To the cadavers: Kidney stones

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Is lemon juice from concentrate as effective? Thanks
I asked may urologist that very question and he was quite specific that it should be from freshly squeezed lemons.Depending oil the lemon size I use between a 1/4 to 1/2 of a lemon squeezed into 12 0z of water

Reactions: ack

Steve Williams

Totally agree
I never saw the first one I had so it must have been like a piece of sand. The second one I saw as I passed it and retrieved it for pathology and it proved to be the standard Calcium oxalate.It measure about 2-3 mm only and I could only shake my head that something so small could cause such severe pain

The one other caveat about kidney stones is whether they are unilateral or bilateral. If a patient has passed stone ifrom both kidneys one needs to exclude metabolic disease such as a parathyroid adenoma which is a cause of hyperglycemia and can manifest itself by the patient having bilateral kidney stones

Steve Williams

Finally for this who have large kidney stones which remain in the kidneys the non surgical treatment of choice is lithotripsy where the patient is immersed in water and undergoes a sonic boom in the water which makes powder out of the stones and allows the dust to pass

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
@Steve Williams Is pain during urination a sign of passing small stones, or an infection

Steve Williams

@Steve Williams Is pain during urination a sign of passing small stones, or an infection
usually infection. Women are more prone to UTI as they have a shorter urethra than men. Once the stone passes from the ureter into the bladder the severe pain tends to get better but pain persists until the stone is passed

As I said, I keep Flomax in my medicine cabinet just in case

Both of my stones almost certainly were the result of being under hydrated in a very hot climate where we were vacationing in Italy. Fortunate for me I had zero complaints on the 12 hour flight home but 3 hours after getting off the plane my symptoms started and were acute for 2 days until it plunked into the toilet bowl

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
When I had a kidney stone the pain was constant. Urination had nothing to do with it.

Steve Williams

When I had a kidney stone the pain was constant. Urination had nothing to do with it.
That's very normal. When the stone is working it's way down the ureter which has a very narrow lumen, that is what causes the colicky pain (as the stone gets stuck in the ureter which causes the ureter to peristalse which causes the severe colic). There are usually no urinary symptoms except usually microscopic or gross hematuria

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
I've suffered from kidney stones greatly over the past 10 years or so. I routinely passed a stone every 6weeks or so earlier this year.

This January I was scheduled for surgery to remove a 10mm stone... The morning of the surgery prior to leaving home to the hospital- I passed it. It was quite a prize and blessing all in one.

Potassium Citrate , Vitamin C and Lemon juice all help me to mitigate or break them down so they are not as painful. Its strange this large stone and some larger 7mm ones prior were not nearly as painful as some of the smaller ones. Morphine is the only thing that works if you are building up to the incredible pain they might cause.

Not fun for anyone that suffers from them.

• Sad

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I had one kidney stone about 15 years ago, and a second one about 5 years ago. I could not believe how debilitating was the pain,

Morphine definitely is the only thing that alleviates the pain.

The doctor's prescription was to stop drinking soda (done); stop eating meat (done); stop eating spinach (not done); stop taking calcium tablets (done); and stop eating strawberries (definitely not done).

Reactions: BruceD and ack

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Steve, did you know Italy's water has more calcium than other places?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Finally for this who have large kidney stones which remain in the kidneys the non surgical treatment of choice is lithotripsy where the patient is immersed in water and undergoes a sonic boom in the water which makes powder out of the stones and allows the dust to pass

I have had this done for one of my episodes. It really wasn't too bad and you don't feel much. They don't always break the stones into powdery pieces. The one I passed after the procedure was a stone the size of a BB. My back was black and blue for a week.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing