Totaldac versus Rockna Wavedream?

jfx

Apr 30, 2020
Looks like the Wavelight server is shipping soon..

https://worldwidewholesales.com/product/wavelight-server/

– Roon/MPD/DLNA/Upnp/Airplay/HQPNAA
– webserver / ripping using external usb optical drive
– 8 (12) TB max internal storage (ssd only)
– 2 x USB 2.0, 2 x USB 3.0 (as in/outputs)
– I2S, AES/EBU, Spdif, Optical (as audio outputs)
– Hardware upsampling to DSD256/512 (can be enabled/disabled) for I2S output
– Direct Audio Path (PCIe Audio) ** by software upgrade
– low phase noise internal clocks

Albertporter

Apr 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
www.albertporterphoto.com
Has anyone gotten significant listening time with both of these dacs (any model of the Totaldac, though I'm looking at possibly purchasing the Dual) and can help me out with their thoughts on the differences?

I've read that the Rockna excels in detail and information retrieval but doesn't sound harsh, and that the Totaldacs excel at texture, space, and just sounding like real music.

I'm wanting a DAC that gives me an much of the truth as possible (within budget), and doesn't add much of itself.

Thanks.
I have never had a Totaldac in my system but we did listen to a Rockna furnished by one of the guys in my audio group. I was pleasantly surprised by it’s sound. Definitely in the top two of all the DACs we have tried.
?
My DAC of choice is the Bricasti M1 SE and for me was better than the Rockna. Overall, two listeners thought Rockna was best and four thought Bricasti was winner. Source for test were various files from Aurender W20 connected to DAC via Purist Audio Diamond 30th Anniversary USB. No other connections (SPDIF AES/EBU) were tried because I had previously tested and preferred USB with Bricasti.

Another brand of cable or connection could result in different outcome.

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
My DAC of choice is the Bricasti M1 SE and for me was better than the Rockna.

BTW, did you compare Bricasti M1 to M3?
If yes, what was the outcome?
Thanks

Matt

Jeffy

Apr 27, 2014
Orchard Lake, MI
Albert, I compared the Bricasti SE to the Total Dac. I think the retail at the time was about 17,000.00. The Bricasti was better. I have since replaced the Bricasti to the new model 21 which is even better. I compared my dac to the Nagra tube dac with power supply and the top Nagra Dac. I liked the tube dac better than the more expensive Nagra. I still liked my Bricasti better than both of them. I also heard in my system the MSB dac and power supply, second from the top. I still liked my Bricasti better.

Albertporter

Apr 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
www.albertporterphoto.com
Albert, I compared the Bricasti SE to the Total Dac. I think the retail at the time was about 17,000.00. The Bricasti was better. I have since replaced the Bricasti to the new model 21 which is even better. I compared my dac to the Nagra tube dac with power supply and the top Nagra Dac. I liked the tube dac better than the more expensive Nagra. I still liked my Bricasti better than both of them. I also heard in my system the MSB dac and power supply, second from the top. I still liked my Bricasti better.
Jeffy,

I have not heard the Bricasti 21, nor have I had the Nagra or Total DAC but nice to read that the Bricasti did so well. I think it’s an especially good choice for analog guys like me that don’t want to spend a mint on digital. I want my digital to be good but my main source is LP followed by tape.

I have seen Bricasti used for low price, less than $7K. To me that is a bargain, less than most of the phono cartridges I like.

jfx

Apr 30, 2020
Jeffy,

I have not heard the Bricasti 21, nor have I had the Nagra or Total DAC but nice to read that the Bricasti did so well. I think it’s an especially good choice for analog guys like me that don’t want to spend a mint on digital. I want my digital to be good but my main source is LP followed by tape.

I have seen Bricasti used for low price, less than $7K. To me that is a bargain, less than most of the phono cartridges I like.

Closer to 5K USD for the M1SE recently, but yes it's a great deal second hand.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I'm also a fan of the Bricasti M1 SE. At an audio show last summer, we did A/B the M1SE vs the M3 in the Bricasti room (at my request). For me, the M1 was better: more refined, better sense of space. I also heard the more expensive one ... Is it the M21? That DAC sounded great for DSD, but not much different than the M1SE otherwise. Maybe a bit warmer, if I recall. I can't say I preferred it.

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
I'm also a fan of the Bricasti M1 SE. At an audio show last summer, we did A/B the M1SE vs the M3 in the Bricasti room (at my request). For me, the M1 was better: more refined, better sense of space. I also heard the more expensive one ... Is it the M21? That DAC sounded great for DSD, but not much different than the M1SE otherwise. Maybe a bit warmer, if I recall. I can't say I preferred it.

I think the M1 may be the sweet spot in the Bricasti range.

Most interesting would be as well Bricasti M3 vs. Rockna Wacelight :)

Matt

xcowdoc

Feb 19, 2020
I have owned the Bricasti M1SE. In my system, the Rockna Wavedream Signature fed via I2S HDMI from the Rockna Wavedream NET server is far far superior in most all parameters to the M1SE. My music comes from the 1 TB ssd in the NET. I believe this to be superior to streaming. Just my opinion.

Skanda

May 2, 2020
I have owned the Bricasti M1SE. In my system, the Rockna Wavedream Signature fed via I2S HDMI from the Rockna Wavedream NET server is far far superior in most all parameters to the M1SE. My music comes from the 1 TB ssd in the NET. I believe this to be superior to streaming. Just my opinion.

i would say even without the i2s but that's my r2r bias i guess. the rockna has a richness without sacrificing detail that the bricasti does not (to my ears). i think the rockna by itself is great but the NET really takes it to a different level. They should really market it as a proper stack the way dcs markets their products

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I wonder how much of that is the NET itself vs just the i2s input in general. I'd be curious to know if you've tried other transports that utilize i2s.

xcowdoc

Feb 19, 2020
Before having the Rockna NET, I had a Musica Pristina Acappella which had usb and I2S. This is where I first encountered HDMI I2S. The proprietor of Musica Pristina encouraged me to try I2S. I was using a topnotch usb cable (Curious Cable) at the time. My dac at that time was a PS Audio DirectStream. I tried a generic HDMI cable using I2S from the Musica Pristina. The HDMI I2S was markedly superior to the usb with the Curious Cable. I never went back to usb after hearing I2S.

Reactions: Chris1967

Saleh84

Jul 26, 2019
my NET will ship tomorrow or after. I shall let you know my impressions once its in! Currently still using a laptop/singxer su1 with audioquest diamond hdmi to WD dac.
I think I2s is a better connection generally speaking. But certainly many other factors about the server does play a role, so i can say with full confidence that the NET itself considering its power supplies, isolation and layout design etc does matter a lot. I2s would be the "best" output.

Skanda

May 2, 2020
i run my net into the wavedream se using a wireworld gold aes. i would love to try i2s but have been too busy to sort this out. to be very upfront, i ordered the rockna i2s cable with my net and dac for something less than $200 iirc. the cable was reportedly not being made anymore. instead of supplying me with the right cable or a refund the dealer (who is active on this forum and possibly this thread) tried to upsell me a $900-$1000 dollar i2s cable. i was pretty annoyed about this but decided and politely declined as i was enjoying the sound with the aes - this, i think, says more positive about the rockna sound quality than anything else i could really say.

with a taiko extreme on the way, i've held off on recabling my rig (which would have included a new i2s cable...likely the wire world platinum). i'll make do with usb and if i feel any desire to push the envelope, i'll try a pink faun i2s card in the taiko. now, it's not a given i'll keep the taiko. i'm sure it's amazing but it's alot of money and i already am very much enjoying the net. never underestimate synergy, i'm just going to have to try it myself and find out. if the taiko is only a marginal improvement to my ears and my system, then i will see if i can bridge the gap by switching to i2s.

stay tuned :)

Reactions: Saleh84

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
USB is most often the worst of all choices. What I'm getting at here, though, is gains coming from i2s itself vs the specific transport. For example, if we compared my $200 pi2aes using it's i2s interface to the Rockna to your Wavenet... What would we hear. Confirmation biases are seemingly going to play a role here too.

Last edited:

Skanda

May 2, 2020
USB is most often the worst of all choices. What I'm getting at here, though, is gains coming from i2s itself vs the specific transport. For example, if we compared my $200 pi2aes using it's i2s interface to the Rockna to your Wavenet... What would we hear. Confirmation biases are seemingly going to play a role here too.

i guess i'm getting what you're getting at? so look, i hate usb, i think it's junk esp from a laptop. i'm willing to change my mind/try it because i know rockna spent alot of time on the usb input as did emile with the usb output on the taiko. it's come a long ways. i have a chord hugo2 in house due to a happy accident. my god, i do not miss the days of usb out from laptop esp with osx' garbage catalina update. luckily the server doesnt have these issues.

i had a metrum ambre with the same aes cable into the rockna before. so putting the net in was about as 1-to-1 as you can get in a home environment. the improvement was clear, noticeable, and easily on par with the change from switching amps and well above the change from sliding a torus power isolation conditioner in my rig. maybe that helps give an idea of the magnitude of changes maybe that just makes it more confusing lol.

i'm sure i2s is nice, but see my story above. i can't be bothered. confirmation biases and stuff aside, given the price difference i know i am hoping for massive changes as we're talking new speaker money. if it's marginal then maybe the i2s can make it up. i'm not really dogmatic about inputs. i like aes, always have. things change and in this case i didn't want to spend extra on the taiko aes output esp as i think nobody would care on resale. most of the tiako thread seems to be using usb anyways. on saleh's rec, i did inquire if taiko has i2s. at the moment no, but with expandable pci ports i'm sure it will be an option some day in which case (price dependent) i'll spring for it.

caesar

May 30, 2010
I have heard both Rockna and TotalDac in the same system. Don't remember the details or model numbers, possibly Rockna DreamWeaver and TotalDac 6.

Rockna has a nice warm sound. Guys looking for the lean-clean sound that is popular today among reviewers, who are pushing the flavor of the month, and those who want to hear every detail on the recording instead of the music should stay away from Rockna.

But for those who crave that emotionally wrenching quality from their high end audio listening experience, and enjoy high-efficiency speakers vs. audiophile vocabulary-laden, hard-to-drive box speakers with big SS and Lyra cartridges, TotalDac is a no brainer.

Reactions: Dthagerty@aol.com

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
You talking to me and my 101dB efficient spkrs, Caesar? Lol

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing