This Is My Other Hobby

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Looks like great fun. When I was in high school I would built model airplanes and gliders. I always dreamed about building a helicopter but never did. I assume this is a kit?

What is involved in having one that can take up a DSLR camera? And how safe would it be if it did that? Assume a novice pilot :).

jcmusic

May 20, 2010
Just Outside New Orleans, La.
Hi Amir,
Yes this was a kit I built from scratch, yes they have them take up video cameras some for indutry others for fun. You just need a large enough heli and some flying skills, that's about it.

Jay

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I saw a program of someone doing it with kites in SF Bay area. His pictures were also stunning.

Jay, how much work is it to learn to fly the thing? I hate to destroy my expensive cameras and lenses :).

jcmusic

May 20, 2010
Amir,
To be honest it is alot of work to learn to fly the one in the video, there are other types that would be much easier. You would want to look into a very large coaxial type heli, I am not real sure how big they get but they are really stable and pretty easy to fly. The ones I fly (Still Learning) by the way are really difficult to learn to fly it takes alot of time patience and practice, I fly on a simulater on my computer for practice because flying the real heli is like balancing a marble on a piece of glass!!! Amir they even make cameras just for helis.

Jay

jcmusic

May 20, 2010
Hi Steve,
I took my time and worked on it about 3 hours a day for about 4 days. Now I can do it in half that time, it becomes easier once you get familiar with the parts and how everything works.

Jay

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Steve,
I takes only one battery it is what we call a Lipo, it will last about 7minutes or so depending on how you fly. The battery I use for this heli is a 3300 MAh 6 cells 25.2 volts when fully charged.

Jay

The video you linked to was amazing. That was a twin prop helicopter and did I read that it takes fuel and not battery power

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I remember my senior. year control theory class where we designed an analog....yes analog....helicopter control system. I also remember having a headache that lasted nearly a semester :(

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing