Thomas Schick tonearm

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
Just wondering if there’s any experience with the Thomas Schick's tonearm.
How does it compare to the more popular arms here?
Such as:
SME 3012/09
FR-64/66s
SAEC
Ortofon

Will be using it mostly for SPU type cartridges.

Thanks!

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012
I found the Schick to be a very average performer sonically. I do not understand all the favorable reviews of it. I replaced mine with an Analog Instruments Siggwan which is a 12” cocobolo arm on a very solid unipivot. The Siggwan is everything the
Schick was supposed to be but was not.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Just curious which cart(s) you used with the Schick?

I found the Schick to be a very average performer sonically. I do not understand all the favorable reviews of it. I replaced mine with an Analog Instruments Siggwan which is a 12” cocobolo arm on a very solid unipivot. The Siggwan is everything the
Schick was supposed to be but was not.

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012
I tried my Benz LP, Denon 103R and Miyajima mono on the Schick, but mostly the Denon.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The Schroeder CB was so much better than the Schick in a direct compare at Anamighty sound

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
minimum 2,5 times the price.....
True the Schick (and the Groovemaster II) are really quite affordable compared to most else.

The Schick often gets paired with really low compliance carts (since it can be) but it also shows a lot of 'synergy' with medium weight/compliance carts like Lyra...

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
Sold the Schick
Didn't like it....designwise and mechanically
Bought an Alfred Bokrand Ortofon banana 309 with EMT collar for my EMT TMD25 and TSD 15.
Soon ready to test all on my Garrardzilla approach

Reactions: jeff1225

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The Schick was quite poor compared to the Schroeder CB on the PTP lenco with the same carts. However when Schick himself uses it with vdh Stradivarius in the WE / Silbatone(he has been doing so since 2017), it is the best sounding analog In Munich though surely helped by downstream gear that you can't strip out

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Sold the Schick
Didn't like it....designwise and mechanically
Bought an Alfred Bokrand Ortofon banana 309 with EMT collar for my EMT TMD25 and TSD 15.
Soon ready to test all on my Garrardzilla approach

What about the Groovemaster II? Did you end up trying that one?

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
Yes I like it a lot, both looks, finish, handling and sound
Soon you'll be able to mount it with easy vta as well, which will make it even handier to use

Last edited:
Reactions: Solypsa

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Yes I like it a lot, both looks, finish, handling and sound
Soon you'll be able to mount it with easy vta as well, which will make it even handier to use

Do the set screws for locking down the counterweight and VTA of the GMII dig right into the metal of the arm? I think I read this somewhere. That’s pretty disappointing if true.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I'm excited to see the vta adjuster upgrade!

kozzmo

Nov 19, 2019
I am a new member and joined to chime in on this thread......I have been lurking here for years...

Anyways....

I recently purchased a Schick 12" arm and have been very underwhelmed and disappointed with it. I find it's fit and finish to be less than ideal especially at the price point. The female SME connector on the arm wand is very short and slightly undersized diameter wise. This has led to more wiggle in the head shell than one would like to see. There was also pieces of dried glue in the threads of the female SME connector that made it difficult to use some of my head shells. The Vertical bearing nuts needed tightening to keep the arm from rocking in the vertical plane and there still is a small amount of slop in the horizontal bearings too. Sound wise I find it a bit dark. It does do bass well but not so much in the way of air and transparency. I have used it with a Denon 103r and a couple of Lyra's: The Delos and an old Dorian MONO. I do not believe this arm will be sticking around long.

One lesson learned from this experience is that people who sell $2000 arms should have some sort of dealer representation in countries other than their own. It would have been much easier to communicate with a dealer. Communicating with Thomas about some of these problems has taken longer that it should have and some of the responses have left me less than enthusiastic.

I am curious about the Groovemaster as it seems to be the direct comp in price and features to a Schick tonearm..

David

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012
I am a new member and joined to chime in on this thread......I have been lurking here for years...

Anyways....

I recently purchased a Schick 12" arm and have been very underwhelmed and disappointed with it. I find it's fit and finish to be less than ideal especially at the price point. The female SME connector on the arm wand is very short and slightly undersized diameter wise. This has led to more wiggle in the head shell than one would like to see. There was also pieces of dried glue in the threads of the female SME connector that made it difficult to use some of my head shells. The Vertical bearing nuts needed tightening to keep the arm from rocking in the vertical plane and there still is a small amount of slop in the horizontal bearings too. Sound wise I find it a bit dark. It does do bass well but not so much in the way of air and transparency. I have used it with a Denon 103r and a couple of Lyra's: The Delos and an old Dorian MONO. I do not believe this arm will be sticking around long.

One lesson learned from this experience is that people who sell $2000 arms should have some sort of dealer representation in countries other than their own. It would have been much easier to communicate with a dealer. Communicating with Thomas about some of these problems has taken longer that it should have and some of the responses have left me less than enthusiastic.

I am curious about the Groovemaster as it seems to be the direct comp in price and features to a Schick tonearm..

David

Seems like QC was lacking on your particular arm. I didn’t have any QC problems with mine but found the sound quality was sub-par.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing