Top Gun Maverick

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Finally after 5 delays and supposed release in 2019 this much awaited movie will be released on May 27th

I hope the music is as good as the first. The aerial photography is pretty darn good

Top Gun: Maverick: NEW Official Trailer​

Steve Williams

New ‘Top Gun: Maverick’ Trailer Ties Val Kilmer’s “Iceman” Into New Movie | THR News

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Hopefully it doesn’t exceed Hollywood wokeness, whatever that is.

Reactions: Alrainbow

rando

Sep 22, 2019
I never watch movies and even less often watch movie trailers. By chance I finished playing this one last night and opened up WBF to find Steve had just posted this thread. Interesting to me how stark a reception it is garnering. Maybe the bar I judge Hollywood action movies by is too low. TC projects have a well established formula predating a lot of nonsense.

If it was made in 2022 it probably would....

SHE-HULK direct to Disney Channel 2022 :D

Reactions: howiebrou

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Saw the movie on the largest screen in Michigan this afternoon. That is definitely the best way to see it. It may not be a great movie but it was pretty darn entertaining and at least as good as the original.

also, Jenifer Connelly sure looks good.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
LOOKING FORWARD TO IT. I HAVE TO FIND A BIG SCREEN THEATRE WITH EXCELLENT SOUND SYSTEM. THE ONE NAERBY CLOSED DUE TO COVID AND WAS SUBSEQUENTLY DEMOLISHED.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Still did not see the movie itself but just seeing how they shot all the flying scenes is bloody impressive

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Fantastic sequel in all respects. Couldn’t believe they pulled it off. And didn’t bring back the original lines but hinted at parts of the movie at the same time. Really great!

the Val Kilmer scene was really touching

Reactions: treitz3 and Folsom

Steve Williams

Fantastic sequel in all respects. Couldn’t believe they pulled it off. And didn’t bring back the original lines but hinted at parts of the movie at the same time. Really great!

the Val Kilmer scene was really touching
I totally agree. My wife and I loved it. No real soundtrack like the first had but did have a good song by Lady Gaga which almost certainly will be nominated.
The aerial scenes were amazing

Reactions: Golum

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
Entertaining movie. Jennifer Connelly with her vintage silver 911 is pretty good motivation to come back after the mission. I actually found the sense of patriotism a bit subdued. Tom Cruise certainly is a movie star.
Vintage 911!!!:p

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Vintage 911!!!:p

Yes, that was purposeful. I think it is a pre-1974 because of the non safety bumper. These look so much better, but not knowing the exact year, I figured vintage would cover it. I had a ‘71 once. It was also silver.

Edit: just discovered it is a 1973 911S, the perfect model, last year with those bumpers and biggest engine.

1654430305003.jpeg

ecwl

Mar 20, 2021
Winnipeg, Canada
LOOKING FORWARD TO IT. I HAVE TO FIND A BIG SCREEN THEATRE WITH EXCELLENT SOUND SYSTEM. THE ONE NAERBY CLOSED DUE TO COVID AND WAS SUBSEQUENTLY DEMOLISHED.
Airbus IMAX with Laser theater instead? I think Gaithersberg also has an IMAX with Laser theatre but it might be a second gen theatre with only 1 laser projector, instead of 2. Either way, It's almost definitely worth the drive for this movie.
Unfortunately, I live in the middle of nowhere in Canada so I had to watch it in Digital IMAX 2K projection. My friend living in Toronto is gloating about getting tickets to his local IMAX with Laser dual projection theater. I'm jealous.
I guess I have lower cost of living and can afford more audio gear? But then maybe I should switch professions, get a better job that pays more and live in a bigger city to afford the gear while being able to watch movies in IMAX with Laser theaters... Instead of being stuck at work right now, haha...

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Yes, that was purposeful. I think it is a pre-1974 because of the non safety bumper. These look so much better, but not knowing the exact year, I figured vintage would cover it. I had a ‘71 once. It was also silver.

Edit: just discovered it is a 1973 911S, the perfect model, last year with those bumpers and biggest engine.

View attachment 94188
Kelly McGillis drove a 356 in the original - again a subtle hommage

Reactions: PeterA

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
The Porsche thing was slightly confusing. Hollywood has a terrible propensity for making a confusing fuckery of car values. They think old cars are old cars… like a bar owner in a small town could afford a car that had out appreciated NYC real estate? Uhh. They do the shit constantly. I can’t even count the amount of shows where they have $100k+ vintage vehicles that they call old, or pretend don’t run right and the character is silly or poor for owning. It’s just an absolute disconnect from reality. Ok… rant done.

Jennifer Connely was nice casting. The original lady is a number of years older than Tom Cruise… and 100lbs heavier so kinda hard to have her be the love interest riding on the back of his sport bike.

I really enjoyed the zero woke trash in the movie. It was so not political that they didn’t even name the country they were fighting (Iran is what was depicted as far as anyone can tell).

Can’t say I deeply love it, which is the same as the original for me. So on a movie scale its 5/10 for me or something… but for a remake/bring-back it’s a 10/10. It had a few predictable parts but it is rewatchable just like the original. (It’s also as inaccurate as the original, so while super fun, also entirely nonsense as far as actual fighter planes)

My only disappointment though was I think the imax I watched it in reset the volume to everyone-is-a-total-pussy level… I’ve had the pleasure of being in just the right place to watch a pair of F18 fly LOW (kinda like the movie), but not air show slow… and hit a hard AF bank turn straight into full throttle firing breathing after burners…. (I could see into the engines) And that was a religious experience that made you wonder how close to being gods we are with our ability to make something that is like if you bottled together a dozen of the most powerful thunder cracks you’ve heard. The theater was like a mouse fart… and the music was kinda tinny sounding.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing