thinking to buy Luxman M900u mono , what other similar amps should i look? for Focal Maestro

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
The old Anats could certainly be considered bright and where the reputation came from (even see the measurements). The new hybrid tweeter on the Hailey 2 does make amp matching easier- on the 1s there was some brightness in certain combinations. I really haven't experienced that to date on the 2s.

I can change amps on just about any speaker and hear significant differences and there are always winners and losers. I can make any speaker sound dreadful :)

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Ha. Yeah it is all to easy to take a great speaker and mess it up.

ray-dude

Dec 8, 2019
I beg to differ :) Your description is how our setups usually sound, but of course, YMMV and all that. Just saying there are multiple ways to skin that cat, and yeah, you can make them sound dreadful very easily too.

Alex and team spend an inordinate amount of effort getting things dialed in just so. Phase/time alignment is so crucial...really have to sweat the millimeters.

Absolute delight to visit with them in their listening room (and I'm eager for things to settle to the point where we can share a scotch again)

Reactions: KeithR

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
To me the bigger deal with the way an amp handles bass is how much negative feedback it employs. (assuming both amps have sufficient current drive abilty) More negative feedback give a very tight, detailed bass. Some consider this "non-musical". Although, in reality bass is 90% room/setup dominated. We are just talking about how that last 10% sounds.

Many things can cause this , PSU too , much more than NFB ..

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Don't you agree that "everyone" says YG's sound analytical, bright and strident. Mostly because this is how they are setup. The YG's can sound like whatever you want. Since Yoav designs them with a flat frequency response they take on the character of the setup.

I do agree.

I don't recall the exact dimensions, but it's something like 33 x 37.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Alex and team spend an inordinate amount of effort getting things dialed in just so. Phase/time alignment is so crucial...really have to sweat the millimeters.

Absolute delight to visit with them in their listening room (and I'm eager for things to settle to the point where we can share a scotch again)

Thanks, ray-dude. I was wondering if you were the Ray that was local to us, but now it seems you are indeed :)

We are back with regular hours, so you're welcome to stop by, when you're comfortable doing so :) Masks not optional, though...

ray-dude

Dec 8, 2019
We are back with regular hours, so you're welcome to stop by, when you're comfortable doing so :) Masks not optional, though...

Would dearly like to Alex, but with 80 something year old parents to take care of, alas need to be extra careful these days. I hope you guys are well, and weathering the turmoil

Reactions: KeithR and asiufy

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Hi guys, i'm a little bit in the same boat as pelo911 trying to figure out what combo should i get to drive a pair of Borresen 03.
The 3 combos i have in mind are : Totaldac d1-Direct > Audionet Humboldt, Totaldac d1-Twelve > d1-Driver > Mephisto stereo or Totaldac d1-Twelve > d1-Driver > Dag S250.
Right now the Mephisto combo would be my choice but i'm open to what you guys have to say.
Thanks.

Reactions: CKKeung

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Forgot a fourth combo that i should consider : Totaldac d1-Twelve > d1-Driver > CH M1.1 stereo.
1 integrated amp combo and 3 DAC direct stereo amp combo.

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
Wonder if a pass labs amp like X or XA series 0.8 would be a good pairing?

Also of a room that big maybe a subwoofer array crossed low and well integrated? PSA, JTR or REL?

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Anyone ever AB a D'agostino momentum or progression with the Luxman M900u?

Jay's Audio Lab on Youtube has had both in his system but i don't think he has AB directly.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Anyone ever AB a D'agostino momentum or progression with the Luxman M900u?

Yes, we have both a pair of Momentums and a M900u in the store. If you're in the area (SoCal), you're very welcome to stop by and hear them for yourself!

Two very different products, different price points, for different people/systems. No point in comparing one to the other.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Compared to DAG , yes ..! I find Vitus also like this, but hey , there’s a saddle combination for every horse ..

:)

jbrrp1

Aug 3, 2020
I do think it is relative, especially to the horse you are trying to saddle. I'm running the M900u driving a pair of TAD CR-1's, and I would have liked it if the Luxman was even little softer/warmer. I addressed that need with a change to an ARC Ref 40 preamp. My system couldn't stay on song when I had the C900u preamp also in this mix - - too much of a "precise" and "revealing" sound. I love the TAD's, but they do require a bit of taming, and the Luxman gear doesn't bring enough of that softness/warmth to tame them. Just to add, the Luxman pre and amp have such virtues that they did get me pondering keeping them and searching for the right speakers to match. In the end, I decided the devil I knew, in the room I have, was the best course of action, so I stayed with the TAD's and swapped the preamps. Now the soup is pretty tasty!

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
I do think it is relative, especially to the horse you are trying to saddle. I'm running the M900u driving a pair of TAD CR-1's, and I would have liked it if the Luxman was even little softer/warmer. I addressed that need with a change to an ARC Ref 40 preamp. My system couldn't stay on song when I had the C900u preamp also in this mix - - too much of a "precise" and "revealing" sound. I love the TAD's, but they do require a bit of taming, and the Luxman gear doesn't bring enough of that softness/warmth to tame them. Just to add, the Luxman pre and amp have such virtues that they did get me pondering keeping them and searching for the right speakers to match. In the end, I decided the devil I knew, in the room I have, was the best course of action, so I stayed with the TAD's and swapped the preamps. Now the soup is pretty tasty!

Wow first time I heard anyone complain luxmans were not soft enough, interesting. I guess the TADS are very bright?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing