Totaldac Amp-1 poweramp debuted at Munich Hi-end 2019

I would like to open a thread on the new Totaldac Amp-1 poweramp on the WBF Amp/Preamp Forum.

Here is its specifications and pricings :
http://www.totaldac.com/amp-1-en.htm

The Amp-1 was debuted at the Munich Hi-end 2019 held earlier this month :
https://www.monoandstereo.com/2019/05/totaldac-world-premiere-of-amp-1.html#more

Despite Amp-1 is the first poweramp of Totaldac, it has received many praises, from both Munich show visitors & reviews/media.
There were 3 sets of Magico M6 loudspeaker at the Munich 2019, paired up with diff amps. Many of the show visitors opined that the M6 driven by Amp-1 gave the best/most musical/most enjoyable performance.

Here is one of the praising professional reviews :
https://www.audiostream.com/content/high-end-munich-2019-totaldac-brings-totalpower-dac-line

I very much hope that the HK Totaldac dealer will get an Amp-1 for demo very soon.
I have full confidence in its performance.
Also, the pricing of Amp-1 is reasonable, considering that its performance is on par with flagship poweramps of other brands which can be 2 or 3 times more expensive!
:D totaldac_amp-1_front.jpg

Last edited:
Just for clarification:
What are the differences between the d1-driver (gain 1) and a preamp of similar quality.
I know that d1-driver has no volume control and no multiple Inputs.
Thanks

Matt

Just for clarification:
What are the differences between the d1-driver (gain 1) and a preamp of similar quality.
I know that d1-driver has no volume control and no multiple Inputs.

The design of the d1-driver was a complete focus on its buffer stage, when many preamps focus first on the volume control first, with versatility of several kinds, the high gain being one of them. Each part in a preamp adds its own sound, even the relays and wires, and at the end you can hear many different added sounds, making it more difficult to listen to.

The d1-driver was designed to prevent the electrical feedback of the speaker from entering back into the DAC. That's the key point. This give the feeling of high control, at all frequencies, not only in bass.

It was also designed to have an almost unmeasurable low noise, which would have been much more difficult, if not impossible, with a traditional preamp. So when you set the DAC volume to maximum the noise in the speaker doesn't increase. It stays as low as when listening to very low level. This gives the required dynamic for symphonic music for example.

The design of the d1-driver was a complete focus on its buffer stage, when many preamps focus first on the volume control first, with versatility of several kinds, the high gain being one of them. Each part in a preamp adds its own sound, even the relays and wires, and at the end you can hear many different added sounds, making it more difficult to listen to.
The d1-driver was designed to prevent the electrical feedback of the speaker from entering back into the DAC. That's the key point. This give the feeling of high control, at all frequencies, not only in bass.
It was also designed to have an almost unmeasurable low noise, which would have been much more difficult, if not impossible, with a traditional preamp. So when you set the DAC volume to maximum the noise in the speaker doesn't increase. It stays as low as when listening to very low level. This gives the required dynamic for symphonic music for example.

This sounds good, but what shall I do when I need hardware volume control?
Thanks

Matt

This sounds good, but what shall I do when I need hardware volume control?
Thanks

Matt

The d1-driver is made first for DACs having a good volume control.
All Totaldac DACs have such a volume control.
It is has also been tested several times with success with a MSB Select.

The Amp-1 amplifier has 2 inputs in option. So you can connect the d1-driver at one input, and a turntable + traditional preamp at the other input.
This way you have a traditional turntable system one side, and an optimized digital system the other side.

Reactions: CKKeung
Thanks,
do you have experiences with Audirvana VC with d1-driver?
Thanks

Matt

Not specific experience, but I met Damien last weekend, he said he uses very good algorythm. Then it depends also on the small signal capability of your DAC.

Not specific experience, but I met Damien last weekend, he said he uses very good algorythm. Then it depends also on the small signal capability of your DAC.

The problem I see is that I use 99dB sensitivity speakers. So software VC operates with much attenuation where it is lossy.

Matt

The problem I see is that I use 99dB sensitivity speakers. So software VC operates with much attenuation where it is lossy.

Matt

With 99dB it would be better to use amplifier with moderate gain and a DAC without too much output voltage.

I use 97dB speakers (d150-anniversary), with the Amp-1 amplifier having a 28dB gain, and it works great with the d1-twelve-mk2 (1.6Vrms output). The dynamic is unique, and no noise.

Reactions: Hieukm and CKKeung
Hi,
I completely agree with the comments above, on the sidelines of everything I heard as music at the Hifideluxe
and at the high-end, the full Totaldac system on the Magico was very significant compared to the other proposals on these speakers,
with undoubtedly more intentions, involvment in the restitution proposed by Vincent and the chills of listening that goes with it !

I am now very much looking forward to having the opportunity to listen this in more favorable conditions, especially the Amp-1...
in my own system... one of these days... hopes, high hopes !

Nice job.
be in music
I was in Munich too.
The AMP1 is fabulous. I never listened the Magico like this...Very very musical.

Reactions: SCAudiophile
Yes really, and I share that opinion having gone to Munich just to listen and absorb.

The TotalDAC amp was impressive and very musical...the TotalDAC Twelve Mk2 while not ultimately what I prefer (Esoteric or Wadax)
was very good and analog-like in its presentation at least as that room was setup.

The room was pleasing to listen to music in and had a lot of positive attributes. I preferred it too the MSB room, CH Precision and several other biggies, hands-down.

Also loved the sound of the new Esoteric P1X, D1X with C1 and M1 together with SF Amati speakers; good speakers but not their Aidas or anything bigger,...really let the quality of the D->A stack shine through...

Then there was the Wadax Stack, Engstrom pre-amp, amps and Goebel Divin Noblesse room that I thought was one of the top 3 rooms at the show.
Total agree with you.
As you, I preferred it too the MSB room, CH Precision and several other....

Reactions: SCAudiophile

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing