Transfiguration Co

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
I read this morning that the founder and owner of Transfiguration has passed away, and subsequently the company may no longer continue, which is terribly sad if true..

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
It is true that he passed away. I believe it also to be true that the company will no longer produce carts. I've thought about buying another Proteus now, and stashing it away, but I'd be concerned about long term storage of carts especially those containing silver. I do believe Bluebird Music (in the US) can facilitate Proteus rebuilds, however.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
A few months back, when I was cartridge shopping, I had heard the same thing. As such, unfortunately, it ruled out the option of a Transfiguration cartridge for me.
Pity, as it seems that quite a few great cartridge makes are now unavailable.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I think it is actually not a very good idea to have a cartridge sit unused in a box for long periods of time. The suspension has a very solid chance of drying up.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
The shame is there is no one to take over, all of that wonderful knowledge passes too. The same goes for many of the best craftsmen such as Mr Matsudaira, the gent behind some real gems..

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018
Very sad ... I'll have to make sure and enjoy my Proteus while it lasts.

George

Reactions: Uk Paul

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
...but I'd be concerned about long term storage of carts especially those containing silver.
Why is silver your concern?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sad.
Transfiguration Temper Supreme followed by Orpheus were my first proper foray into proper analog magic.
Critical part of my musical education.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
As far as knowledge passing goes it's a problem in many areas of handicraft . I was recently in Osaka and had the pleasure of acquiring a culinary knife from a well known craftsman. He was in his 80s I believe....and mentioned (in Japanese, to my friend) that he had not had much success with taking an apprentice the 'distance'. (they typically giving up)

Reactions: Uk Paul

RussR

Dec 30, 2017
Gold Coast ,Queensland,Australia
That is sad news.
After moving on from a Linn LP12 with a Naim ARO arm and Troika cartridge to a Stratosphere TT and Graham arm with the Transfiguration Temper cartridge I was very happy ,the cartridge survived the earthquakes that destroyed my arm and TT amazingly ,and now lives on in my friends system on a Well Tempered TT. Artisans of fine cartridges are getting thin on the ground these days ,at least the makers of MC's that are affordable .
The storage of cartridges to prevent the suspension from drying out is all about how and where ,My friend who I distributed his products for in my old home country had some of his cartridges from back in the 1980's carefully stored that were still in perfect working order his name was James Bongiorno (R.I.P) a very colourful character and always a gentleman to deal with ,no BS and he respected his distributors area unlike many of today, we never met in the 14 or so years that we worked together but spoke on the phone and emailed regularly, Sorry I digress .I would vacuum seal the cartridge and keep in a cool environment ,that will prolong the life of the cartridge suspension .

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Ageing in general is my concern. Should it not be?
I'm not sure it's of any more consequence with silver than it is with copper. Silver oxide is very close to silver in conductivity (and silver better than copper or gold if conductivity is of concern). Many recording engineers prefer silver coated switch contacts for this reason....

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Still use my Orpheus from time to time. Great cartridge.

Just vacuum pack a cartridge if you are worried. Plenty of kitchen type solutions available.

Reactions: morricab

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I think it is actually not a very good idea to have a cartridge sit unused in a box for long periods of time. The suspension has a very solid chance of drying up.
This depends entirely on the type and quality of rubber used in the suspension. Some will oxidize and stiffen up and some will not.

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
Heard the family are getting them Oem now from Dynavector

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The other genius behind Transfiguration is still around but he's getting along in age as well. The cart he built upon leaving Transfiguration is also very good. With him left the ability to build the ring magnet of the Orpheus and it is in his own cart. Search for MuTech RM-Kanda to help ease the pain.

Reactions: RussR

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
I got lucky. My Proteus had to be retipped and I got a brand new one as part of a standard exchange for the cost of the retipping. A few weeks later, my retailer announced me that he could not get any new cartridges from his distributor.

Reactions: Grady98

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing