Tp 016

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Looks like will be getting The Band Stage Fright next Friday. Just got a notice from UPS that the tape is about to be picked up!

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
my TP-016 is on the UPS truck and will be delivered this afternoon. looking forward to it.

Steve,

i think we'd all like to see more 60's/70's Rock among the next titles. Classic Rock is what got many of us into music loving to begin with. i hope it happens.

Mike

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Guess I'm the only one who wants more jazz and classical :) Know TTP doesn't want to do warhorses but how about a 15 ips copy of Kind of Blue (I have a later gen and it absolutely shames the LP)?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Guess I'm the only one who wants more jazz and classical :) Know TTP doesn't want to do warhorses but how about a 15 ips copy of Kind of Blue (I have a later gen and it absolutely shames the LP)?

Myles; i feel the same way as my actual listening is about 40% Jazz and 40% Classical.....10% blues, 10% pop/rock.

OTOH the Rock titles resonate thru the hobby with the most impact and will bring more people into the Tape hobby and expand titles offered in the big picture. and more titles is what is needed to sustain the tape niche of the hobby.

i doubt Sony would ever authorize a 1/4" 15ips of KOB.......although i suppose anything is possible. i also have a (?) generation KOB master dub which betters the 45.....but i'd love one better.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles; i feel the same way as my actual listening is about 40% Jazz and 40% Classical.....10% blues, 10% pop/rock.

i doubt Sony would ever authorize a 1/4" 15ips of KOB.......although i suppose anything is possible. i also have a (?) generation KOB master dub which betters the 45.....but i'd love one better.

Me too but someone like Chad might be able to pull it off.

I really wish they could output more than 10 titles a year-or some of those individuals who have talked about releasing tapes step up to the plate.
As I see it, price is the issue and I think someone would be hard pressed to do a quality job for less than the Tape Project. OTOH, no artwork, nice binder, etc. and that could cut costs.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
OTOH the Rock titles resonate thru the hobby with the most impact and will bring more people into the Tape hobby and expand titles offered in the big picture. and more titles is what is needed to sustain the tape niche of the hobby.

Mike I totally agree. It may only be 10% of what you listen to but I would bet that if you totaled the number of albums you have in pop/rock vs classical there would be more in the former than the latter. IOW you have them but just aren't listening to them.

Give me some of those great rock groups from the 60-80's and you can count on more buying into it. Like Myles and Mike say, if you haven't heard it on tape then you haven't heard it.

mep

Apr 20, 2010

Two things here. One, Sony would absolutely allow a 1/4" 15 ips 2 track release of KOB as long as they could make money from it. 200 copies wouldn't cut it. 5000 would probably get you there. And Mike and Myles, do tell where you got your dubs of KOB. I would like to get one. Send me a PM.

Mark

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I must be the only one that omitted Stage Fright from their subscription. I never liked The Band, which is unusual considering the wide variety of music I listen to.

Albert-I am with you on this. I never cared for The Band either. After I saw that the TP was putting out Stage Fright I went and bought the LP to listen to it to see if it was worthy (IMO) of being put onto tape. The answer was clear to me. But if I had to pick my poisons, I would rather have Stage Fright than the Staples Singers.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Albert-I am with you on this. I never cared for The Band either. After I saw that the TP was putting out Stage Fright I went and bought the LP to listen to it to see if it was worthy (IMO) of being put onto tape. The answer was clear to me. But if I had to pick my poisons, I would rather have Stage Fright than the Staples Singers.

Hello, all,

I recently received my UPS alert as well...the Staples Singers is an awesome tape, imo:D 15 ips, IEC- EQ'd, 1/2 track tape in 1/4" and/or 1/2" format would certainly be welcomed at an attractive price. Curiously, perhaps, I've become aware that I enjoy genres of music that I would not have otherwise, due to the analogue tape medium...it simply sounds so very good that I'm left smiling :D

Vbr,
Sam

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
First Impressions

my TP-016 of Stage Fright arrived by UPS friday afternoon. this afternoon i've taken the time to listen.

i was a fan of 'The Band' back in the day and still am, but i was never that familiar with this album or had listened to it that much. i had a couple of pressings, a recent Capitol reissue and a very clean original pressing with 'RL' (Robert Ludwig) in the deadwax. listening to both recently, the Original is not surprisingly much better.....more clarity, better smoother top end, and more body and decay. before i listened to the tape today i again listened to the original pressing.

On the surface this album is an enjoyable listen, if a bit dark and brooding compared to most Rock.....or even the Band's earlier Lps. But after listening to it a few times recently i have come to really enjoy it and get into it. it is quite well recorded and muscianship is top notch. each cut has it's own vibe. it's not cookie-cutter rock'n roll.....more cerebral in a way....but more rewarding after savoring too.

the original pressing (on the Rockport with Lyra Olympos) is good; but in this case the tape is many levels better. in fact; it's really a whole different experience on tape. the Tape has maybe double the soundstage size, as well as dramatically more clearly rendering each instrument. dynamics and clarity are similarly better. i recall hearing a cut of this at RMAF and for whatever reason i did not have nearly this good an impression then.

this will be a demo tape for me for sure and will be played often.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
my TP-016 of Stage Fright arrived by UPS friday afternoon. this afternoon i've taken the time to listen.

i was a fan of 'The Band' back in the day and still am, but i was never that familiar with this album or had listened to it that much. i had a couple of pressings, a recent Capitol reissue and a very clean original pressing with 'RL' (Robert Ludwig) in the deadwax. listening to both recently, the Original is not surprisingly much better.....more clarity, better smoother top end, and more body and decay. before i listened to the tape today i again listened to the original pressing.

On the surface this album is an enjoyable listen, if a bit dark and brooding compared to most Rock.....or even the Band's earlier Lps. But after listening to it a few times recently i have come to really enjoy it and get into it. it is quite well recorded and muscianship is top notch. each cut has it's own vibe. it's not cookie-cutter rock'n roll.....more cerebral in a way....but more rewarding after savoring too.

the original pressing (on the Rockport with Lyra Olympos) is good; but in this case the tape is many levels better. in fact; it's really a whole different experience on tape. the Tape has maybe double the soundstage size, as well as dramatically more clearly rendering each instrument. dynamics and clarity are similarly better. i recall hearing a cut of this at RMAF and for whatever reason i did not have nearly this good an impression then.

Didn't they also license some other cuts also for this release?

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010

That's excellent, Mike...I really am looking forward to hearing it, now! :D

Vbr,
Sam

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Didn't they also license some other cuts also for this release?

Myles,

over on the tape project forum i had added the note related to your above comment, but when i pasted my comment above i forgot to do that one. good catch!

read below.

added note; the guys added 2 bonus cuts, a Glyn Johns mix of 'Time to Kill' and a Todd Rundgren mix of 'The W.S. Walcott Medicine Show' to the 2nd reel. they both sound good but i did not go back and do any comparison with the original tracks. it was just nice to get 'more stuff' and i appreciate it.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
OK my copy arrived today!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Listening to Reel B of TP16....holy shit you're in for a treat Steve.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Only #106.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing