Townshend Piano Isolators

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I saw on a piano forum I belong to, that Townshend is also selling a piano isolator system that sits below the three feet of a grand piano. They have some very positive testimonials from some top flight classical pianists about the improvement in the sound of their pianos.

This is a video of British pianist Stephen Hough trying out the isolators. He is very well known and we have heard him perform in London several times. In addition he is a MacArthur "Genius" award winner.

Haven't seen any big concert halls using them yet. They were around 1000 British pounds in the comments, and supposedly around $2000 in the the US. However, I didn't see any prices posted in the Townshend pricelists that are online. Interesting that the piano forum was generally very concerned (leaning toward outrage) about the sky high price for the three isolators which each have to comfortably hold several hundred pounds. I didn't comment on the prices of their Audiophile isolators that hold much less weight. One of the forum members posted an ad for a Mason Vibration Isolation Pad which can hold 800 pounds and cost $14.66 (you do need three for a grand piano, four for an upright.)

Larry

Last edited:

pjwd

Jun 22, 2015
Brisbane
I saw on a piano forum I belong to, that Townshend is also selling a piano isolator system that sits below the three feet of a grand piano. They have some very positive testimonials from some top flight classical pianists about the improvement in the sound of their pianos.

This is a video of British pianist Stephen Hough trying out the isolators. He is very well known and we have heard him perform in London several times. In addition he is a MacArthur "Genius" award winner.

Haven't seen any big concert halls using them yet. They were around 1000 British pounds in the comments, and supposedly around $2000 in the the US. However, I didn't see any prices posted in the Townshend pricelists that are online. Interesting that the piano forum was generally very concerned (leaning toward outrage) about the sky high price for the three isolators which each have to comfortably hold several hundred pounds. I didn't comment on the prices of their Audiophile isolators that hold much less weight. One of the forum members posted an ad for a Mason Vibration Isolation Pad which can hold 800 pounds and cost $14.66 (you do need three for a grand piano, four for an upright.)

Larry
That is an almost laughingly obvious thing to try... I wonder if anything like that has been done before ... very cool !
Look out for the whole orchestra balancing thier kit on ball bearings, air bladders etc. ... plus all the ensuing arguments :)
Thanks for posting
Phil

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I saw Stillpoints had promoted themselves for the same application previously. Clearly will sound very different.

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
AV Room Service EVPs have endorsements from musicians and are used in studios. Makes sense to manage the spurious vibrations when playing/recording as well as when reproducing music.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I used Townsend isolators for my Martin Logans. Sonically at that time I remember being impressed but that could also have been due to increased height of the down firing woofer from the floor. To be specific, his solutions are decoupling from the floor

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing