TONEARM CABLE

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
Dear All

I thought I'd start this thread both for my own selfish purposes and as a general point of discussion. My questions are thus.

1. Do the majority subscribe to the one loom approach - ie the same manufacturer tonearm cable, interconnect and speaker?
2. Have others switched around tonearm cables? - my own experience is that I bought a Nordost TYR and that was just superb - that said I've not tried their interconnect, and I find the speaker cables have a house sound that I just do not like
3. Is it better to have through cable from cart pins to phono plug? or a plug in cable?

I need to get around 3-4 tonearm cables and having experienced the TYR it really is a night and day improvement on my TCI cable.

I was recently in need of an interconnect that did not cost the earth, and tried the cheapest Vertere D-Fi cable - it was better than Lavardins' own interconnect - this in turn makes me wonder what the D-fi tonearm cable or the more expensive Pulse B can do.

My other options are:

Furutech AG-12 - I've heard all sorts of good things about these
LAvardin tonearm cable

I would appreciate some input

Reactions: hogen

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Metropolitan Detroit area, MI
No single loom per se for my kit. I find good quality speaker cables in my system seem to offer little to no effect, they are colourless. Lucky me, money saved for record purchases. Theoretically and actually the less connections the better, but it’s just not practical. Less solder would likely improve things too.

I found the TYR2 is even more than the TYR(1) sonically for IC anyway. Sweeter, an added liquid sense of flow, more colour by very small amounts imho

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
My 2 cents:

1. Do the majority subscribe to the one loom approach - ie the same manufacturer tonearm cable, interconnect and speaker? I do, I've had they best luck here. However, I have had mixed cables and that sounded great at the time, the single loom does seem to offer a better approach in the end however.

2. Have others switched around tonearm cables? - my own experience is that I bought a Nordost TYR and that was just superb - that said I've not tried their interconnect, and I find the speaker cables have a house sound that I just do not like
I have here also. Better tonearm cabling is a like a cartridge upgrade. It's very important.

3. Is it better to have through cable from cart pins to phono plug? or a plug in cable? I've had both. Although it's hard to A-B test, I think a better cable trumps the straight through.

You may want to consider a Transparent Audio cable on your list. These have to be configured to your cartridges/phono stage impedance characteristics. I suspect it's a different sound than your current Nordost.

MTB Vince

May 11, 2019
Dundas, ON Canada
The VdH internal wiring in my SME V failed last year. When I had the arm re-wired I elected to have it done with a single run of Cardas from cartridge pins to RCAs. Presently my phono lead is currently the only Cardas cable in my system.

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Metropolitan Detroit area, MI
I have had Kondo-San’s Fairy Hair silver litz in my SME V for over a decade and appreciate the detail and air over the stock VDH copper. Further, trying to find a Kondo/Audio Note phono IC to compliment gets pricey and without a taste-test, I’m simply NOT sure at all. I have had Nordost TYR(1) and just went to a TYR2. I really like what was changed in the 2’s. Liked it so well, it now dominates my front-end loom.

See my comments:
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/nordost-making-the-connection.26025/#post-694628

Cheers!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing