Third Tonearm for Transrotor Apollon TMD?

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
I am starting to evaluate possible third tonearm options for my Transrotor Apollon TMD. I currently have two SME V tonearms and use Benz LP and LPS, Benz Ruby Z, Soundsmith Sussaro MKII, Soundsmith Hyperion ES OCL, original Transrotor Merlo Reference MC, and soon Hana Red.

Looking down the road this year, I am definitely considering a heavier mass cartridge (Koetsu stone body or something of that caliber ) which would entail a heavier arm, which is okay with me as I have been interested in 11 or 12 inch arms. Essentially, any arm longer than the 9 inch Arms I use now.

First thoughts that come to me are;
1. SME 3012R or V12
2. Kuzma 4 point
3. Brinkman 10.5
4. Schroeder Reference tonearm (model depending on compatibility)

I use SME mounting norm with the Transrotor and Transrotor has arm boards that are SME compliant, so any arm that has SME type mounting options would be a clear winner to me. I know the SMEs are good to go by default.

I would appreciate it If any Transrotor owners or users with experience with Transrotor turntables using longer arms would chime in. Thank You.

Audioquest4life

Reactions: woodrand

ShawnZH

Sep 20, 2020
I highly recommend Kuzma 4-point 11 inch. I recently bought one for my Tourbillon FMD and mounted a London Reference onto it. 4-Point is very cleverly designed on all the important adjustments: VTA, VTF, Azimuth, Anti-Skate... The Azimuth adjustment is THE best I'd experienced, easy and precise. The counter-weight design is also very clever and flexible, compatiable to a wide range of carts with various weights and compliances. The London Reference plays to its best performance in my system with 4-Point.

Last edited:

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
I highly recommend Kuzma 4-point 11 inch. I recently bought one for my Tourbillon FMD and mounted a London Reference onto it. 4-Point is very cleverly designed on all the important adjustments: VTA, VTF, Azimuth, Anti-Skate... The Azimuth adjustment is THE best I'd experienced, easy and precise. The counter-weight design is also very clever and flexible, compatiable to a wide range of carts with various weights and compliances. The London Reference plays to its best performance in my system with 4-Point.
Thank you for the suggestion. That is exactly the version of Kuzma tonearm I am looking at. The new Transrotor tonearm intrigues me also.

BTW, how do you like the Transrotor Tourbillion? I am considering an upgrade sometime this year to the Tourbillion from my Appollon TMD. What other contenders did you compare it with? Is the speed stability good? I use the upgraded outboard 24VDC power supply Konstant KM3 with 3 motors and TMD technology which provides pretty good speed stability.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing