Tom Brady announces he's 'retiring for good' Brady won seven Super Bowl championships

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Reactions: Scott Naylor

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Still like Peyton Manning and John Elway better... :cool:
Peyton Manning is my GOAT. If winning games in a team sport is the measure, why is not Bill Russell (God rest his soul) not the GOAT in basketball, Or for that matter all the other people who played for the Patriots? That measure would make Scottie Pippen or Gronk GOATs. Don't get mad. It is only grist the for discussion mill.
Too bad he did not retire before his divorce.

Steve Williams

Peyton Manning is my GOAT. If winning games in a team sport is the measure, why is not Bill Russell (God rest his soul) not the GOAT in basketball, Or for that matter all the other people who played for the Patriots? That measure would make Scottie Pippen or Gronk GOATs. Don't get mad. It is only grist the for discussion mill.
Too bad he did not retire before his divorce.
I think it was his last season where he unretired that cost him his marriage

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I think you are 100% correct. I've had 3 friends lose their marriage when they "unretired" from work. Their wives wanted to travel and live life, and these guys (who had no hobbies BTW) needed to work.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
yeah . "One and done'" should have been has plan. You always want to leave them wanting more. The sheer financial nature of the game will assure no one will ever break his record.. How many QBs, if any have won a SB in the NFC and AFC?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Well their TOTAL rings don’t come close to the 7 Brady has
If that is the sole criterion of what makes a quarterback great, then I guess there is a point to be made there. I personally look at things like 4th quarter comebacks and other stats that are less team/coach influenced…its not like Michael Phelps winning 8 gold in Beijing (and most gold of any athlete) to be the undisputed GOAT. The Patriots were a team…not just Brady… number of rings is not a great criterion for greatest QB.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
If that is the sole criterion of what makes a quarterback great, then I guess there is a point to be made there. I personally look at things like 4th quarter comebacks and other stats that are less team/coach influenced…its not like Michael Phelps winning 8 gold in Beijing (and most gold of any athlete) to be the undisputed GOAT. The Patriots were a team…not just Brady… number of rings is not a great criterion for greatest QB.
I have to respectfully disagree with you. Brady winning the 7th ring in Tampa makes him the GOAT QB in my book.

Reactions: Long Live Analog

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I have to respectfully disagree with you. Brady winning the 7th ring in Tampa makes him the GOAT QB in my book.
If you were creating the greatest QB what attribute would you take from Brady? Whatever your choice i can pick some body better.

Steve Williams

Don’t get me wrong because I like Manning and Elway. I admire their skills but frankly yes, it’s all about rings no matter how you slice it. On this side of the pond Brad winning isn't everything its the only thing. There isn't a QB I can think of that even comes close to Brady. Joe Montana was a favorite of mine and a game winner. He has a few rings but "BRADY HAS 7 RINGS"

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I could dissect Brady'' performance apart. I have done it before. if all that counts even in team sports. Is naming the GOAT just a matter of looking at the stat sheet. For example does that mean hat Jerry Rice is not GOAT wide receiver? I could go on. I think you get my point.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I could dissect Brady'' performance apart. I have done it before. if all that counts even in team sports. Is naming the GOAT just a matter of looking at the stat sheet. For example does that mean hat Jerry Rice is not GOAT wide receiver? I could go on. I think you get my point.
Your point misses the mark. Football is the only team sport where there is an on field general, a position that literally leads the scoring. Hockey, Basketball, Cricket, Soccer, Baseball, etc has no similar position.

When you’re talking about QB’s, it’s about rings. just like when you’re talking about wars you talking about generals winning battles.

Reactions: Steve Williams

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
I think you are 100% correct. I've had 3 friends lose their marriage when they "unretired" from work. Their wives wanted to travel and live life, and these guys (who had no hobbies BTW) needed to work.
Everyone on this website is safe because we all have a hobby.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Your point misses the mark. Football is the only team sport where there is an on field general, a position that literally leads the scoring. Hockey, Basketball, Cricket, Soccer, Baseball, etc has no similar position.

When you’re talking about QB’s, it’s about rings. just like when you’re talking about wars you talking about generals winning battles.
if you think football is the only team sport with an on field general you need to bone up on your sports strategy.
Continuing with your military analogy have you ever heard of a lieutenant. The General would be the coach. I should know netter than to take on the Brady fans. A ss tube argument would be easier.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I do agree with one thing. As the great Coach Herman said, "You play to win the game."

Reactions: Long Live Analog

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
if you think football is the only team sport with an on field general you need to bone up on your sports strategy.
Continuing with your military analogy have you ever heard of a lieutenant. The General would be the coach. I should know netter than to take on the Brady fans. A ss tube argument would be easier.
Please enlighten us with an example of another sport that has and on field general the way football does, a sport where every offensive play begins with this player. You can’t.

It’s also well documented that Brady co-coached with Belichick, was quite active in recruiting, and took a reduced salary to have better players.

Lastly if you know anything about military doctrine you would know there are several generals on the field of battle. Think of Belichick as General Eisenhower, supreme Allied Commander, and Brady as General Patton.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing