Totaldac Direct vs Totaldac 7? What are sonic differences? What are technical differences for one to choose one model over another?

caesar

May 30, 2010
What are sonic differences between these 2 models?

What are technical differences for one to choose one model over another?

Also, confused about the Totaldac server vs. reclocker. Under what circumstances should one get one over the other?

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
Hi ceasar,
from my point of view, there are 2 Musically distinct ranges in Totaldac offer, one with output stage and another without ... the d1-seven is the THDG with output stage and the d1-direct, the first of the other, a kind of one-box d1-twelve ! And to be passed, last year from this Seven to the Direct my feeling is that the musical message is expressed with more freedom feeling, more humanity, we are getting even closer to the intentions musicians, even more incarnate ! Technically, I find more harmonic depth, fluidity & articulation, certainly more transparency. In the other side, the strong point of the d1-seven is its versatility what ever the system and a nice feeling of macro-dynamics.

Personally, I much prefer the d1-direct, on my system, I dive more and more easily into music.
Here for my personal feelings

It's nothing and it's all.
be in music.

PS : about the d1- server & the Reclocker, it's easy, the server (now Streamer) is a reclocker with an embedded network card.
here a review of the d1-streamer :
https://twitteringmachines.com/review-totaldac-d1-streamer/

Last edited:
Reactions: CKKeung

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Agree with BF38 completely!

Totaldac Seven has an improved output stage and excels in macrodynamics.

However I think that the Twelve and the Direct have magic because of their omission of the output stage.
Their transparency, agility and realness surpass other Totaldac models significantly.

BTW the Totaldac Reclocker can be easily ignored but it is integrated into the Twelve DAC and contributes to the greatness of Twelve.
All non-TwelveTotaldac users should consider adding a Reclocker as upgrade.
For example, adding a Reclocker to the Direct will make it performs much closer to the Twelve.
;)

Last edited:

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
Right, CKKeung... sometimes forgotten because often integrated, the Totaldac reclocker is a masterpiece and not only on a Totaldac source system and now, i think that the new Live Power line is also clearly signifiniant for the musical soul !

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Right, CKKeung... sometimes forgotten because often integrated, the Totaldac reclocker is a masterpiece and not only on a Totaldac source system and now, i think that the new Live Power line is also clearly signifiniant for the musical soul !
Hello BF38,
You have upgraded to the new Live Power transformers?
Pls share with us its effect.
Thanks!

Reactions: Taiko Audio

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
Not Already for me but some friends, yes!... with the same nice feeling.
i'm now waiting for mine, a Live Power with 3 outputs to feed d1-server (double alim) and d1-direct.

I'll share my feeling in a few weeks !

Last edited:

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
If you were going to upgrade one (either d1direct or reclocker) to the Live Power supply, which one would benefit the most?

Vincent: do you have a view on the relative benefits of where to put the Live Power first?

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
that is the question.

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
In the other side, here, do we really need to know that before buying?....if as i imagine this new Live Power is compatible with all Totaldac devices (server, reclocker, dac), you just need to buy one, try it on every item and leave it on the top best sound combination and hop !

sometimes life is complicated and sometimes not !

Be in music

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
In the other side, here, do we really need to know that before buying?....if as i imagine this new Live Power is compatible with all Totaldac devices (server, reclocker, dac), you just need to buy one, try it on every item and leave it on the top best sound combination and hop !

sometimes life is complicated and sometimes not !

Be in music

unless 1+1 = 3, in which case having just one power supply upgraded would be decidedly sub-optimal.

:)

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
AAArrrgh, it's a terrific news, you kill me mister Cat6man !

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
Hi,
visual update of my définitive triumvirate source, d1-player, server & direct which can also evaluate itself
in a quartet if we integrate the d1-driver (the d1 box under the player box) !

I am reasonable, I would book the d1-twelve for when I would be an big good boy!

It's nothing and all
be in music

IMG_1893 1.jpg IMG_1894 1.jpg

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
Mine too... the couple d1-direct / driver is just amazing !

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
See here, the d1-driver was used here and got "best sound" for this show:)

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...e-crème-de-la-crème.27433/page-61#post-600245

Reactions: paul79 and CKKeung

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing