TimbreDynamics Cable Lifters

rando

Sep 22, 2019
There is no right way to design something to work for every use case, but designs can be multi-faceted to a degree as long as it does not compromise its primary function.

With a scant few words you have asserted your place as an enterprising audio focused artisan. Fully determining your model intended to drive sales on Etsy was not a definitive vision. Ron was not in error zeroing in on your work and presenting it here for others to consider.

I think your eye for choosing materials and combining them will serve you well gaining new customers. Thank you for the well reasoned replies to all of our exacting thoughts.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I believe form and function are important to a lot of audio enthusiasts, so options are a good thing.
I agree with you and honestly, I hope you are successful. Many years ago, when I lived in LA and right before I opened a high end stereo store in Pasadena in 1978, I was an avid hobbyist and decided that I would make a product which was a high end speaker stand for Magneplanars. I built a few pair and sold them to friends. I then had requests to make more and made a few more lots of about 6 each and sold them exclusively through Jonas Miller Audio. They were beautifully crafted in anodized back aluminum and exotic woods and were priced inexpensively at about $200. They sold quickly and I had to choose between making more and finishing Med School at USC. Not surprisingly, I chose the latter but opened an audio store (while doing my Internship at LA County/USC!) . Well crafted audio accessories will always have a place in the wallet and minds of audiophiles. I just wanted to post that if the goal is simply to get cables off the floor, there are indeed cheaper ways to do it! However, I genuinely wish you every success.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Cable lifters are counter intuitive! What’s good about uneven support of a cable and stressing out the sagging sections in between the lifters given the weight of many so called audiophile wires?

david

I think this is a fair and valid point!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Do people who use cable lifters believe there is any sonic benefit to using cable lifters?

If so, do you believe this benefit is theoretical, or are you able to A/B compare with and without cable lifters and hear sonic differences in your own system?

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I like my cable lifters since they get the cables off the floor, and this makes it a lot easier to clean the dust under, and around, the cables. While I am a firm believer in various items making an audible difference, I can’t attribute any to the cable lifters. They are purely cosmetic, which is fine.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
FWIW. I wasn't a believer in the whole cable off the carpet thing. But, I'm one of those silly people who lifted my speaker cable off my carpet using CD cases and heard a decrease in overall noise and an audible increase in clarity, musicality, etc. But what do I know.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Do people who use cable lifters believe there is any sonic benefit to using cable lifters?

If so, do you believe this benefit is theoretical, or are you able to A/B compare with and without cable lifters and hear sonic differences in your own system?
Hi Ron, a few audiophile buddies and I travelled up to Seattle to visit MikeL a couple months back. We stopped at another guys house to hear his system and while listening he said “watch this” and lowered his cables (on one channel) to the floor, off his lifter thingies. Damn if I didn’t hear a difference, instantly. I’ll be adding lifters to my cables soon. (Once I’m done scrounging together more $$ for an upgraded LFD phono cable!)

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Hi Ron, a few audiophile buddies and I travelled up to Seattle to visit MikeL a couple months back. We stopped at another guys house to hear his system and while listening he said “watch this” and lowered his cables (on one channel) to the floor, off his lifter thingies. Damn if I didn’t hear a difference, instantly. I’ll be adding lifters to my cables soon. (Once I’m done scrounging together more $$ for an upgraded LFD phono cable!)

Can you say which lifters those are and what difference you heard? I gather you liked the difference you heard. Obviously Mike is dangerous.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Don’t know. It was not at Mike‘s place. The issue wasn’t which lifters, just the fact removing the cables from whatever lifters the fellow was using, and laying the cables on the floor, had an immediate (to me) impact on the sound. What I heard was a soundfield that shrank, dynamics that softened, and a general sense of muddiness. Restoring the cables to the lifters reversed the deleterious effects. This was not a particularly high end system, but not mid-fi either. If ever there was an a-b test this certainly qualified, though not a double-blind test. I was a amazed as I previously have thought while lifters might be a good idea, I dismissed the idea for the most part. I do have some little shunyata isolater pads I use to keep cables off one another, but up to now have not invested in lifters. While I expect one type may have a tiny difference vs another, I believe lifting the cables is where the benefit comes from.

Last edited:

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
@Bobvin, Thanks.

The mention of Mike was in reference to your scrounging for an LFD phono cable. :)
Got it. Thanks Tim. I am hating myself for not pulling the trigger on the LFD cable MikeL recently added to his system as it was offered to me at a very attractive price. I am upgrading the LFD I have to squeeze out as much from my Etsuro as I can afford. (Please don’t tell my wife! ;))

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Bob, Did your friend with the cable lifters do it on the both channels or just one channel?

Sounds like an interesting demonstration.
Just one channel. I certainly didn’t expect to hear what I did, I don’t have as keen an ear as many audiophiles.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Bobvin, I've heard your wife follows developments on this forum quite closely.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Bobvin, I've heard your wife follows developments on this forum quite closely.
Dammit man, she normally only watches the “new speakers“ threads!

She says she doesn’t care that much for jewelry, but amazingly she has never been sad upon receiving such gifts (which have gotten me out of trouble more than once!)

• Haha
Reactions: dbeau and PeterA

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
What I heard was a soundfield that shrank, dynamics that softened, and a general sense of muddiness. Restoring the cables to the lifters reversed the deleterious effects.
All good descriptors. The other thing I noticed was a lowering of the background noise which, may in part, be responsible for what you heard. It always amazes me that anyone can try this using CD cases, which some may have (for $0 cost) and if they don't, you can buy blanks on the internet for very minimal dollars. Or you can you some books laying around the house or anything that conveniently raises the cables off the rug.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Mike Goppert’s work is beautiful! I found in the box of cable lifters this complementary LP holder:

1A1C110B-F3DF-4424-88C3-7FA83EB1D0A0.jpeg

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020
Cable lifters actually work very well to get them off the floor so long as the lifters are vibration resistant themselves they decrease vibration transfer to the cables , resonance management ie. And they also do not 'cobtaminate' the dielectric used in the cable. If the cable is just on the floor, carpets are the worse for eg, they can contribute to the dielectric of the cable.

But of course to hear a different your system has to be of a high enough resolution

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Mike Goppert's beauties installed!

(And matching beautifully the walnut floor, and the black speakers!)

CD1A5C69-478D-410C-B500-1FCE81CC5A3D.jpeg

FD23BB70-21C4-49E4-B946-DE306C76431F.jpeg

Jan 25, 2021
Frisco, Texas
It's been a while since I visited this forum. I just want to say I hope you all have a blessed new year. I am here to entertain custom work. Again, any of my designs can be customized, so reach out before you order. Also, when ordering use "WHATSBEST" and get 10% off, or just let me know you are coming from this forum and I'll apply the discount. Peace and happy listening everyone!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing