Tone arm suggestions for a Garrard 401

kensell21

Nov 24, 2013
Hi all,

I been told there's room on my plinth for a second arm. Only room for a 9" maybe 10" arm.

ATM I have a 12" 750L Jelco arm. With the possible carts Denon 103 with ESC mods. Benz Micro Wood SL, Benz Micro Ace Mono, also a Ortofon 78 cart for a recent gift from my dad of his 200 or so collection of shellac

My initial thinking was to have the mono cart on the second arm.. With a maybe a occasional change over 78 play..

But...

Someone suggested that I should have both carts on the best arm I can afford? So the question arises, should I buy the same arm for both carts?? Doesn't sound the most cost effective way does it....

As I have another deck, a Gyrodec currently with a SME IV, someone said perhaps keep the mono cart on the Garrard and just play stereo on the Gyrodec... But that seems rather restrictive. This refutes the suggestion earlier to have the best arm possible... Then doesn't that mean I should have the best deck I can afford rather than two decks? then that begs the question which goes, then should I sell both and get the best deck I can afford for the carts I own??? It would never end..

ATM I'd still like to keep the Garrard but I'm not sure about the Gyrodec..
I could take the SME IV off the gyro and use it as a second arm on the Garrard..

My budget for a arm might depend on whether I go for a second arm or one main one.. I have already been offered a Graham 2.2 with a second wand...

Someone suggested to get a Dynavector arm which will be easy to change carts quickly.

Any suggestions to help me think this through would be great..

thanks...

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I think it depends on how often you listen to mono and 78's. If it's quite often then having three arms would be much less hassle. Even with multiple arm wands on the Graham you will have to readjust VTF and VTA for each different wand/cart combo. On the other hand if you would rather have max performance for the cart you use most it would be better to consolidate and buy the best stuff you can.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing