Tobian Sound Systems are very excited to announce the ultimate Horn System - the 12 Signature

Günter Tobian

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2019
www.tobian-soundsystems.com
WBF-Newsletter-Tobian-FH-Signature1.jpg

The 12 Signature has the incredible ability to deliver the tiniest dynamic changes, the most beautiful tone and transparency, independent of musical style and loudness.
This speaker is able to recreate the emotions that usually only live music can give you. Sounds like you never heard before. Music that goes deep into your body and soul...a tonal magic....the new 12 Signature.

12-signature-01-hero-1d21049b-1.jpg

12 Signature key features

• Handcrafted 14.5 inch CD-horn from aluminum/magnesium alloy. ?
• New ultra light 4 inch diaphragm shellac vaporized 2.0 inch exit throat. ?
• Pure titanium compression driver Neo magnet Bl 2.2 T ?• 12 inch woofer, pure paper cone Alnico magnet Bl 25.5 T. ?
• minimal crossover for woofer only (level matching between the mid-high range compression driver and woofer out of signal path).
?• Frequency range: 20Hz - 20kHz. ?
• 8 ohm.
?• handcrafted horn loaded wooden cabinet with 4 different types of wood?(example musical instrument construction).
?• resonance free height adjustable feet. ?
• handpicked veneer exclusively for the customer?
• exclusively build for customer (built to order)

12-signature-06.jpeg 12-signature-03.jpeg 12-signature-02.jpeg

Last edited:

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
Having just spent a week with these speakers as we made the world debut presentation of the Tobian 12 SEs at Florida Audio Expo 2023 last week, I can definitely attest to just how special these speakers are. The tone, imaging and dynamic prowess of these speakers are truly next level and we had a full house in our room for most of the show event including several reviewers and industry persons who couldn't get enough.

IMG-20230218-WA0003.jpg

Stay tuned as the press reviews begins to come in over the days to come. Here is an early one from the esteemed Michael Fremer who chose this room as his top pic for the small rooms at the event:

IMG-20230218-WA0002.jpg

Reactions: panhead and pgk

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
Reactions: Scott Naylor

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
The attached video tells about at 99 db efficiency so... excellent...
But... specifications are not clearly declared... "Minimal crossover for woofer only"?
What does It mean?
There's no data about crossover frequency point and filter slope. 6 db/octave First order? 12 db/octave second order?
Mid-highs driver can't receive any low frequency of course.

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
Günter,

Other than the obvious differences in appearance, please elaborate on the component and sound quality differences between your FH speakers and these Signature. How do you choose between each series?

Thank you,
Greg

Reactions: LampiNA

Günter Tobian

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2019
Günter,

Other than the obvious differences in appearance, please elaborate on the component and sound quality differences between your FH speakers and these Signature. How do you choose between each series?

Thank you,
Greg
Hello Greg,
it starts with the cabinet, in the Signature compared to the FH models we use an increased horn loading volume and 4 different wood (FH 3 types) types like a handcrafted instruments.

handcrafted 14.5 inch CD-Horn from al..uminum magnesium alloy , the compression driver is also equipped with a more powerful magnet with an ultra light pure titanium membrane is shellac vaporized this process rounds off the overall sound impression.

in our comparisons with other drivers in this 4.0 inch class was the difference so big that the TI-4.0 has literally pulverized all competitors and that in all fields of sound quality

the TI-4.0 is of course protected against low frequencies, the level adjustment between both chassis is regulated outside the signal path, with this method the sound remains particularly pure and clear without musical atributes and the cut-off frequency of the CD horn regulates the mid-high range.

the woofer has also an increased magnet power and lower weight, the paper cone of only 36g incl. air load

by the woofer is used a exclusively a handmade extremely large E-core coil that supplies the woofer clean signal power.......

thank you and best greetings
Günter

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
n our comparisons with other drivers in this 4.0 inch class was the difference so big that the TI-4.0 has literally pulverized all competitors and that in all fields of sound quality
Are you remotely serious ? might you advise us as to the manufacturers of the other 4 inch CD’s that you “pulverised” in the course of your R&D ?

Günter Tobian

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2019
Are you remotely serious ? might you advise us as to the manufacturers of the other 4 inch CD’s that you “pulverised” in the course of your R&D ?
We have tried in the time of development of our 12SE 9 compression drivers that came into question for us at all from A to Z all price classes what the market provides.
I don't want to discuss which driver and which price range is the best, often it was even the case that the cheaper provider was equal or......

It's like cooking, 10 cooks cook the same menu, 10 results, all different but one stands out from the crowd and creates something special and that's it

We have put together a compression driver that meets our requirements, the driver that stands out from the crowd and delivers a very special result.

you visit the FlAX? do heard the 12SE?

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
While it doesn't fully come through on the video, that song, though simple, was chosen because it was absolutely goosebump provoking in our room. Jenna's voice was mesmerizing and I had at least a dozen attendees take a picture of the album cover on our roon to look into her further.

The coverage of these speakers in our space was pretty over the top as well.

Fremer called it the best of the regular sized rooms: https://trackingangle.com/features/florida-international-audio-expo-2023?mibextid=kdkkhi

Editor Scott Hull of Part Time Audiophile also awarded it among his best of: https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2023/03/03/scots-best-in-show-flax-2023/?amp

Editor Steve Rocheilin of Enjoy the Music also gave this room best of show honors stating: "My listening notes say this is perhaps the most natural-sounding and musical system of the show.". https://www.enjoythemusic.com/Flori...tOr_Tobian_Soundsystems_Westminister_Labs.htm

Reactions: findog

SeagoatLeo

Feb 23, 2015
While it doesn't fully come through on the video, that song, though simple, was chosen because it was absolutely goosebump provoking in our room. Jenna's voice was mesmerizing and I had at least a dozen attendees take a picture of the album cover on our roon to look into her further.

The coverage of these speakers in our space was pretty over the top as well.

Fremer called it the best of the regular sized rooms: https://trackingangle.com/features/florida-international-audio-expo-2023?mibextid=kdkkhi

Editor Scott Hull of Part Time Audiophile also awarded it among his best of: https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2023/03/03/scots-best-in-show-flax-2023/?amp

Editor Steve Rocheilin of Enjoy the Music also gave this room best of show honors stating: "My listening notes say this is perhaps the most natural-sounding and musical system of the show.". https://www.enjoythemusic.com/Flori...tOr_Tobian_Soundsystems_Westminister_Labs.htm
"...absolutely goosebump provoking in our room." Well, as I previously stated, while it maybe enjoyable music, in NO way does it establish a base line for sound quality in a speaker. It is too simplistic. This is a major reason why, other than room acoustics/power quality that dozens of my friends and I dislike the majority of audio show rooms. The music should be somewhat complex, challenging to determine if a speaker can reproduce quality sound (not necessarily accurate sound) from that variety of source material. Various opera, classical, jazz and rock can provide good tests. A soprano and a guitar, especially as simplistic as the recording used for that demonstration is woefully inadequate. Why don't you post a variety of challenging source material so that we can better evaluate the merits of your speaker(s)?

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
Thank you for that suggestion. Here are a few samples of our the Tobian 12SEs in action.

If you have a track in mind that might be particularly telling for a video evaluation, I would be happy to try to capture it for you in my listening parlor. Additionally, you would be most welcome to an in person demonstration of these speakers on Long Island, New York if you find yourself out this way.

SeagoatLeo

Feb 23, 2015
Thank you for that suggestion. Here are a few samples of our the Tobian 12SEs in action.

If you have a track in mind that might be particularly telling for a video evaluation, I would be happy to try to capture it for you in my listening parlor. Additionally, you would be most welcome to an in person demonstration of these speakers on Long Island, New York if you find yourself out this way.
Again, posting videos/audios of not demanding musical material to access the abilities of the speakers. These could be great speakers but I am incapable of determining this from your samples.

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
Again, posting videos/audios of not demanding musical material to access the abilities of the speakers. These could be great speakers but I am incapable of determining this from your samples.
I invited you to pick a track of your liking, but I don't think you'd be interested anyway.

That's ok... Good luck in your endeavors

Audio 1

Jul 18, 2022
Naples, FL
Fred you have an awesome looking room!

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Yes, gorgeous room and cool speakers. Happy to see a more affordable model from this unique brand.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing