To the cadavers: Kidney stones

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I've passed 3 in my time. Not fun. Not fun at all. I was in a pharma exec meeting several years ago with a Japan company whose CEO discovered Flomax (tamsulosin) which helped me pass the last one. He didn't speak a lot of English but I congratulated him profusely and he was so happy you would think I just gave him the Nobel prize for Medicine..

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
I've had the misfortune of having to pass kidney stones a few times over the years as a result of having gout and excess uric acid. The urologist had me collect the stones passed for analysis by having to go through a funnel with a fine screen. When I brought them in and gave them to the nurse she commented that she had never seen anyone pass a stone that large. I told her that I passed it so I was well aware of how large it was and really didn't need to know that! :eek:

• Sad
Reactions: Addicted to hifi

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I had one a couple of years ago, and I had no idea what was happening. The day started off okay, but as it went on I started to feel a pain. It finally got to the point I was in such pain I called an ambulance. At the hospital they stuck a camera inside me, and said it was a large kidney stone, and might have to operate. However, their poking around got it to pass. Even though I was drugged I immediately felt better once that happened. I have no idea what caused it and still worry it might happen again.

• Sad

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I’m told that the two worst pain types a human can have is that from a kidney stone and that of a mother in labor As a retired Ob/Gyn I can tell you the latter isn’t fun but as someone who himself has passed 2 stones all I can say is how could something so small cause so much pain . I now keep Flomax in my medicine cabinet just in case

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
In Tucson they call kidney stones your Welcome to the Desert gift.

I had one not too long after I moved here and had no idea what was wrong with me. Tried to tough it out but finally went to the emergency room. Pain meds at first and finally passed it.

None since then but I follow the local advise to always drink a lot of water. Has worked so far.

• Sad

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Also had a kidney stone of 5.5mm - had to pass it with flomax, water, and painkillers - not fun at all!

• Sad

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
I’m Lucky to even be alive. I have had kidney stones twice, gallstones and my gallbladder removed and suffered for years with severe anxiety and depression.thanks to music I got thru it.

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Yes I have fresh squeezed lemon and water every day--as for the stones touch wood!- none so far;)

I recall the Seinfield episode though with Kramer--

Interesting comments on the pain threshold above.

I wonder if it correlates to experiencing having a catheter pulled out without the balloon being deflated ?

The latter I avoided by the grace of God:rolleyes:

Yes well!

BruceD

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Yes I have fresh squeezed lemon and water every day--as for the stones touch wood!- none so far;)

I recall the Seinfield episode though with Kramer--

Interesting comments on the pain threshold above.

I wonder if it correlates to experiencing having a catheter pulled out without the balloon being deflated ?

The latter I avoided by the grace of God:rolleyes:

Yes well!

BruceD
And specifically citric acid from fresh squeezed lemons not oranges or other fruits with citric acid. Lemon juice in water should be had every day

Reactions: BruceD

Testy Troll

Dec 29, 2015
Had four kidney stone attacks in my lifetime (the first, by far, the worst).
They were the uric acid type.
Four years ago, a 3/4" stone was discovered during an X-ray.
I was about to receive a serious operation to remove it when my doctor suggested I try a long shot.
I started taking Potassium Citrate and Sodium Bicarbonate to alkalize my urine and hopefully reduce the size of the stone to a more manageable size.
Nine months later, the stone had miraculously disappeared.
My doctor was amazed.
Since then I have continued to take this combination with no further incidence of kidney stones.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing