Thrax Audio DAC

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
HiFi Critic did review it last year, if I remember correctly MC liked it! Bulgarian high end..!

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I haven't heard it. But for the price, you'd be much better off with MSB Diamond. Thrax doesn't make their own r2r resistor boards. They buy the less accurate OEM signature boards from MSB. MSB doesn't sell their much better Diamond resistor boards OEM. This type of DAC relies heavily on the accuracy of the resistor. MSB is here and Thrax is in Bulgaria.

I bet this Romanian DAC called the Wavequest sounds better. It uses the same boards but has a much more robust analog output stage. It's also a lot less expensive. I think they are coming out with the Wavequest 2 this summer.
http://www.rockna-line.com/products-Wavequest-DA.html

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
This type of DAC relies heavily on the accuracy of the resistor.

For the measurements, yes definitely. However where SQ is concerned it seems that resistor accuracy isn't the most important aspect - otherwise why would TDA1543 (where resistor matching is pretty appalling) still sound quite decent?

My experience of DACs tells me that a DAC's dynamic performance is more important for SQ than its INL and DNL which are traditional static measurements for DACs related to their resistor matching.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
For the measurements, yes definitely. However where SQ is concerned it seems that resistor accuracy isn't the most important aspect - otherwise why would TDA1543 (where resistor matching is pretty appalling) still sound quite decent?

My experience of DACs tells me that a DAC's dynamic performance is more important for SQ than its INL and DNL which are traditional static measurements for DACs related to their resistor matching.
Apparently MSB thinks much more of their Diamond resistors than the lower level ones. I think most folks think the diamond sounds better too. Maybe there are other reasons the Diamond sounds better, but according to MSB, the boards are very important. Maybe that's just marketing. I haven't heard any of these DACs. If I were going to audition one of these I would pick the Wavequest 2 when it comes out because the output can easily drive an amp and I believe the volume is dithered by a 63 bit FPGA. Sounds like my kind of DAC. Not that I'm looking for another ladder DAC, though. :)

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I think the diamond is like $45,000 and the Thrax is like $35,000. The Diamond uses the better boards, probably has much lower output impedance and is made in Aptos. If you do some negotiating, you might be able to pay almost the same price and get much better DAC.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
AFAIK, there's more to resistor quality in the Diamond version of the IV DAC. So much that you're able to upgrade a DAC IV from Platinum to Signature just by swapping the DAC modules, but that is not possible going to the Diamond. I don't know what else's replaced, but that's the information I got.

And, of course, there's plenty of difference between the Signature and the Diamond DAC IV...

I didn't knew MSB was doing OEM for these east european guys!

alexandre

Wilmington

Apr 5, 2013
Yes! And the Thrax should be called the "Mafia DAC" Check out Nigel Farage saying the Bulgarians are Mafioso:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=V72mZCDwmY0

Haha, Farage is the best, he's better than Eddy Izzard IMHO :) You should see the one about the President of the EU, I could not believe my eyes/ears... Kudos to the guy that runs that show.

The problem for me is that using MSB modules doesn't necessarily mean the DAC sounds good. There are a million smart guys who can program FPGAs and design boards, it takes someone who can actually listen to fine tune a device. Audio note is still here for a reason.

the Thrax stuff was hit hard by 6moons, for me saying "indistinguishable from the Metrum Hex" was the rudest possible insult to these guys, Srajan is usually a bit more diplomatic, it must have been really bad. And there were several other negative comments from Stereophile and others... The Romanian stuff has not been reviewed by anyone, I wonder why everybody wants to use those MSB modules, may be that is the road to high end? Just stick it there and you can sell at 20-30K?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing