Todd's Music

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
All, I thought I would start a thread where I could post some of the music I have come across that I like. I have a broad taste in music. Some of it is not really what would be considered audiophile but still great. I will likely post on some albums that have been in my collection a while but were recently re-discovered. I hope you find some gem's here.

Reactions: Scott W

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Ok. to kick this off is an album by the Shins called "wincing the night away" that I was listening to last night. I really like the song sleeping lessons. It is highly energetic and gets the foot tapping and heart pounding. I like to listen to this one pretty loud. The song comes in three movements (you'll see what I mean if you listen to it). So don't just listen to the beginning and think it's not to your taste. Oh, and listening to this on youtube through your computer doesn't even come close to what this song does. You don't get the 3D effect or the rolling deep bass etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott W

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
I took this CD to LSAF several years ago and it was a hit. (Remember when we used to take CD's to shows?) I find most people have never heard of her or this CD. If you are into female vocal then this CD is for you. Susie has this warm, inviting voice. This self titled album is also well arranged. Everyone I have introduced this album to has bought it. I can sit down and listen to this CD from beginning to end without any thoughts of turning off the music.

Reactions: Scott W and BruceD

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Marie Boine is a Scandinavian singer so if you are ok with your music not being in your native tongue then this one is 100% fantastic. Eallin is recorded live. The sound is huge and spacious. Track 7 -- "Vuolgge mu mielde bassivarrai" is like attending a rock concert. It has bass guitar, electric guitar, and all kinds of other unusual instruments. About a minute into the song the bass hits and starts to really drive. Give this one a try and crank it up if you have full range speakers.

Reactions: brudge and Scott W

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
I discovered Fink several years ago while watching an episode of "The Walking Dead". This song was playing during the intro and I used Shazam to find the song. Since then I have bought a few of his albums and still enjoy listening to his music.

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
And you’ve no doubt heard this one that others should listen to.

and one from Noah Gundersen.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
I never watched AGT but recently discovered a lot of the artists through youtube. When I saw Courtney Hadwin perform I was amazed at what I saw and heard. Courtney has a lot of talent. She put out a little EP that is available on amazon or can be streamed. I really like her cover of "Sign of the Times". I hope she will put out a full album at some point in the near future. Enjoy.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
I really enjoy listening to Meena Cryle. Her music was introduced to me from my uncle. Who also happens to be an audiophile. This is one of my favorite songs of hers. I am pretty sure if I played this song for 10 people at least 9 of them would think it was form Stevie Ray Vaughn album. Of course once Meena starts to sing it is a very different experience. The "Live" album is pretty hard to find but worth the effort.

I had put this into another thread but I thought I put it here in case anyone missed it.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
I am pretty sure I found Lisa Bassenge purely by accident through a random amazon purchase. But I am glad I did. I really like her voice. The recording here is also very good. Many of you probably recall "Grandma's Hands" from the Chesky Ultimate Demonstration Disc back in the day. I am sure dealers started to really loathe this collection of songs. I much prefer Lisa's version. Her voice is very present in the recording and the bass is well played and will explore the articulation capabilities of your woofers as the strings are plucked.

brudge

Jul 13, 2021
I noticed you choice of Mari Boine mr.Sbnx. Shes a nestor but you should look at the younger talents. All due respect, not so obviously self enlightened..

brudge

Jul 13, 2021
How do you like roots mr.sir? (Robert Plant / Alison Crauss) - Killing the blues.

Last edited:

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I am pretty sure I found Lisa Bassenge purely by accident through a random amazon purchase. But I am glad I did. I really like her voice. The recording here is also very good. Many of you probably recall "Grandma's Hands" from the Chesky Ultimate Demonstration Disc back in the day. I am sure dealers started to really loathe this collection of songs. I much prefer Lisa's version. Her voice is very present in the recording and the bass is well played and will explore the articulation capabilities of your woofers as the strings are plucked.

Thanks. There is also a very fine version of Grandma's Hands by Bill Withers, who wrote the song, about his maternal grandmother. Larry

Reactions: brudge

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Then I think you should post it. mr.sir.

I only have it on a 15ips 2 track copy of a master tape. The album is Bill Withers Greatest Hits. Larry

brudge

Jul 13, 2021
I don't even know what that means..
I'm not smart and I dont even own a smartphone, but did you enjoy Stevie Nicks and Fleetwood Mac this evening?

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing