The Uptone Audio EtherRegen audiophile switch

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
And the digiphiles said analog was complex and overfussy Lol.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
It seems people are enjoying some character change with really good external clocks--and that's great.
My point was that an external clock is not required in order to realize/enjoy/appreciate the major benefits of the EtherREGEN and its active differential isolation moat technology. And that has certainly been shown based on the many reports in the Listening Impressions thread at our forum.
Hi Alex
I did not mean to say otherwise. However (correct me if I am wrong) the conclusions I obtained from your opinions in Computer Audiophile were:
1.- An external clock will not be necessary to enjoy Ether Regen.
2.- A low quality OCXO external clock will be worse than the high quality Crystek XO implemented in Ether Regen.
3.-However, an external OCXO watch, of high quality, we do not know if it will produce improvements or not.
Indeed, if it is established that a high-quality OCXO improves EtherRegen, this opens up the possibility of an EtherRegen SE in the future, with a built-in internal high-quality OCXO.

Hieukm

Oct 2, 2016
The idea is to have TT performance when streaming. Easy to understand but hard execution.

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
The idea is to have TT performance when streaming. Easy to understand but hard execution.
While I get and empathise with exactly what you’re saying, it certainly wouldn’t be my goal. To take todays technology and aim to make it sound like something based on dragging a sharpened diamond down a spiral grove in some plastic? I do understand that diamond + groove can sound pretty good, so surely the challenge is to take modern technology and make it sound even better? Otherwise what is really the point? Vinyl technology is noisy, subject to contamination, clunky, and due solely to its design has limited dynamics, limited frequency fidelity, wear problems, and limitations encoding 2 independent channels. It is highly sensitive to microns and milligrams, temperature/compliance is an issue, it is super delicate, has build-in geometry limitations. etc. If, in spite of all those limitations we can’t surpass the resulting sound quality then something is seriously wrong IMHO.
Now I can imagine and indeed support the idea that people like and enjoy vinyl, like the sound it produces and enjoy fiddling with its intricacies. More power to ya! Its just that as a goal, an ‘idea’, emulating the sound of vinyl replay doesn’t sound like a great direction for digital to go; doesn’t sound like progress and certainly doesn’t sound worth waiting for.

Personally what I’m hoping is that digital streaming, helped in part by the EtherRegen goes on to establish entirely higher standards of sound quality and musicality.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

I don't get why people make that their goal. If that truly is their goal then they should just get a TT.

Instead, I would think the goal would be to make the digital side of things as good as it could be, without a ridiculous amount of complexity. At least that's been my goal.

Hieukm

Oct 2, 2016
For 2 above poster, before SGM extreme, i doubt digital ever get close to top level analog. Thats local file. Streaming is miles away.

TT is not as convenience as local file. Local file not as convenient as streaming. Why not aim for streaming with TT performance. Top quality with top convenience.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Just so I understand, are you calling "streaming" when the files are outside your home? Does local mean with the server or can it be on a NAS?

Superdad

Apr 22, 2015
Hols@Audiophilestyle just gave a complete report of his experience for Etheregen. He using ER - SOTM double stack clocked to Cybershaft OP20 and another ER between his router and NAS. It sounds promising.

Although he reported positive results, I found many problems with the set up he diagramed and my suggestions for more proper use of the EtherREGEN appear in this long post of mine from this morning:
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...g-impressions/?do=findComment&comment=1005066

Last edited:
Reactions: matthias

DelsFan

Nov 15, 2019
While I get and empathise with exactly what you’re saying, it certainly wouldn’t be my goal. To take todays technology and aim to make it sound like something based on dragging a sharpened diamond down a spiral grove in some plastic? I do understand that diamond + groove can sound pretty good, so surely the challenge is to take modern technology and make it sound even better? Otherwise what is really the point? Vinyl technology is noisy, subject to contamination, clunky, and due solely to its design has limited dynamics, limited frequency fidelity, wear problems, and limitations encoding 2 independent channels. It is highly sensitive to microns and milligrams, temperature/compliance is an issue, it is super delicate, has build-in geometry limitations. etc. If, in spite of all those limitations we can’t surpass the resulting sound quality then something is seriously wrong IMHO.
Now I can imagine and indeed support the idea that people like and enjoy vinyl, like the sound it produces and enjoy fiddling with its intricacies. More power to ya! Its just that as a goal, an ‘idea’, emulating the sound of vinyl replay doesn’t sound like a great direction for digital to go; doesn’t sound like progress and certainly doesn’t sound worth waiting for.

Personally what I’m hoping is that digital streaming, helped in part by the EtherRegen goes on to establish entirely higher standards of sound quality and musicality.

I think you miss the point about analog and turntables; and the associated flaws are numerous and irritating, yes. Unfortunately for those who love music, the only redeeming factor is the only one that matters: in spite of 30 years of, and billions of dollars spent on R&D, a good $1000 turntable (or less, I'm not up on the subject today) in an otherwise better-than-average system will still sound more better and more lifelike than nearly any digital playback system costing any amount of money. The problem is: once you've heard a clean record on a half-decent system you cannot un-hear how much more compelling and life-like it is than what you've heard from any digital source, ever, at any price point. (So what if you have to clean the record, I use a (mikro-smooth) CD cleaning solution also!)

WORSE YET, why in the world are enthusiasts now investing in reel-to-reel players and expensive albums on reel-to-reel tape, yet another pre-historic form of analog reproduction? There is no sensible reason for this at all - none other than, so far, in the audiophile world digital is a convenient but failed technology.

I've invested a LOT of money in a setup which relies mostly on streaming (although I do have a CD transport - and expensive interconnect - to play the thirty CDs I own that I actually like). AND I have a Linn Sondek Turntable too... but in all honesty I actually do share some of your feelings about the medium, as it hasn't been out of its box this decade!

That is the reason it would be spectacular if the quality of the most convenient and cost effective method of listing to nearly any song you can think of (streaming) could not surpass, but just begin to approach the quality of analog, rather than being as it is now: clearly inferior. And (to become barely on-topic), this is why products like (but not limited to) the EtherREGEN give hope to audiophiles who would willingly give up their turntable and vinyl - if the sound quality of streaming could just make large strides in the general direction of analog quality. I applaud John and Alex in their pursuit of this goal - and let's be honest: they are doing this because of their love of music. I'll bet if they went back and calculated their hourly wage for all the time developing the EtherREGEN (don't do it!) they'd reconsider the next time they have a "bright idea" that would likely add to the enjoyment of music for the rest of us.

So here we have it. A medium priced turntable is better than a CD player, and Streaming services are trying to get their product to a place where their sales pitch , "It sounds as good as a CD!", might have a ring of truth to it!
I guess here is a hint: You'll know streaming services have really cracked it when they start advertising, "It sounds as good as vinyl!"

@Blackmorec , sorry if my tone is "poor"; if I'm railing it's because of a 30-year frustration with digital, and not you!

Last edited:
Reactions: Superdad

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Interesting points. I would be interested in the sales vector of streaming (high res). The old ways to hear music for the masses started changing in the 80's onwards with cassette tapes as they gave portability. In other words quality was accepted to be sacrificed for ability to use the medium in more situations. It seems CD, then streaming, MP3 and iTunes just confirmed the obvious. Quality went down while access became more important.

I really hope high res streaming keeps alive, because iTunes and the Apple debacle caused a lot of damage IMO. It will be a shame if high res becomes so niche it then dies off. If it does, then it shows the ones who value replay quality are in a minority.

And of Course, that will also mean high end audio gear is also in a vanishing space.... lets hope not.

I heard rumours Tidal is having financial troubles, not sure if that is confirmed?

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
Hi guys,
Are there no more comparisons or A/B testing? Thread is awefully quiet for a newly launched product, it must be so good that no one wants to comment since all are busy listening to music. LOL
Has anyone been able to put the ER and soTm switch in the same chain?

Superdad

Apr 22, 2015
Hi guys,
Are there no more comparisons or A/B testing? Thread is awefully quiet for a newly launched product, it must be so good that no one wants to comment since all are busy listening to music. LOL
Has anyone been able to put the ER and soTm switch in the same chain?

Actually there are quite a number of reports—including some comparisons I think—over in the extremely active Listening Impressions thead in our sponsored forum.
Sales have been going nuts and we are almost sold out of the January 250 production run, which will take us over the 750 unit mark. Happy but hard to keep up! :eek:

Reactions: Abyss Man

LeBlanc

Aug 14, 2019
The Netherlands
I can only compare with my Cisco 2960-8-TC, however the Uptone EtherRegen is one of the best upgrades in my system taking value for money into consideration.

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
I can only compare with my Cisco 2960-8-TC, however the Uptone EtherRegen is one of the best upgrades in my system taking value for money into consideration.

Hi LeBlanc,
cool... so what differences did you musically identify between the ER and this cisco ?
I am very interested in the Uptone switch, thank you for your feelings !

Does the ER need the ultracap LPS-1.2 power supply or other one to work in the best conditions?

Music to all.

Last edited:

LeBlanc

Aug 14, 2019
The Netherlands
Hi BF38, I have only used the standard power supply for now. Uptone themselves have mentioned they expect no big differences in SQ with upgarded power supplies, including their LPS 1.2. In the Uptone forum on AS there are also not many owners yet who have experimented with different power supplies.

The main differences for me in comparison to the Cisco switch are more transparency, a better stereo separation and a crisper sound. As Superdad said above, on the Uptone forum on AS you can find a lot more customer reports.

To put things in perspective, the SQ uplift is a bit less than my previous upgrade, 12 x Center Stage 2.0 footers for my amp, DAC and streamer, but this set of footers cost more than 3x as much as the EtherRegen.

Dthagerty@aol.com

VIP/Donor
Dec 31, 2015
Solana Beach, CA
I will admit that I haven’t kept up to date on all of the advancements in digital networking. That has been due in part to the confusing, often inconsistent terminology used. In any case, it’s time for me to get more involved!

To that end, I’ve ordered an EtherREGEN for my system. I may have to eventually buy 2. I have a Arris WiFi router with 4 gigabit Ethernet ports connected to 1. a combined server-streamer in 1 room, 2. dac with built-in streamer in a second room and 3. NAS. So I think I will need to try the EtherREGEN between the server-streamer in room 1 and between the streamer-dac in room 2. Luckily I’ll be able to try that before deciding to purchase a 2nd unit. After that is sorted, I’m going to experiment with Ethernet cables. After that, I may also see if an Ethernet switch built specifically for audio quality will yield any additional benefit.

The only “bad” aspect to this is that the initial experiments with the EtherREGEN will have to wait until Jan/Feb due to all the orders in front of me! Will give me something to look forward to.

Reactions: Superdad

Pinu

Nov 30, 2019
Hi, looking for advise, can I use the sbooster MKII 12-13v linear power supply along with the MK II Ultra upgrade with the EtherRegen switch ? What should be the voltage setting on the MKII - 12 or 13 volts ? Thanks

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
12 Volts is the maximum that EtherREGEN supports

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing