This Corona Virus Mania is Just Too Much, We All Need to Chill!

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I don't know about you, but I voted for that idiot (OUR populist demagogue), out of lack of options as the other candidates were even worse.
And straight from the dictionary:
demagogue:
"a political leader who seeks support by appealing to the desires and prejudices of ordinary people rather than by using rational argument."
You can call me misinformed or not fully up to speed on politics in your neck of the woods, but I do know what demagogue means.
I await my PM from Steve and Ron. Let me know if you get yours for us both indulging in politics...I'd hate to think either of us would get preferential treatment over the other, or other members here who veer into politics.
But I'm afraid you're wrong even on yr definition of calling Boris a demagogue. He is guilty of many sins, personal and policy (UK is on track to have worst figures in EU, 40% of total deaths and 10% of global total). But being a demagogue is not one of them.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I await my PM from Steve and Ron. Let me know if you get yours for us both indulging in politics...I'd hate to think either of us would get preferential treatment over the other, or other members here who veer into politics.
But I'm afraid you're wrong even on yr definition of calling Boris a demagogue. He is guilty of many sins, personal and policy (UK is on track to have worst figures in EU, 40% of total deaths and 10% of global total). But being a demagogue is not one of them.
Marc, knowing how you feel about him these day, why do you bother defending him here ?
613E83AE-F6D9-4084-BE16-77D59A84E8D3.png

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
The motto of the USA is e pluribus unum. It means one out of many. It has been on US coins since 1786, near the founding of the country.

The idea presumes that if you want to come to America, you want to be an American.
The moto for the airline with the worst and most unfriendly customer service (United) is “fly the friendly sky’s.”

A catchy slogan doesn’t create a culture. And remember, for 100 years after e pluribus unum was coined, millions of future citizens were brought to the United States in chains.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Al M.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Mandatory mask for grocery store visits. No information on where or how to procure said masks.

shadowlight

Oct 27, 2016
It's a bit vague. The recommendation that it's useful to wear masks in public settings is new. People are following the social distancing rule because the language has designated that's what everyone should do. All the TV commercials say social distancing, and it's been said for a month now.

Masks are completely voluntary. Well, all of it is voluntary actually.

Even if you want to wear a mask there is nothing available locally or online to purchase. For now if I have to go out I just cover my face up with home grown mask made out of old t-shirt. Not sure how effective that is going to be to spread or prevent infection.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Mandatory mask for grocery store visits. No information on where or how to procure said masks.

I find it difficult to find masks too. I ran into a doctor and sailing friend of mine on the street the other day. He was wearing one. At some point I will have to venture out to help my tenants. When that day comes, I hope I can find some masks.

If people have links to available on-line supplies, please post them. Thanks.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Gentlemen. Some posts have been removed that were political in nature. Please refrain from making any posts that specifically touch on this subject. You knew you were in the wrong because you even spoke about it in your posts.

If you have to question whether or not your post is political, then it probably is.....just don't post it. This is not up for debate.

Tom

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I find it difficult to find masks too. I ran into a doctor and sailing friend of mine on the street the other day. He was wearing one. At some point I will have to venture out to help my tenants. When that day comes, I hope I can find some masks.

If people have links to available on-line supplies, please post them. Thanks.
Around here, several small businesses have been making cloth masks per the CDC recommendations. It's worth noting that cloth masks were surgical masks through the 1960's at least.

Reactions: rando

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
My GF would like to know...weren't gowns/aprons etc washable back in the day? Surely boiling hot washes of cloth aprons would negate the need for billions of disposables globally?

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I think Victor Davis Hanson sums up my feelings about experts quite elegantly here: https://amgreatness.com/2020/04/12/the-thin-facade-of-authority/
An argument which is reasonable on its face, but doesn't offer practical alternatives. Kind of like armchair quarterbacking, unfortunately. Counterpoint? The models could have been better with better input, but thanks to this country's unpreparedness (as compared to, say, S. Korea) that better input was lacking.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
My GF would like to know...weren't gowns/aprons etc washable back in the day? Surely boiling hot washes of cloth aprons would negate the need for billions of disposables globally?
Just remember: disposable is for use by health care workers. For other personal uses, save and re-use (not disposable gloves, however, those should be tossed)

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
An argument which is reasonable on its face, but doesn't offer practical alternatives. Kind of like armchair quarterbacking, unfortunately. Counterpoint? The models could have been better with better input, but thanks to this country's unpreparedness (as compared to, say, S. Korea) that better input was lacking.

That's the part that has bothered me with the arguments that we have gone too far. What should we have done and what would the outcome have been? All the articles fail to address that. In addition, 42 out of the 50 governors made the decision to shut down. The other 8 have put some social distancing rules in place. Have they all been wrong?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Gentlemen. Some posts have been removed that were political in nature. Please refrain from making any posts that specifically touch on this subject. You knew you were in the wrong because you even spoke about it in your posts.

If you have to question whether or not your post is political, then it probably is.....just don't post it. This is not up for debate.

Tom

Thanks Tom. I had a response to one of the posts you deleted and chose not to click "Reply". I saved it though for private communications. Much less controversial that way.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Around here, several small businesses have been making cloth masks per the CDC recommendations. It's worth noting that cloth masks were surgical masks through the 1960's at least.

Thanks. Yes, I'm aware of some such alternatives here locally. They can be washed in the home machines. I guess it is better than nothing and we do what we can do. I do wonder where/how the people with fresh surgical masks whom I see daily walking around are getting them.

hogen

May 15, 2018
Oslo, Norway
That's the part that has bothered me with the arguments that we have gone too far. What should we have done and what would the outcome have been? All the articles fail to address that. In addition, 42 out of the 50 governors made the decision to shut down. The other 8 have put some social distancing rules in place. Have they all been wrong?

I definitely prefer the swedish approach to this:

https://investigativejournal.org/the-swedish-corona-experiment-or-everyone-elses/

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
Yes. But if they don’t spike we will be scrambling for an explanation as to why not. Could there be a benefit to the understanding of this virus by looking at the data from different states that handled it differently?

I think there is an argument for different states behaving differently because they have different population densities and different travel patterns. I’m not advocating it but I’m questioning if there might be a benefit to not having a national policy covering all 50 states.

I'm finding it hard to compute how this would be helpful. Risking thousands of lives by going against what we know in order to afford ourselves case studies of how population density and travel patterns affect the spread of the virus.

It's a person to person virus so unless you are a state where you have completely isolated individual persons, then this is futile. Unless there is some case to be made that the physiological makeup of people in particular states may be different from those in other states and display a differing degree of resiliency to the virus, then what is the purpose?

If this effort is not coordinated across the whole country, then a state like Minnesota, which is under lockdown, having multiple neighboring states not under lockdown severely undermines our efforts. There is free travel across state lines, both for work and pleasure. This situation only prolongs the pandemic.

From the onset, it was clear that a wholesale shutdown of a few months would have allowed the economy to open up earlier, and life to resume as usual. The current methodology means we will be dealing with this for at least 6 months to a year, and probably beyond.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
These are not easy decisions as you can please some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time. Prudence would say wait longer but how long can you wait with so many unemployed and penniless. I think it’s I’ll be gradual and those not having to work will likely still self quarantine. Right now it seems that sadly Dr Fauci is on the chopping block for saying we could have saved lives if we acted sooner

Reactions: Lagonda

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
These are not easy decisions as you can please some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time. Prudence would say wait longer but how long can you wait with so many unemployed and penniless. I think it’s I’ll be gradual and those not having to work will likely still self quarantine. Right now it seems that sadly Dr Fauci is on the chopping block for saying we could have saved lives if we acted sooner

Do you mean for speaking the truth? It isn't as though he offered that information without being asked. Instead, he answered the question honestly. Plus, he did qualify it by saying no one really knows which is also the truth.

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
I understand that being a capitalist country, corporations and small businesses had significant influence on the rate of adoption of lockdowns. Sadly, that short-sightedness is what will actually hurt them, and the rest of us the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing