Totaldac D1-Direct dac and D1-Driver amp driver have arrived in Hong Kong

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Totaldac DACs have all along been one of my favorite DAC brands.
Particularly the Totaldac D1-Twelve Mk2, it's amongst the best three DACs I have ever auditioned.
As a result I have high expectation on the D1-Drive DAC which, according to Vincent of Totaldac, has retained most of the strong areas/performance of the Twelve Mk2.

Volent HK, the Totaldac dealer in Hong Kong has just received a D1-Drect DAC and a D1-Driver for demo yesterday (Sat 8th Dec).

Here is the two photos of the D1-Driver :

IMG-20181208-WA0044.jpg IMG-20181208-WA0045.jpg

What is D1- Driver amp driver?
Please read : http://www.totaldac.com/D1-driver-en.htm
I guess it's like an active/buffer stage. Vincent of Totaldac advocates using the digital volume of his DACs together with D1-Drive to achieve the best performance.

Personally digital volume in the past was not my cup of tea.
And it so happens that Volent HK also carries Bespoke Audio passive preamps and Nagra active preamps and both of them are very good.
I will do comparison of D1-Driver vs these preamps very soon.

But of course the first thing to do is to ask Volent HK to burn-in these two just-arrived Totaldacs. There are very big capacitors inside the D1-Driver and they must need some serious boiling!
;)

Last edited:

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
Hi CKKeug,
Oh my great source combo!... For now I continue to use with great happiness the analog volume of my ABSOLARE Integrated, meanwhile
the next arrival (?) of the latest classA HOLTON stereo amp, It will be time to re-used the TOTALDAC 64Bits volume control that I used for a long time with my ex-845 amps. I have the intuition that my d1-driver can really change the game !

that's nothing and all.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Nice! I'm curious how the Bespoke silver TVC compares to your Bent AVC too. I presume the AVC is copper? In any event, the last time I checked specs, the Total DACs looked like ideal sources for passive line stages, so I'm curious if the Drive is going to be adding a different flavor more than anything vs your passives.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Nice! I'm curious how the Bespoke silver TVC compares to your Bent AVC too. I presume the AVC is copper? In any event, the last time I checked specs, the Total DACs looked like ideal sources for passive line stages, so I'm curious if the Drive is going to be adding a different flavor more than anything vs your passives.

Hello Brazilio,
Yes, my Bent Audio AVC contains 4 copper autoformers.
I have not heard the Bent Audio silver version but do have experience on silver version of Emia passive preamps which employ silver Slagleformers made by Dave Slagle.
The silver Slagleformer is awesome!
It's many times better than the copper version in all aspects.

However, if comparing copper to copper and silver to silver, I still prefer the versions of Bespoke Audio.

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
Hi, for what I personally feel, the d1-Driver does not remove, nor add anything with the same tonal balance... just a better articulation of all registers for a stronger incarnation of the musical message!... transparency and presence +++ ! the message can be even more dense, intense.

As an example, I believe that in his official US showroom, Alon Wolf (MAGICO ) has replaced its CH precison L1 Dual Monaural Line Preamplifier with a pair TOTALAC Pre amp, d1-driver which augurs of some nice performances!

That's nothing and all.
Be well in music
Bruno

Reactions: CKKeung

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hi, for what I personally feel, the d1-Driver does not remove, nor add anything with the same tonal balance... just a better articulation of all registers for a stronger incarnation of the musical message!... transparency and presence +++ ! the message can be even more dense, intense.
As an example, I believe that in his official US showroom, Alon Wolf (MAGICO ) has replaced its CH precison L1 Dual Monaural Line Preamplifier with a pair TOTALAC Pre amp, d1-driver which augurs of some nice performances!
Bruno

I went to Volent HK yesterday for a brief listen.
Although both the D1-Direct and D1-Driver had received only about 10+ hours of burn-in, this Totaldac combo gave me an impression of Bruno's view on them.
Both are really something!

I shall do a serious audition again after they have fully burned-in.
BTW when comparing D1-Direct vs Twelve Mk2, we shall not forget to pair a Reclocker with the D1-Direct because Reclocker is an integral part of Twelve Mk2. We have to be fair.
;)

D1-Driver on the left side ; D1-Direct DAC on the right side :
20181210_200319_2.jpg

Reactions: lordcloud

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
Cool CKKeug, good first contact ... personnaly, I could say that my full optimized combo d1-Server/direct/driver is, at least, as well as a d1-server/ twelve MK1 (in some ways, probably even better) but... there is, now, a new great step with the MK2 !

Reactions: CKKeung

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
very simple Paul, for the moment (7 years !) no internet connection on my music network, only local reading on a fanless QNAP NAS (SSD 2X1To) with a linear power supply. The WIFI network is made by a Belkin Dualband switch also on linear power supply. All linked by strings RJ45 Totaldac.

And here we go.

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
"AudioStream Editor’s Choice Components $2,500 and Over" has just been released, with this comment about the d1-direct DAC:

"Brient has unleashed a music monster. What does this mean? It means it makes music sound like real people playing real instruments between the speakers in front of me. Few DACs at this price point or beyond have the ability to suspend disbelief while listening with your eyes closed like Brient’s upper-echelon designs do.
Unpretentious, utterly effortless and imbued with flesh-and-blood tangibility to timbre and tone with transient speed that makes every note vibrate at the frequency of real life, the d1-direct will transport you to when the music was made."

https://www.audiostream.com/content/audiostream-editor’s-choice-components-2500-and-over

Reactions: geodiak

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
strange... i agree, everyday.

Reactions: Samsoum

Samsoum

Sep 9, 2018
strange... i agree, everyday.
Hi, BF38
I found a great deal on ttldc12 mk1, should I go for it or go for a d1direct?
I own a d1 server that I m planning to sell in order to buy the twelve full combo.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hi, BF38
I found a great deal on ttldc12 mk1, should I go for it or go for a d1direct?
I own a d1 server that I m planning to sell in order to buy the twelve full combo.

Twelve mk1 of course!
It has 2x resistor-arrays than the Direct!
And Vincent can upgrade it to mk2 for you anytime in future.

Samsoum

Sep 9, 2018
Twelve mk1 of course!
It has 2x resistor-arrays than the Direct!
And Vincent can upgrade it to mk2 for you anytime in future.
Thks again ckkeung!
I m crossing my fingers now , trying to soon finalise the deal!
Have you listened again to direct+ d1 drive?
What s your thoughts?
I m so anxious on putting so much money on a dac only but then I say it should bring me lifetime enjoyment I guess!

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Thks again ckkeung!
I m crossing my fingers now , trying to soon finalise the deal!
Have you listened again to direct+ d1 drive?
What s your thoughts?
I m so anxious on putting so much money on a dac only but then I say it should bring me lifetime enjoyment I guess!

Not yet because too busy at work these 2 work.
Hope to listen to it again on Mon or Tues.

I am sure you will not be disappointed!
But lifetime? Haha
Totaldac must have something newer and better in future.

Samsoum

Sep 9, 2018
Not yet because too busy at work these 2 work.
Hope to listen to it again on Mon or Tues.

I am sure you will not be disappointed!
But lifetime? Haha
Totaldac must have something newer and better in future.
I know what you mean, but if I own the 12, I will still have 2 upgrades in the future. Mk2 and drive.
And honestly , i will stick with it for at least 5 years.
I heard many good dacs in my system lately, including qutest, hugo1,dave, oppo sonica,and finally terminator wich still here.
Each have it s strength and weaknesses but
The last is the best overall Imho and wonder how 12 can outperform it?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I know what you mean, but if I own the 12, I will still have 2 upgrades in the future. Mk2 and drive.
And honestly , i will stick with it for at least 5 years.
I heard many good dacs in my system lately, including qutest, hugo1,dave, oppo sonica,and finally terminator wich still here.
Each have it s strength and weaknesses but
The last is the best overall Imho and wonder how 12 can outperform it?

Yes, 5 years is more realistic. :)

Denafrips Terminator is a giant-killer but Twelve is several leagues above it.
No worry.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing