This Corona Virus Mania is Just Too Much, We All Need to Chill!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Very balanced and informative piece.
I have lived 5 years in Sweden and can attest to the fact that they are the most law abiding people of the world. If the government tells them something is good they follow it.
They wear reflective vests when they walk,run,hike bike, or ride a motorcycle. Even in the daytime.They
mostly drive 5 km/h slower than the speed limit, leave their shoes outside the front door and generally just drove me crazy o_O

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
5A596097-8001-4E38-8E02-3FC4E0B31731.jpeg

Way ahead of their time... :eek:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Washing your hands with hot water and soap is the most mandatory for protection considered by experts in holland .
The protein virus shell seems to dissolve with soap /hotwater.

Lagonda i already made a reservation in the stockholm/ marriot for the next wave .
Grand superiour rooms go for half the price :)

Reactions: hogen and Lagonda

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I bought a French classic car, it regularly has a spontaneous argument in public when it breaks down spectacularly. So French.

Reactions: Lagonda

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Even if you want to wear a mask there is nothing available locally or online to purchase. For now if I have to go out I just cover my face up with home grown mask made out of old t-shirt. Not sure how effective that is going to be to spread or prevent infection.

It's true, they're hard to get. I got a few from LA Apparel. And T-shirts do hardly anything unless they're layered up (they just aren't a good material). I don't really wear T-shirts so the cutting guides don't work so much on button ups...

These are not easy decisions as you can please some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time. Prudence would say wait longer but how long can you wait with so many unemployed and penniless. I think it’s I’ll be gradual and those not having to work will likely still self quarantine. Right now it seems that sadly Dr Fauci is on the chopping block for saying we could have saved lives if we acted sooner

Well I blame the CIA for not spying on China enough and then influencing their government for a much earlier lockdown. They should have been secretly sampling the spit from every worker at the lab, and all labs around the world, whenever they left work. This tragedy lays on them because acting sooner could have saved more lives.

Keep the blame game alive everybody. In fact the first lifts on lockdown should be for researching stronger blame claims.

Reactions: Bobvin

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Folsom how do you have enough hours in the day to find all this information ? Have you stopped sleeping ?;)
Folsom is our in house resident physician ;)

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Ok that makes more sense although I cringe at "vague" public health recommendations. It just leads to more confusion.

Ya, it's kind of annoying. Presumably masks would have been recommended sooner if more were available open-market after learning how much it has spread to the US. But also everyone is afraid to go too far with what they're doing. It's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" game of politicians all trying to be the best solution.

Reactions: PeterA

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I bought a French classic car, it regularly has a spontaneous argument in public when it breaks down spectacularly. So French.
Marc, my classic British car seems quite confused at times too. Almost like it’s thinking “should stay or should i go” So British !:rolleyes:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I'm finding it hard to compute how this would be helpful. Risking thousands of lives by going against what we know in order to afford ourselves case studies of how population density and travel patterns affect the spread of the virus.

It's a person to person virus so unless you are a state where you have completely isolated individual persons, then this is futile. Unless there is some case to be made that the physiological makeup of people in particular states may be different from those in other states and display a differing degree of resiliency to the virus, then what is the purpose?

If this effort is not coordinated across the whole country, then a state like Minnesota, which is under lockdown, having multiple neighboring states not under lockdown severely undermines our efforts. There is free travel across state lines, both for work and pleasure. This situation only prolongs the pandemic.

From the onset, it was clear that a wholesale shutdown of a few months would have allowed the economy to open up earlier, and life to resume as usual. The current methodology means we will be dealing with this for at least 6 months to a year, and probably beyond.

As I wrote in the last sentence you quoted, I'm not advocating this, I am simply asking the question to see whether or NOT there would be a benefit to studying the various responses. We are all commenting on how other countries handled it differently, and I am assuming that the medical community is learning from these different responses. I'm asking if lessons could be learned from how different states in the US are responding. I think the answer is yes, because people are discussing, criticising and applauding the various responses from some states over others.

You are also assuming that there is free travel across state borders in the US. It is not clear to me that that is the case, or that it always will be, even if it is now. There are examples of states, towns, and other local communities, that are advocating for a prohibition of travel into their communities. This will increase if the the situation continues to get worse. Most, but not all, trains, airplanes and buses seem to be shut down. There was a story yesterday about seven guys being fined in CA by the local authorities of one town from crossing into their town from another town to buy liquor. Each guy was fined $1,000. This sounds to me as though local travel is being restricted or very soon will be, on some level.

Are you also advocating for Brussels to shut down all of the EU? I don't hear such calls, from anyone. Why not? Isn't the EU more analogous to the US? Why isn't there widespread testing in the EU, why are there different responses being allowed by different countries? Why are some borders closed and others not? Why the inconsistent approach to the pandemic? The EU was supposed to be the new ideal. Why is no one asking these questions?

The US keeps getting compared to South Korea, or Italy, or Sweden, all smaller, more homogenous cultures and populations with different sets of laws and behavior patterns. In my view, the US should more rightly be compared to the EU as a whole.

I am not proposing answers because I lack the qualifications and am not in a leadership position. (I already hear many snickering), but I am just making observations and asking questions to further the discussion and learn something.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Marc, my classic British car seems quite confused at times too. Almost like it’s thinking “should i go or should i stay” So British !:rolleyes:
What do you run? I would say stick w it, there'll always be a British compromise solution powered by cups of tea to be had.
Tea is getting me thru Living In The Age Of Covid.

Reactions: Lagonda

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
d
Gentlemen. Some posts have been removed that were political in nature. Please refrain from making any posts that specifically touch on this subject. You knew you were in the wrong because you even spoke about it in your posts.

If you have to question whether or not your post is political, then it probably is.....just don't post it. This is not up for debate.

Tom

Thank you, Tom.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
...Right now it seems that sadly Dr Fauci is on the chopping block for saying we could have saved lives if we acted sooner
Which is bad for the country more than bad for him personally. I think he would just as soon go back to his research lab and get out of the spotlight.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I understand that being a capitalist country, corporations and small businesses had significant influence on the rate of adoption of lockdowns. Sadly, that short-sightedness is what will actually hurt them, and the rest of us the most.

Stating the obvious, don't forget that it is 2020, and a political year. Incredible pressure on both sides. It is the perfect storm, or set of circumstances, for this current climate.

Reactions: ddk and Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
As I wrote in the last sentence you quoted, I'm not advocating this, I am simply asking the question to see whether or NOT there would be a benefit to studying the various responses. We are all commenting on how other countries handled it differently, and I am assuming that the medical community is learning from these different responses. I'm asking if lessons could be learned from how different states in the US are responding. I think the answer is yes, because people are discussing, criticising and applauding the various responses from some states over others.

You are also assuming that there is free travel across state borders in the US. It is not clear to me that that is the case, or that it always will be, even if it is now. There are examples of states, towns, and other local communities, that are advocating for a prohibition of travel into their communities. This will increase if the the situation continues to get worse. Most, but not all, trains, airplanes and buses seem to be shut down. There was a story yesterday about seven guys being fined in CA by the local authorities of one town from crossing into their town from another town to buy liquor. Each guy was fined $1,000. This sounds to me as though local travel is being restricted or very soon will be, on some level.

Are you also advocating for Brussels to shut down all of the EU? I don't hear such calls, from anyone. Why not? Isn't the EU more analogous to the US? Why isn't there widespread testing in the EU, why are there different responses being allowed by different countries? Why are some borders closed and others not? Why the inconsistent approach to the pandemic? The EU was supposed to be the new ideal. Why is no one asking these questions?

The US keeps getting compared to South Korea, or Italy, or Sweden, all smaller, more homogenous cultures and populations with different sets of laws and behavior patterns. In my view, the US should more rightly be compared to the EU as a whole.

I am not proposing answers because I lack the qualifications and am not in a leadership position. (I already hear many snickering), but I am just making observations and asking questions to further the discussion and learn something.
Peter, the EU has no say in matters like that. We are individual nations with separate constitutions and laws.
I have lived many year in different European countries and also in 4 different states in the US. America is much more homogeneous in culture and mindset than European countries ever where. We have separate languages, politics , upbringing, education heroes and celebrities every time you cross a boarder.
Americans are much more alike from state to state.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Washing your hands with hot water and soap is the most mandatory for protection considered by experts in holland .
The protein virus shell seems to dissolve with soap /hotwater.

Actually the lipid envelope ("fat" shell) dissolves, in which several of the proteins are embedded.

Reactions: Bobvin and Folsom

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Stating the obvious, don't forget that it is 2020, and a political year. Incredible pressure on both sides. It is the perfect storm, or set of circumstances, for this current climate.

"Incredible pressure" is no excuse for failings that could have been easily avoided had early warnings been taken seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing