top notch 4k projector

markyboy156

Aug 4, 2019
also im after a projector on a bargain price for under £1500 i want it to do the biggect diagonal screen size image posdible at a distance of about 12 feet from sitting away from the screen
im after a 4k projector for top notch visuals
i want i want it to give me the best visuals currently available i want it for really showing of the very latest blockbuster movies special effects films and the same for gaming as well

what 4k projector is currently out there for the price would give me a top notch picture quality at this price

also what is the no1 4k projector for the same information i asked for doesnt matter of price
also i want it so i can connect a mobile phone to it

Bella brown

Jul 15, 2021

Try Sony 270es 4k projector £4020 with real 4k resolution, reality creation, motion flow, HDR support. That's great.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Try Sony 270es 4k projector £4020 with real 4k resolution, reality creation, motion flow, HDR support. That's great.

Welcome to WBF, Bella brown!

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area

Go to "Find a Projector." It is a great search engine. You can specify 4K projectors and if you choose all Manufacturers and whatever price category you get a listing of the projectors in the price range. There are a few 4K projectors under $1500, all of them 3840. Many of the top brands don't have 4K projectors below $2500. The highest end projectors are in the 6 figures.

Larry

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Stay away from Sony. Their panels degrade and when out of warranty you’re looking at a very expensive bill.
JVC leads the consumer projector industry - they are better in just about every respect.
I switched from a Sony laser with their best lens (995ES) to a JVC lamp with their best lens (RS3000). The JVC throws a much sharper image with better overall contrast.

Reactions: christoph

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Stay away from Sony. Their panels degrade and when out of warranty you’re looking at a very expensive bill.
JVC leads the consumer projector industry - they are better in just about every respect.
I switched from a Sony laser with their best lens (995ES) to a JVC lamp with their best lens (RS3000). The JVC throws a much sharper image with better overall contrast.
+1......about JVC. but have no experience owning Sony long term.

i've owned my 4K JVC RS-4500 (with a Lumagen Pro + Studio Tek 100 2.35:1 screen) for 5 years now and it still has a great picture. i mostly listen to music in my 2 channel room so i don't have many hours on my RS-4500 as it's in a different room and building from my 2 channel.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I have owned 2 Sonys long term and have never had an issue.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I have owned 2 Sonys long term and have never had an issue.
That’s great.
On my 995ES ($35K MSRP) at around 550 hours it developed a greenish non-uniformity. It was only noticeable on black and white or very bright white scenes. Sony replaced the entire optical block under warranty; but the tech told me it will happen again and the part alone is $16K, so you don’t want to foot that bill when not under warranty.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
+1......about JVC. but have no experience owning Sony long term.

i've owned my 4K JVC RS-4500 (with a Lumagen Pro + Studio Tek 100 2.35:1 screen) for 5 years now and it still has a great picture. i mostly listen to music in my 2 channel room so i don't have many hours on my RS-4500 as it's in a different room and building from my 2 channel.
Hi Mike,
I loved Sony before getting the 995ES and thought all the JVC hype was just that - exaggeration by biased reviewers and dealers. I learned the hard way that JVC builds a much better projector… I think at all price points, largely because of the Sony panel issue.

On another note, is your Stewart screen retractable or fixed? My Grayhawk G4 is on a motorized Luxus frame. Unfortunately, Stewart shipped it with a less than perfectly uniform roller and it has several horizontal lines.
EDIT: Stewart Customer Service is great - they are taking care of me, even though the screen is 4 years old. Highly recommend Stewart - great company.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Hi Mike,
I loved Sony before getting the 995ES and thought all the JVC hype was just that - exaggeration by biased reviewers and dealers. I learned the hard way that JVC builds a much better projector… I think at all price points, largely because of the Sony panel issue.

On another note, is your Stewart screen retractable or fixed? My Grayhawk G4 is on a motorized Luxus frame. Unfortunately, Stewart shipped it with a less than perfectly uniform roller and it has several horizontal lines.
my Stewart screen is fixed. i did also own a Stewart retractable screen years ago and it was also not altogether a positive experience.

here are pictures of my Home Theater room. i use the Trinnov Altitude 16 and a 9.3.6 Dolby Atmos speaker system.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zeotrope

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
my Stewart screen is fixed. i did also own a Stewart retractable screen years ago and it was also not altogether a positive experience.

here are pictures of my Home Theater room. i use the Trinnov Altitude 16 and a 9.3.6 Dolby Atmos speaker system.
Interesting. My media room is mixed use: music and movies, so I need a retractable screen for the best 2 channel imaging. I’ll try to leave my screen down all the time and only up when I’m listening to music, as it should help reduce the lines? The roller has a raised portion, and when the screen rolls over it, it leaves a line…

I also use a Trinnov Altitude 32 and it’s fantastic.

Ah, you also have Funk subs, nice! I have a custom dual Elite on order… long lead-time…

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Interesting. My media room is mixed use: music and movies, so I need a retractable screen for the best 2 channel imaging. I’ll try to leave my screen down all the time and only up when I’m listening to music, as it should help reduce the lines? The roller has a raised portion, and when the screen rolls over it, it leaves a line…
sounds frustrating.
I also use a Trinnov Altitude 32 and it’s fantastic.
remarkable sound. agree. and i have only a cowboy set-up so far.
Ah, you also have Funk subs, nice! I have a custom dual Elite on order… long lead-time…
Nathan was great to work with and the finish quality is tip top. my wife likes how the big brutes look. waited 4 months for my 18.0's. that dual Elite is a force of nature. congrats. my -3- 18.0's are in my main home near my kitchen/family room where my wife dwells, so i can't really get crazy with it.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
sounds frustrating.

remarkable sound. agree. and i have only a cowboy set-up so far.

Nathan was great to work with and the finish quality is tip top. my wife likes how the big brutes look. waited 4 months for my 18.0's. that dual Elite is a force of nature. congrats. my -3- 18.0's are in my main home near my kitchen/family room where my wife dwells, so i can't really get crazy with it.
I can attest to that last part! Not sure what my wife will say when the Elite arrives… my room has no door…
I only have the floor space for a 12” driver. Nathan’s willingness to customize is great and unprecedented (I think): he’s stacking two 12” in an Elite enclosure. Ideally, I would have more than one sub location, but this should be the next best… there is a transmission line sub as part of the main L/R horns.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

henrich3

Jun 7, 2022
Scottsdale, AZ
Is there anyone else interested in discussing top-tier projectors here? I own a JVC NX9 and about to install a JVC NZ9.
I have an RS4100, which is essentially the same as the NZ9. I'm very happy with the image quality, especially after having it & my Radiance Pro calibrated (3D LUT). The only minor issue on this model that might make me want to upgrade down the road is that the black levels aren't perfect. Excellent, but not perfect. This pj can provide true black on full fade to black images using laser dimming mode 3, but the laser remains on when there are images with any bright areas. It should be noted when I criticize the 4100's imperfect blacks that mine is configured to use high laser & open aperture for both UHD and 3D content. I also have a high gain screen, so my configuration is pretty much a worst case scenario for black levels. Closing down the aperture would lower the black level & raise the contrast. I like bright images however, so I'm willing to raise the black levels a bit to achieve that brightness. YMMV.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Nice! I just installed the 25LTD which is essentially the same as the 4100/NZ9. I also have an NX9. JVC makes the best projectors today. Other than certain Christie models, there’s nothing better for the home (I used to be a ‘Sony man’ - no longer).
You definitely need High Laser for HDR, especially with the light output reduction from the color filter.
The lens in the “9” series is stunning - very very sharp, especially if you use a lot of lens shift.
Have you installed the latest firmware (2.0)? There were improvements made to laser dimming.
Question about the aperture - if you close it down manually, it will still close down further if auto dimming (“Dynamic CTRL”) is on, correct?

Your screen gain is 2.4, is that correct? Given that your screen size is not that big, and you have 3000 lumens at your disposal, you should consider getting a 1.0 gain screen. I have a 0.9 gain Stewart Grayhawk and blacks are stunning - they look totally black. My room is light controlled, but the walls are off-white.

Reactions: henrich3

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Moved the discussion here because AVSForum was getting really annoying with discussions on how “jitter is nonsense” and “digital is 1 and 0 and no cable, etc. will make a difference”. I find it super interesting, psychologically, when you spend ~$20k on a component yet refuse to even consider that a $2k source component will have better performance than a $500 source component (referring to the Apple TV “X” vs a regular ATV).
This must have been akin to a discussion about the curvature of the Earth in the time of Columbus…

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Is there anyone else interested in discussing top-tier projectors here? I own a JVC NX9 and about to install a JVC NZ9.
i have a JVC RS4500 with a Radiance Pro and Paladin DCR lens with a 2:35-1 Studiotek 100 2:35 screen. calibrated by Kris Deering. have a Trinnov 9.3.6 surround system. w/3 Funk 18.0 subs.

the 4500 is now 5-6 years old, but i only have around 150 hours on it. still kicks ass. i don't use it enough to think about upgrading it. when i'm in the mood for serious home theater it delivers. my 2 channel room gets my full attention, and have an 85" 8k TV in the loft above my 2 channel room for sports watching so the HT is not a main watching spot.

i don't pay close attention about projectors over the years unless i'm thinking about an upgrade. which i'm not. agree JVC seems to have their act together with the least issues. my 4500 is a big heavy beast, it's mounted in a closet, and i have a fan system to keep it cool.

Last edited:
Reactions: henrich3

henrich3

Jun 7, 2022
Scottsdale, AZ
Nice! I just installed the 25LTD which is essentially the same as the 4100/NZ9. I also have an NX9. JVC makes the best projectors today. Other than certain Christie models, there’s nothing better for the home (I used to be a ‘Sony man’ - no longer).
You definitely need High Laser for HDR, especially with the light output reduction from the color filter.
The lens in the “9” series is stunning - very very sharp, especially if you use a lot of lens shift.
Have you installed the latest firmware (2.0)? There were improvements made to laser dimming.
Question about the aperture - if you close it down manually, it will still close down further if auto dimming (“Dynamic CTRL”) is on, correct?

Your screen gain is 2.4, is that correct? Given that your screen size is not that big, and you have 3000 lumens at your disposal, you should consider getting a 1.0 gain screen. I have a 0.9 gain Stewart Grayhawk and blacks are stunning - they look totally black. My room is light controlled, but the walls are off-white.
I did upgrade the firmware to 2.0. Laser dimming mode 3 was added with that fw version, and the other two LD modes have picture quality issues.

I agree about high laser for HDR content. (My pj is calibrated with the color filter in place.) The increased fan noise in high laser mode can be bothersome, but I have my pj set back in a cubby which lowers the noise level.

The aperture in these models is manual. I liked the auto iris in my RS600, but unfortunately that feature's gone.

I'm very happy with my high gain screen. The gain is 2.4 if you wear the pj as a hat, but the further off axis that you get, the lower the gain. (Glass-beaded screens send light back to the light source.) I get around 2.0 gain with my setup. HDR and 3D content really benefit from a high gain screen, so I'm in no rush to replace it.

Let us know how you like your 25LTD. I'm sure that you'll be very pleased!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing