the VAC Von Schweikert Room

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The VSA/VAC system I heard at the Los Angeles audio show near LAX Airport a couple of years ago was the best sounding, all purpose system I think I have ever heard at a show.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
The VSA/VAC system I heard at the Los Angeles audio show near LAX Airport a couple of years ago was the best sounding, all purpose system I think I have ever heard at a show.
That is my poimt. I expected something in that ballpark and I did not get it.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
The thing is the sound wasn't diffused. Still had a strong center image and the instruments had fantastic separation. We could have made center image even stronger but we chose not to
I disagree, I found the image localized to the speakers.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
:The ULTRA 11 is unquestionably one of the best measuring and sounding systems ever created as proven by its' extremely low distortion. This flagship loudspeaker delivers astonishingly clear midrange and peerless transparency, extremely smooth highs out to 60kHz and tight bass down to 10Hz. All this with three dimensional soundstage that creates an accurate holographic image of any recorded event. The ULTRA 11 delivers soulful emotion to any music and must be experienced in person to truly be appreciated. "
Taken from the VSA wensite/

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
C'mon guys, this has run its course Reginald was disappointed, it's okay.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I wasn't there this past weekend and am in no position to comment yes or no on Reginald's thoughts re the room or the speakers or the electronics.His thoughts are well taken. Having said that I have heard the Ultra 11 on at least 5 different occasions starting with the very first one made when I visited Damon and Leif at the VSA factory and posted the following

https://whatsbestforum.com/threads/...n-afternoon-of-aural-bliss.21831/#post-420338
I think I was the first person to hear that speaker come off the finish line

I have heard the speaker at the same show as Ron did and my thoughts were exactly the same as his. The speakers were absolutely invisible and the sound provided for my ears one of the best sonic experiences I have ever heard. The only better experience I have ever heard was in Manila and heard Jack's brother's Jimmy's system with the one off VSA speakers made especially for Jim's system. IMO at that time I stated that there wasn't a better system in the galaxy

https://whatsbestforum.com/threads/...st-asia-and-hears-some-amazing-systems.21241/

At that time Jack's system was my second favorite system of all time with the predecessor of the Ultra 11 speakers

Well having heard the Ultra 11's on so many occasions now it is my goal to make a return trip to Manila to hear Jack and Jim's systems once again as I truly believe that the Ultra 11 is so good that I am betting Jack's system easily rivals that of big brother Jim. This is not to denigrate Jim's system but rather to confirm my feelings that the Ultra 11 speaker is truly in a class of it's own

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
You know you will forever be welcome here Stevie, but first, I visit you again! :)

Steve Williams

Thanks Jack

The friendships that this hobby has brought to me over all the years i have been involved in audio are worth more than the greatest of any audio systems. The world is a vast place and the fact that this hobby has brought us together Jack was worth more than anything. Cathy and I will never forget that trip to Manila followed by a sojourn to Palawan

You guys are the best

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I have ben aVSA fan since I first encountered the nines at a show in New York. I followed up with Mike Lavigne who at one point was in pursuit of the 11's. I praised them on Audiogon before WBF was founded. Recently I congratulated them on this site for a successful exhibit at another show.
I assume VAC and VSA expended significant time and expense with this exhibit. Maybe they will return next year. Or maybe I will have to travel to get an encore. I am certainly willing to give them a second chance.

Jack for me that concludes this issue.

Reactions: Leif S

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
You and I have always been cool Reginald :)

Steve Williams

I have ben aVSA fan since I first encountered the nines at a show in New York. I followed up with Mike Lavigne who at one point was in pursuit of the 11's. I praised them on Audiogon before WBF was founded. Recently I congratulated them on this site for a successful exhibit at another show.
I assume VAC and VSA expended significant time and expense with this exhibit. Maybe they will return next year. Or maybe I will have to travel to get an encore. I am certainly willing to give them a second chance.

Reginald

when you visit me I will take you to the VSA factory for some fun listening

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com

We will definitely be there next year in the same room. I believe the plan for next year is to bring the same system but we will rotate other models like the ULTRA 9's, Ultra 55's, E-5MkII's, and even the E-3MkII's in the system. I wish I would have been able to meet you at the show. Our next show is in Florida I believe where this system will be shown.

Steve Williams

We will definitely be there next year in the same room. I believe the plan for next year is to bring the same system but we will rotate other models like the ULTRA 9's, Ultra 55's, E-5MkII's, and even the E-3MkII's in the system. I wish I would have been able to meet you at the show. Our next show is in Florida I believe where this system will be shown.
I’m hoping Reginald is going to make a return trip to visit me and when he does I will bring him to your factory

Reactions: Leif S

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Steve my trip is definitely in the works

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Steve my trip is definitely in the works
When you come I would love for you and Steve to come visit at my house. I will have the ULTRA 9's with the VAC tube electronics. We can have lunch at the clubhouse.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Gratious invitations I hooe I can indulge.

Thank you gentlemen

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong

Hi Leif, please provide more information on the Ultra 55s - cabinet, driver configurations, size, specifications, etc. Thanks!

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Hi Leif, please provide more information on the Ultra 55s - cabinet, driver configurations, size, specifications, etc. Thanks!
The ULTRA 55's use the same cabinets as the VR55's but the internal of the cabinet is a little different. We use the same woofers and mid that are in the ULTRA 9 and 11 as well as the Beryllium tweeter. The rear ribbon is the same we use in the 55. Like the other ULTRA flagships we use all MasterBuilt internal wire and the same crossover components. Same voicing as the U9 & 11's.

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
The ULTRA 55's use the same cabinets as the VR55's but the internal of the cabinet is a little different. We use the same woofers and mid that are in the ULTRA 9 and 11 as well as the Beryllium tweeter. The rear ribbon is the same we use in the 55. Like the other ULTRA flagships we use all MasterBuilt internal wire and the same crossover components. Same voicing as the U9 & 11's.

Thanks, Leif! It would be extremely helpful to have updated data posted on the VSA website, the authoritative and unambiguous source of information where people will naturally gravitate towards for the latest.

As you know, I’ve been a happy owner of the VR-55 Aktives with the MasterBuilt Ultra internal wire upgrade, and prior that the VR-6s, and then the VR-6 Mk2s. How are the woofers and mid-frequency drivers of the Ultra 55s different from those in the VR-55 Aktives?

Refinements, or fundamentally different? Objectively, how different are the specs on the newer drivers? Is there an upgrade path for the VR-55 Aktives?

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I went into that room a dozen times hoping to capture what I heard the first time.
It seems the digital was above the vinyl to me. on digital it filled the room and had a deep and wide stage. When he went to vinyl I expected a lift in speed and finer details. What I got was a smaller stage with very little depth. To add to this was the jump that vinyl has all but gone. the room looked amazing but delivered a far less effect in sound.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing