Trans Rotor Tourbillon

woodrand

Apr 3, 2017
Just got my new Trans Rotor Tourbillon FMD set up... Happy :)

tourbillon.jpg

tourbillon 2.jpg

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Last edited:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Magnets to the platter, not sure what the motor for the under platter is, but it sure is interesting.

I can't tell if there is a relation between his and the video.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I believe there is, a relation, on the magnetic bearings.
_____

https://www.hollandlink.eu/index.php?action=article&aid=2874&lang=EN

"The player of TransRotor Tourbillon FMD vinyl - the operated whirlwind.

200 years ago monsieur Louis Brege created the clockwork of Tourbillon ("whirlwind"). To this day the most exact mechanical clock in the world produces, using its principle of work. In the sentry mekhanizmetourbillon balance - the wheel with a spiral spring and the equalizer - constantly shakes on an axis about balance position. The swing mass of balance compensates the inaccuracy of the course arising because of forces of terrestrial gravitation. This technical invention induced us to develop the Tourbillon player.

The player chassis which leans on metal balls is based upon a massive metal support of "Whirlwind". On the end of an internal axis there is a driving bearing of a disk. Thanks to the small weights the disk statically is also dynamically counterbalanced. It rotates from 3 electric motors, completely disconnected with the driving mechanism. On Tourbillon it is possible to establish up to three 9 inch tonarm. Each device is manufactured manually. At choice the utroystvo with hromirorovanny or gilded metal details is offered."

Key parameters
- Straight line drive
- Support of speeds of 33 and 45 rpm

Last edited:

woodrand

Apr 3, 2017
Yes, it is the same turntable as you can see in NorthStar's youtube movie. Standard version has got acrylic platter and transparent acrylic chassis. Mine is special version in black with 16 kg (35 lb) aluminium platter for even tighter bass. Total weight of turntable is 60 kg (132 lb). It has got three motors with three belts and free magnetic bearing, which menas no contact between platter and bearing. The result is less noise. I'll share some more pics from setup day :)
20170716-DSC_5743_frame.jpg
20170716-DSC_5708_frame.jpg
20170716-DSC_5728_frame.jpg
Woodrand_Tourbillon_03.jpg

Last edited:

woodrand

Apr 3, 2017
And finally - everything set up and ready to do the most important job: play music!
20170716-DSC_5806-4.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Enjoy! Beautiful!

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK
That’s a thing of beauty, hope it sounds as good as it looks mate

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Can we get a music sample? ...Like recording a tune from an album rotating on it, and post it on hi-res download. ...Or even a youtube music video recording.
Hey, better that than flying halfway across the globe.

woodrand

Apr 3, 2017
One of the more attractive TT's for sure.
Thank you, Folsom. I think it is attractive although it is not many Trans Rotor tables around. My Tourbillon is the only one in Scandinavia. Don't know how it is in the US?

woodrand

Apr 3, 2017
That’s a thing of beauty, hope it sounds as good as it looks mate
Thanks! I will write more about the sound later, but first impression is amazing bass response and very black background. I think it sound is really good, although I have a reasonably priced arm and pickup...

Last edited:

woodrand

Apr 3, 2017
Can we get a music sample? ...Like recording a tune from an album rotating on it, and post it on hi-res download. ...Or even a youtube music video recording.
Hey, better that than flying halfway across the globe.

I'll see what I can do, NorthStar. But you are more than welcome to fly up north to Oslo;)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I'll see what I can do, NorthStar. But you are more than welcome to fly up north to Oslo;)

That was only a suggestion like that out of the blue. It is very rare for audiophiles to share a recording tune from their gear, even it it doesn't represent the live experience.
I'd love to fly to Oslo, Norway, perhaps for Christmas. :b

And a big thanks for sharing with us your splendid TT with a unique drive design. We don't see many of those around, and from my readings it deserves serious attention.
The art of rotation @ the service of music satisfaction.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
From Munich this year. Spent some time listening to this with Bonzo.

Really like the looks of this variant.

woodrand

Apr 3, 2017
That was only a suggestion like that out of the blue. It is very rare for audiophiles to share a recording tune from their gear, even it it doesn't represent the live experience.
I'd love to fly to Oslo, Norway, perhaps for Christmas. :b

And a big thanks for sharing with us your splendid TT with a unique drive design. We don't see many of those around, and from my readings it deserves serious attention.
The art of rotation @ the service of music satisfaction.

You should really consider visiting Norway, NorthStar. Possibilities to see both northern light and the Tourbillon TT. Welcome!

woodrand

Apr 3, 2017
From Munich this year. Spent some time listening to this with Bonzo.

Really like the looks of this variant.

Glad to hear you liked it! This is the one made of transparent acrylic and suitable for 12" arm. Tourbillon is made to order so it is possible to have it exactly the way you want.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing