Time for new cartridge, suggestions?

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
It's been a long time since I bought a cartridge. I don't have a huge amount of hours on mine but I would like to move on from my Benz Micro Glider HOMC. Sounds nice but never had anything else in my system. I don't like lean sound cartridges so lush lower mids are liked. My budget is $800-$1300 (new or used) I want to go LOMC (preferred). My table is VPI Classic II with JMW 10.5 inch arm. I have a Modwright LS100 with phono that has sufficient gain. Thank you in advance for suggestions.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Reactions: jeff1225

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
For the Hana, on that arm, you'll need a 'heavy screw' kit or similar to add some mass as they are quite light.

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
It's been a long time since I bought a cartridge. I don't have a huge amount of hours on mine but I would like to move on from my Benz Micro Glider HOMC. Sounds nice but never had anything else in my system. I don't like lean sound cartridges so lush lower mids are liked. My budget is $800-$1300 (new or used) I want to go LOMC (preferred). My table is VPI Classic II with JMW 10.5 inch arm. I have a Modwright LS100 with phono that has sufficient gain. Thank you in advance for suggestions.

I enjoyed the Benz-Micro Ruby 2 for 18 years. What is the current Benz-Micro model in your price range?

Still liking the Ruby 2-type sound I am moving on to a ZYX UNIverse Premium. Maybe look into the ZYX in your price range?

stephen_volker

Nov 2, 2015
I am a big fan of Van den Hul. You can have them to be repaired if there are any issues and can get them reasonably priced.

Joto

Apr 21, 2019
For the Hana, on that arm, you'll need a 'heavy screw' kit or similar to add some mass as they are quite light.
You can buy weights that attach to the top of your headshell for about $5 on ebay much cheaper than the screws. I used one wen I changed to a Soundsmith cartridge on my VPI

mulveling

Jul 6, 2017
Ah, my first cartridge was a Benz Glider L2, and I remember well that 1st upgrade decision! Back before I took the "blow it all" budget mentality with cartridges :) I auditioned the Ortofon Kontrapunkt "a" (now Cadenza Red, which is even better) and liked it better than the Glider, but that Ortofon model will not have the warmth you seek. I ended up with a Kontrapunkt "c" (now Cadenza Bronze), which has that warmth and would be an amazing upgrade to you Glider - but it's outside your stated budget. Later I picked up a Benz Wood M2 and Ref 3 for fun (note these are all 1 series out of date) - there's definitely a consistent Benz "house sound" across the 3 models, which is nice and I really do like it, but felt that overall performance scaled better with the Ortofons in that price range.

Shelters have a great tone and touch of warmth, but I've only heard/own their 2 top models (Accord, Harmony) - still, I'm sufficiently impressed that I'd be looking hard at the various Shelter models if I were you (I like them better than Ortofons). I like Koetsu even better than Shelter, but...price.

And of course the Hanas have been getting the most press in this price range, though I've not heard one myself. Probably worth a look!

Last edited:
Reactions: geodiak

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Is your arm the metal JMW or the 3D printed version? Cart choice would most likely be different based this. With the metal arm, Denon 103r, Hana SL, Cadenza Bronze are likely candidates. With the 3D printed arm, Dynavector 20X2 or if you can stretch for XX2 even better. The Transfiguration Axia might actually be a nice match for either arm, though I'm not sure what's happening with Transfiguration as a company at this point.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I second the recommendation of a Shelter 501. Full range, excellent tracking and beautiful midrange.

Reactions: geodiak

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
snip- With the metal arm, Denon 103r, Hana SL, Cadenza Bronze are likely candidates. -snip
i've setup all three of these on metal jmw arms...the denon and hana are both on the light side (re-body the Denon, add weights for the Hana).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing