Thorens TD-124 on its way back from the shop

Peguinpower

Jul 22, 2021
I bought a Thorens TD-124 mk I last September.

Bought it on impulse with full intention of restoring it myself. I wanted to hear it and was hoping to find a keeper. When I got it, I took it apart and took measurements of the main bearing. Its was off. The idler wheel was cracked, belts toast, rubber parts worse for wear, among others. I was disappointed, but not surprised. It is a 1964 unit and it mustve seen a lot of use through the decades.

I did some research and found a place that remanufactured the bearing. Cool. Talking with the guy, I found that he did complete restorations. Hmmm. I already have the TT apart, looked at the work in front of me, and assessed that it would take me two Saturday mornings to clean, relube, replace and reassemble the TT. That doesnt include sourcing and logistics for getting all the parts, manufacturing new wiring harnesses and replacing some electronic components. I also figured a good amount of adjustments are required to get it just right being completely mechanical.

Being that I also have a service business, I decided to let the guy do the resto and I’ll just take some extra work to pay for his services. From a time and preoccupation perspective, I think it’ll be a wash. My wife hates it when Im contemplating this kinda stuff in my mind. It can turn me into an absentee husband for.a couple of weeks.

So I agreed to get my TT restored. The works is as follows:

1) New parts - idler wheels, pulleys, belts, rubber parts, all new wiring, strobe bulb, new modern pcb board, etc
2) Ultrasonic cleaning of all parts and relube
3) Blueprint main bearing
4) Blue print motor, new improved coils
5) Replace tweaked upper platter
6) Replace cracked speed knob and assembly
7) Refinish chassis
8) Reassemble and adjust all linkages and operation

I may have missed some stuff and misstated some things. Thats what I remember at this point. He got the TT in November. Turn around is 8-10 weeks.

While the TT is there, I got the following

1) Panzer Holz plinth
2) Jelco 12” arm (550L)
3) Jelco Eazy VTA
4) Corian arm board for arm
5) Jelco premium arm cable
6) Sound Smith Zephy HO moving iron cartridge

In January, I found out that the guy got COVID and was out for a month. This pushed my timeline out and it became indefinte. He is swamped with work and is trying to catch up.

Got a call today and the TT is on his work bench. I was on a line 30+ deep and my number came up.

i expect my TT to be headed to me in the next week. Im pretty excited.

Last edited:

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
How much is total cost ? I Own one as well. was cleaned and rehabbed . Tests good only issue is speed for 45 i cant get propper speed . 33 is fine.
i run out of adjustment but locks on fine.

Peguinpower

Jul 22, 2021
Im waiting on the final bill, but the resto and standard parts is around 1200. The Upper Platter and replacement speed knob is more.

Its a lot of money, but I can make it back elsewhere. I can do the resto myself but likely not as good (I suck with refinishing) and with a lot of trail, error and tweaking to get it right. Works busy and I’ll just take it out of that than have my work suffer from being preoccupied restoring this turntable. Im the kinda guy that let these projects consume me.

Peguinpower

Jul 22, 2021
She’s here. 1964 Thorens TD-124 idler drive turntable restoration.

6 months with a professional restorer. It took that long to pool together 30 turntables to have the main bearings and spindles custom machined by an aerospace machine shop.

Ultrasonically cleaned, reassembled with modern upgrade parts from Audio Silente in Italy and Hanze in Germany, lubed and tuned. New Jelco TS-550L 12” tonearm, Jelco premium wire harness, German Corian arm-board, new wood plinth from Moldovia, Soundsmith Zephyr MKIII cartridge, Retrotone machined upper platter, and new internal wiring/electronics. Paint was refinished too.

Just waiting on a dial indicator to mount the main platter on the new main bearing and spindle to minimize run out, incoming are new isolation feet and cable holders.

I went overboard. Labor was 650, restoration and upgrade parts another 1800. All in, about 6500 into the table.

Probably 1 more week to finish it. Ttaking my time installing the tone arm, adjustable VTA option and centering the platter.

CE709DAD-DC61-48D8-8D63-81AC6EF5ADC4.jpeg

Reactions: wbass

Peguinpower

Jul 22, 2021
It's coming along. I was glad to see the arm board was made in a way that I have a few mm's to position the tonearm correctly.

Peguinpower

Jul 22, 2021
I am going to use a dial indicator to mount the main platter to the new spindle. Hoping to get minimum runout.

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
Very nice, enjoy!

japan-audio

Dec 31, 2022
Switzerland
Hi.
I had a chance to work a little bit with Ralf Kelch vom Thorens Lahr and got some original TD 124 parts from his stock, because he did not work at this modells.
I owned some MKI and MKII units and did same refurbishments at the motor, the bearing and "electric" parts.
I would suggest a check by using a stethoscope. You can start putting this at the chassies, at the tonearm and also at the headshell and check easily if there is any hum/noise coming from the motor. If you hear a differnece with a running motor or not this motor hum will also produce a hum during the vinyl use. It is not possible to saperate it completely like at DD turntables but you can reduce it to a minimum.
If you use a plinth made of Delignit Panzerholz it a good choise but will not elimante the motor noise/vibration totaly. After all you will hear some motor influation during your cartridge cuts the vinyl. You can check this also if you use a test record with a huge antiscating test and try to put your stetoscope at the headshell. If you could use a oszilloscope and satrt the motor and stop the motor and you have no influence at the screen you are also well prepared. Otherwise yu have to check where the problem comes from. Normaly at the chinch output cable there are no voltage/currency what should be craeted from starting/stopping the platter motor.
Regards

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing