they seem much improved in current versions.

But as you found out with the SSL MADI setup, optical MADI is the way to go about interfacing high channel count D/A's. The RME cards are supremely well regarded for this.

The rig I'm contemplating is a Trinnov MC-MADI (uses the RME card) driving the Orion32 via MADI. That will be my DRC/speaker processor and I'll be feeding it the analog outs of my current preamp (Denon AVP-A1) and a future Atmos-enabled pre (Marantz 8802?).

But since the Orion32 also supports USB, I'll be feeding the outputs of a JRiver HTPC into it via USB as well to have a fully digital pathway into the Trinnov.

That SSL-based rig you mentioned looks like a pretty sweet setup if you only need 16 or fewer output channels, and expandable if you do need more. The bundle is under $1,800, not bad.

Last edited:

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
I'd certainly get the Horus over the Orion. The Horus is modular from 8 in/out to 32 in/out and will do PCM up to 384k or DSD 256fs. Has either AES67 Ravenna or MADI protocol using ASIO

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Is there a way to control Horus other than Ravenna? Is it possible to control it without using prop software?

I'd certainly get the Horus over the Orion. The Horus is modular from 8 in/out to 32 in/out and will do PCM up to 384k or DSD 256fs. Has either AES67 Ravenna or MADI protocol using ASIO

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
You can control it with anything that uses ASIO drivers

Thanks Bruce. If I used the ASIO driver on my server, could I still use the Ethernet connection with the Horus or would I need a different connection? Does the ASIO driver support MCH in/out? Have you tested it? Does the Horus ASIO work well?

Thanks for the great info. I'm more interested in the little Horus for my purposes. It looks like it could be a killer device for someone who uses MCH with DSP. I'm using Acourate now for DSP so it's important to have synchronous in /out. I've got a Hilo I'm playing with now.

Last edited:

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Thanks Brice. If I used the ASIO driver on my server, could I still use the Ethernet connection with the Horus or would I need a different connection? Does the ASIO driver support MCH in/out? Have you tested it? Does the Horus ASIO work well?

Thanks for the great info. I'm more interested in the little Horus for my purposes. It looks like it could be a killer device for someone who uses MCH with DSP. I'm using Acourate now for DSP so it's important to have synchronous in /out. I've got a Hilo I'm playing with now.

I'm using Ethernet with Audirvana.
The "little" Horus is called "Hapi" but you won't be "Hapi" when you have to shell out over $5k for it and that not including any A-D capability. To add that is another $2400, almost the same price as the unit with no I/O !!

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
The "little" Horus is called "Hapi" but you won't be "Hapi" when you have to shell out over $5k for it and that not including any A-D capability. To add that is another $2400, almost the same price as the unit with no I/O !!

That's really cool: An ASIO enabled ethernet connection. Beats the crap out of DLNA!

Where do you rank the Horus in terms of DtoA?

tailspn

Jun 28, 2011

Bruce, is the Audirvana in lieu of Pyramix Native with ASIO? Does the ASIO driver eliminate the need for Pyramix Native, and does it support DSD?

Sorry for the dumb questions; I use MassCore, so I'm completely unfamiliar with the capabilities of the ASIO driver.

prerich

May 21, 2012
Motu just released three new interfaces that could work well in a multichannel setup. The one that impresses me the most is the Motu 16a - with 16 analog outs. It doesn't state if the interface is DSD compatible - how ever it will output all of our common sample rates from 44.1khz to 192khz. http://www.motu.com/products/avb/16a

Looks promising. :cool:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing