Totaldac Reference D1

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
I have a question regarding d1-driver, is there an audible difference in using let's say a Twelve mk2 with d1-driver and going direct to CH M1.1 stereo amp as opposed to using CH L1+X1 in the chain instead of the d1-driver ?
Other example d1-direct driving Gryphon Mephisto stereo instead of the matching Pandora preamp .
Thanks.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
d1-driver not d1-direct sorry.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Thieliste,
The d1-driver can help to drive a power amp, but also to drive a preamp, or an integrated amp.

Hello Vincent, i don't see any reason of using a d1-driver with an active preamp such as CH L1, Gryphon Pandora or even an integrated.

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Hello Vincent, i don't see any reason of using a d1-driver with an active preamp such as CH L1, Gryphon Pandora or even an integrated.

I tried, with the Absolare Integrated amplifier (which has a true preamp built in) or with the Plinius Reference M10 that I don't need anymore. Consider that the d1-driver is a super DAC output stage, or a super preamp, or both... just a transparent buffer which protects the DAC from the speaker induced electricity, like a one-way-only wire.

jonyung

Sep 22, 2014
Vincent

Regarding Totaldac 12 Mk2 + D1 Driver, how does one decide whether to choose voltage gain: " 0dB gain (x1 factor) or 10dB gain (x3 factor), chosen on order " ?

If one uses Totaldac 12 Mk 2 with D1 Driver, does that obviate the need for the "class A discrete transistor output stage, selected by a switch " or can they both be used at the same time?

Whats the differences in sound?

Thanks

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Vincent

Regarding Totaldac 12 Mk2 + D1 Driver, how does one decide whether to choose voltage gain: " 0dB gain (x1 factor) or 10dB gain (x3 factor), chosen on order " ?

If one uses Totaldac 12 Mk 2 with D1 Driver, does that obviate the need for the "class A discrete transistor output stage, selected by a switch " or can they both be used at the same time?

Whats the differences in sound?

Thanks

Jonyung,
You can connect the d1-driver to the d1-twelve-mk2 buffered output or to the unbuffered output. In many situations the unbuffered output connected to the d1-driver will be the best.

Choosing a d1-direct with 0dB gain or 10dB gain depends mostly on the gain or your amplifier (26dB or 32dB for example) and also a bit on the speaker efficiency. I can also make a d1-driver with a switch to chose 0dB or 10db gain but the sound is the best possible when fixing the gain when it is built.

Reactions: justubes

GuillaumeB

VIP/Donor
Mar 10, 2014
UK
www.boyeraudio.com
I tried, with the Absolare Integrated amplifier (which has a true preamp built in) or with the Plinius Reference M10 that I don't need anymore. Consider that the d1-driver is a super DAC output stage, or a super preamp, or both... just a transparent buffer which protects the DAC from the speaker induced electricity, like a one-way-only wire.

I tried the d1-driver with my d1-seven (which has an active output stage) and Absolare Integrated, and the results were phenomenal, and pretty much with all source material. With some poor/laclustre recordings it really helped to punch out and concentrate the image between the speakers, without in any way sounding "forced" or unnatural.

I also got to try it with a Dartzeel NHB 108 (precious gen) loaned to me by a friend and the results were a bit more mixed. Speaking to Vincent about this I think the feeling is that the d1-driver is really designed to partner with a DAC without active output stage.

So rather than change from d1-seven to d1-direct I have decided to hold out a bit longer and go for the d1-twelve mk2. I will then revisit the d1-driver question.

Guillaume

Reactions: CKKeung

paul79

Nov 2, 2014
OK, USA
www.manymoonsaudio.com
D1 Twelve MK2 Day one observations, using the non-buffered output:

I let it warm up for about 5 hours before I listened, and I already like what I am hearing. Put simply, more effortless resolve, more focus, and more real sounding. I can imagine it being tough to improve on the original MK1 Twelve, but I'll be damned if it is not better already.

My next update will be after some time, but already..... wow

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
D1 Twelve MK2 Day one observations, using the non-buffered output:

I let it warm up for about 5 hours before I listened, and I already like what I am hearing. Put simply, more effortless resolve, more focus, and more real sounding. I can imagine it being tough to improve on the original MK1 Twelve, but I'll be damned if it is not better already.

My next update will be after some time, but already..... wow

YES !

paul79

Nov 2, 2014
OK, USA
www.manymoonsaudio.com
More extended evaluation of the MK2:

Weight of notes is realistically weighty. Meat on the bone. Chesty. Round. Strings sound heavy, real. Tonal density realized. The background of this DAC is SOOOOO quiet now. I hear more of the crowd banter in live recordings, more of everything. Blackness, perfect clarity. No more grey at all in the background. Just black. It is at the truly "locked in" level of refinement. It is vinyl quiet.

This is very serious!

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
AAARRGH, Paul, it's not nice to say that... i 'll get it, one day, i'll' get it !
and what a performance to be able to upgrade the best.

Number9

Oct 15, 2018
Hi Paul,

Have you heard any other DAC(s) in your system, or if not can you offer any comparisons by extrapolating? You sound enamored but compared to what? I am very interested to hear your view on this as I am narrowing my choices down. Thank you very much (in advance).

paul79

Nov 2, 2014
OK, USA
www.manymoonsaudio.com
Credibility. I suppose I could attempt to nail down DAC's only in even my many system evolution's.

Being fairly rooted in Analog, I started small in digital. Turntables, with a good needle, good phono preamp, have a magical way of making most all systems engaging. Never heard a CD player do this, or a DAC for that matter.

I will just say, I played around in allot of under $5K territory in DAC's. Tried a couple DAC's in the $10-15K range. Then I got my first taste of Totaldac. Got in with the D1 Dual. First DAC I heard with no color to the sound. It sounded like neutral music, and everything around it mattered more. Microscope to the rest of the system if you will. NOS DAC then meant to me, "no color". Discrete DAC then meant to me "no annoying artifacts". I can now hear, the rest of my system.

This was the bait that got me hooked. I knew then, given my systems capabilities at the time, I had to have the best one of these to build around.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: geodiak

paul79

Nov 2, 2014
OK, USA
www.manymoonsaudio.com
I have it nailed now.
The MK2 is quite a bit more transparent, like NO noise floor in the signal, image density, weight, tons of weight, and perfect bass. Grew a big set of nuts. I can hear the floor of the performance. For lack of a better way to say it, spooky shit. Took a few days to warm up all the way. This is next level.

paul79

Nov 2, 2014
OK, USA
www.manymoonsaudio.com
My system is like, "This is what a blind person sees". Vinyl quiet digital. That sums it up pretty good.
Conclusion: Congrats to you Vincent, and everyone that has one of these.

Reactions: Thieliste

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
The updated photos of the demo rooms in Totaldac facility are ready!

Magico M6 and Totaldac d150:

A custom 105dB quasi-coaxial horn system:

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing