top notch 4k projector

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I did upgrade the firmware to 2.0. Laser dimming mode 3 was added with that fw version, and the other two LD modes have picture quality issues.

I agree about high laser for HDR content. (My pj is calibrated with the color filter in place.) The increased fan noise in high laser mode can be bothersome, but I have my pj set back in a cubby which lowers the noise level.

The aperture in these models is manual. I liked the auto iris in my RS600, but unfortunately that feature's gone.

I'm very happy with my high gain screen. The gain is 2.4 if you wear the pj as a hat, but the further off axis that you get, the lower the gain. (Glass-beaded screens send light back to the light source.) I get around 2.0 gain with my setup. HDR and 3D content really benefit from a high gain screen, so I'm in no rush to replace it.

Let us know how you like your 25LTD. I'm sure that you'll be very pleased!
Thanks, a lot to learn here…
Do you like Laser Dimming Mode 3 best?
I will also use High Laser for HDR with the Wide Color Filter. There’s a wider color gamut in HDR for a reason, might as well try to see as much of it as possible.
I also have a Lumagen which outputs in SDR always, so it does the tone mapping.

henrich3

Jun 7, 2022
Scottsdale, AZ
Manni01 gave an excellent in-depth analysis of the laser dimming modes here -> (link).

My Radiance Pro was calibrated to output SDR for HDR content with my RS600 because that model didn't handle HDR very well, at least with the original fw. Since the new JVCs handle HDR in a more linear way, my RP has been calibrated to output HDR as HDR. Of course tone mapping done in the RP is better than what one can do in the JVC, but my calibrator didn't see a need to output HDR as SDR.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Manni01 gave an excellent in-depth analysis of the laser dimming modes here -> (link).

My Radiance Pro was calibrated to output SDR for HDR content with my RS600 because that model didn't handle HDR very well, at least with the original fw. Since the new JVCs handle HDR in a more linear way, my RP has been calibrated to output HDR as HDR. Of course tone mapping done in the RP is better than what one can do in the JVC, but my calibrator didn't see a need to output HDR as SDR.
The Lumagen is still better at tone mapping, confirmed by Kris D. Unfortunately, some calibrators don’t have much experience with the Lumagen; not the more recent firmware that significantly improved DTM anyway. My calibrator was the same, preferring not to use the Lumagen for DTM. He was wrong. It’s easy enough to switch back; if you’re interested I can provide the steps.

henrich3

Jun 7, 2022
Scottsdale, AZ
Note that just because my RP is outputting HDR as HDR, that doesn't mean that the tone mapping isn't being optimized in my RP. It very much is. My calibrator, Craig Rounds, has extensive experience with Lumagen products, and he's done all my calibrations, including Lumagen video processors, since 2005. Craig spent 9 hours calibrating (ColorSpace) my RS4100 & Radiance Pro for SDR, HDR, and 3D. The image quality is every mode is superb, my quibble about the JVC's not quite perfect black levels aside.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I missed that you’re still doing tone mapping in the Lumagen, sorry.
I don’t know what difference it makes to output HDR as HDR or as SDR from the Lumagen, since it’s not real HDR anyway.
Do you recall what reasons Craig gave to choose HDR output? My calibrator, who is ISF Certified and a JVC dealer, is coming in a few weeks and will let him know. He’s not a Lumagen expert, but knows everything else as good as anyone.

henrich3

Jun 7, 2022
Scottsdale, AZ
Back in olden days when my RS600 was new & dinosaurs roamed the earth, HDR was new, the JVC didn't handle tone mapping very well, and Craig was able to get a better calibration by outputting SDR to the pj. JVC's new projectors tone map HDR better however and recent versions of calibration tools (eg. ColourSpace) are able to deliver highly accurate results using the Radiance Pro (3D LUT) without remapping HDR to SDR. My calibrator may have been able to get comparable results outputting SDR from the RP, but there's no need to do that anymore.

https://www.lightillusion.com/hdr_calibration.html

henrich3

Jun 7, 2022
Scottsdale, AZ
My calibrator, who is ISF Certified and a JVC dealer, is coming in a few weeks and will let him know. He’s not a Lumagen expert, but knows everything else as good as anyone.
Craig Rounds lives in Chicago but travels the country if you're interested -
https://www.cir-engineering.com/contact/

Craig has been calibrating Lumagen video processors for many, many years. He works closely with Lumagen and JVC. (Craig is a Lumagen dealer.) He uses high end meters & calibration software. He also owns an NZ9. If you're interested in hiring a master calibrator who knows both the RP and NZ9 inside & out, you might want to contact him about your calibration. I have no doubt that the results he can deliver far exceed what most calibrators can accomplish.

Last edited:

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Back in olden days when my RS600 was new & dinosaurs roamed the earth, HDR was new, the JVC didn't handle tone mapping very well, and Craig was able to get a better calibration by outputting SDR to the pj. JVC's new projectors tone map HDR better however and recent versions of calibration tools (eg. ColourSpace) are able to deliver highly accurate results using the Radiance Pro (3D LUT) without remapping HDR to SDR. My calibrator may have been able to get comparable results outputting SDR from the RP, but there's no need to do that anymore.

https://www.lightillusion.com/hdr_calibration.html
Thanks for the links.
A lot of what Manni01 says doesn't make sense; but it was informative to read his deep dive on the Laser dimming options nevertheless.

Regarding HDR output into the JVC - I don't think it makes a difference if you are using the Lumagen for tone-mapping. These projectors are not displaying true HDR anyway (they are not bright enough), so we are watching SDR regardless of what the projector thinks it's getting.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Personally, I am not using laser dimming at all. I have a small screen with gain <1 and with a light controlled room there is sufficient contrast. All 3 modes are reducing contrast, it's not hard to detect the fluctuations as it changes the laser output level.
I'm a bit surprised that JVC removed the auto iris for the laser models.

henrich3

Jun 7, 2022
Scottsdale, AZ
I miss the auto iris. That part had failed on my RS600, which was what motivated me to upgrade to the RS4100. Perhaps the failure rate of that part & the high expense of replacing it had something to do with JVC's decision to just rely on laser dimming to achieve a high contrast ratio.

Here's Kris Deering's review of the NZ9, if you haven't already read it -
JVC DLA-NZ9 review

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Thanks, yes, I have read it. I agree it will make the Z series more reliable (although mine is still working after 2 years on the NX9). I don't think I will use laser dimming at all - none of the 3 modes seem to be better than not using it at all and closing the manual iris. What do you do in this regard?

henrich3

Jun 7, 2022
Scottsdale, AZ
HDR & 3D:
High laser, open aperture (0), LD mode 3
2D SDR:
High laser, aperture -8, LD mode 3

Regarding the LD modes, my high gain screen benefits from the improved FFTB that LD mode 3 provides. With your low gain screen, I can see why you might prefer to leave it off, especially if you also close down the aperture a bit.

The contrast ratio improves dramatically as you close down the aperture, as noted in the test bench chart in Deering's NZ9 review. If I pause a scene like the beginning of Lucy where Lucy's boyfriend is trying to convince her to deliver the package and then slowly close down the aperture, I find that even though the black level is dropping I miss the loss of brightness more than I enjoy the improved black level. While there are low APL movie scenes like a planet & stars against a black outer space background that would benefit from a more closed down aperture, I prefer the higher brightness of an open aperture in most other scenes. Personal preference.

Reactions: Zeotrope

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing