They Shall Not Grow Old

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I had the opportunity to see "They Shall Not Grow Old" today. So far this has been a limited run engagement across the US with showings on Dec 17 and Dec 27. From what I have heard most of these were Sold Out several days in advance. I chose the 3D version and am pleased that I did. There were no floating objects to distract the audience rather added depth of field to make for a very lifelike presentation.

The movie itself ran for 99 minutes followed by a 30 minute "How It Was Made" extra narrated by the films director Peter Jackson. It was originally conceived to celebrate the 100th Anniversary of the end of the war.

The film's content was derived from over 600 hours of audio interviews from actual WWI veterans that had been recorded over 50 years ago. They then used modern computer technology to clean up and colorize actual British War Archive footage. They had over 100 hours of film to select scenes that matched the audio storyline.

Since the cameras of the time were very large and not easy to set-up there was very little actual battle footage. This was more of the stories of preparing for battle and its aftermath.

Well done and lots of applause from the audience when it was over.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Steve Williams

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I thought I had heard it was going to be released again in the February timeframe. Not sure.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Blade Runner 2049 in 3D is like that too, subtle but efficient without any superficial pop up 3D stuff coming @ you.

For a documentary genre like 'They Shall Not Grow Old', I'm sure PeterJackson did a highly respectable job. It's an important film archive in man's history; it shall be remembered forever, all these young men; over one million who died in that war, British military personnel.
_____

"World War One was one of the deadliest conflicts in the history of the human race, in which over 16 million people died. The total number of both civilian and military casualties is estimated at around 37 million people. The war killed almost 7 million civilians and 10 million military personnel."
How Many People Died in WW1? - History

Last edited:

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
For those of you who missed it the first time around in limited release it looks like it is back in wider distribution. I hope they show the 30 minute "How it was Made" at the end.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing