To those who switched formats

Andorra

Jul 27, 2014
To those with large LP or CD or RTR collections who switched formats - say, getting into computer-based audio - did you keep your hard copies?

If you tried to sell them, what were the best methods for large collections? I have thousands of LPs and dread the thought of posting a thousand ads and answering a million emails about which stamper or what reissue... ( and no, I wasn't one of those buyers who sent those emails ).

Most of my high-value LPs would be classical, some good jazz.

Appreciate any thoughts.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
To those with large LP or CD or RTR collections who switched formats - say, getting into computer-based audio - did you keep your hard copies?

If you tried to sell them, what were the best methods for large collections? I have thousands of LPs and dread the thought of posting a thousand ads and answering a million emails about which stamper or what reissue... ( and no, I wasn't one of those buyers who sent those emails ).

Appreciate any thoughts.

Best bet seems to be to sell the entire collection to a vinyl store. Of course, you won't get top dollar, but will save a big hassle. Of course, you cannot legally sell ripped CDs, although I doubt the FBI will come knocking on your door. I keep all mine, not as backup per se (I have three backups of the data files), but because I try to play by the copyright rules. I suspect if you have digitized you LPs, you cannot technically sell them either.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Best bet seems to be to sell the entire collection to a vinyl store. Of course, you won't get top dollar, but will save a big hassle. Of course, you cannot legally sell ripped CDs, although I doubt the FBI will come knocking on your door. I keep all mine, not as backup per se (I have three backups of the data files), but because I try to play by the copyright rules. I suspect if you have digitized you LPs, you cannot technically sell them either.

A used record store will give you pennies on the dollar. If you sell the whole collection at once you will get more money selling to a private collector.

The smartest way would be to look them all up on the internet and then sell the high dollar ones individually, and then sell the rest of the collection in bulk. The more work you put in the more money you will get. Kind of depends on what your time is worth to you.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I got into computer audio last year and do all my listening that way. However, I have kept my CDs and LPs.

Andorra

Jul 27, 2014
Thanks - I haven't ripped any music of any format, and I'd likely hang on to anything that I listen to, but I'm finding that's maybe 20% of what I own.

I'm interested in hi-rez computer audio but frankly waiting a bit to jump in.

thanks everyone, and I appreciate any other thoughts

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I got into computer audio last year and do all my listening that way. However, I have kept my CDs and LPs.

+1
I keep all CD's after I copy them to my SooLoos. First they are my back-up and second legally in the US I would have to delete any files if I sold or gave away the discs.

Garth

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

Appreciate any thoughts.

I saw a 10,000 lp collection listed at 90,000 or 9 dollars a record it was rock and blues. I think you will find classical will not bring top dollar Jazz is more collectable IMO.
Also IMO do not sell it I have never sold a record or gone a week without buying at lest one.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I would also advise not to sell.

However, if you do decide to sell, please let me know. (Just being an altruistic, helpful kinda guy!)

Last edited:

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
A used record store will give you pennies on the dollar. If you sell the whole collection at once you will get more money selling to a private collector.

The smartest way would be to look them all up on the internet and then sell the high dollar ones individually, and then sell the rest of the collection in bulk. The more work you put in the more money you will get. Kind of depends on what your time is worth to you.

+1

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I ripped all my CDs, SACDs, DVD-As, and even DVD-videos to hard drives - backed up 3 copies in this country and 1 copy kept in another country. However, I have not sold any for legal reasons. I did throw away all the jewel cases and put all the discs in CD folders though. That saved a LOT of space.

Andorra

Jul 27, 2014
Just for clarity's sake, I probably won't be ripping anything. I'll keep the CDs and LPs that I listen to but will stop buying new ones (and will sell the CDs and LPs that I don't listen to, which is most of them).

The only reason I'll change formats is solely to access new high-resolution music, not for convenience (it would be more convenient for me to just stay the course).

I don't have an eBay account and kind of dread the process. Would you believe I've never purchased anything on eBay, and only used Amazon for the first time last year (and no, I'm not 88 years old).

I'm more likely to try to sell on here or audio sales sites.

Thanks again for all the insights.

I got rid of my turntable and threw away the LPs in the latter part of the eighties and in 2006 we made our last CD player and I've used iTunes for everything since. I reckon "mastered for iTunes" is the best sound you get, so for the TV room I use an Apple TV and in my sitting room where we have speakers only I use an Airport Express all via and iPad or of customers come for a dem, from theirs.

I've never had a better system

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing