Transparent Audio: Gen 6 Announcement

Karen Sumner

Industry Expert
Apr 18, 2021
Thank you PK for looping us in. Audio Element in Pasadena is one of our very best dealers. You are in excellent hands.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Audio Element in Pasadena is one of our very best dealers. You are in excellent hands.

HUGE +1!

I adore Brian! He is one of the very best anywhere, ever!

dandylinpsst

Jun 12, 2010
Hi Karen, Do you agree that we can replace the AC Plugs(like Furutech NCF ac plugs or Oyaide) of Opus powercord by ourselves?
The quality of the original ac plugs of opus does not seem to be very good!
I would like to hear your views?
Thanks!

Karen Sumner

Industry Expert
Apr 18, 2021
Hi Karen, Do you agree that we can replace the AC Plugs(like Furutech NCF ac plugs or Oyaide) of Opus powercord by ourselves?
The quality of the original ac plugs of opus does not seem to be very good!
I would like to hear your views?
Thanks!
Hi, Dandylinpsst -

Actually the quality of our AC plugs on all of our power cords, including OPUS, is very good, and we have had them (and all other connectors we use) custom fabricated to our specifications for reliability, connection integrity, and sound quality. I don't recommend that you change the AC plugs yourself because OPUS Power Cords are measured and calibrated with the connectors attached. In other words, the termination is part of the design, and strip lengths and the relative positions of the conductors with respect to each other is a part of the specifications for this product.

If you would like to experiment with another brand of AC plug such as Furutech or Oyaide, we would be happy to do this for you although we have not yet determined an advantage to this approach. We would make sure that the new connectors are terminated properly and attached according to our specifications. If you are interested in going this route, we can arrange this change for you if you supply the connectors you would like to use. We would charge you for labor and any materials we needed to supply. Let me know if you would like to experiment with this idea.

Thanks for reaching out and asking the question. If there is anything else we can help you with, please let me know.

Reactions: dandylinpsst

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
I’ve just received Gen 6 Reference speaker cables and a pair of Reference XLRs. What is the recommended break in time for the Transparent cables (I am sorry, if this question has been asked earlier)?

Thank you in advance,
Aziz

Karen Sumner

Industry Expert
Apr 18, 2021
Hi, Aziz -

First of all, congratulations on your recent ownership of a Transparent Gen 6 REFERENCE system. There have been many discussions on this forum about cable break in, and there are quite a few members out there who believe they are experts on the matter; however, the so-called expert advice varies widely leaving much room for confusion. I had a rather flippant reply to one of the last threads on the subject: “Eventually, I guess one can get used to anything.”

I think that break-in is a concept that has 3 parts. The first is the amount of time it takes for all the parts in a component to be electrically exercised enough for it to perform as it was intended. The second part is a bit more complex because it has more to do with psychoacoustic phenomena than it has to do with electrons freely being able to go where they need to go at the desired speed and timing. Whenever anyone puts a new component in a system or hooks up a system throughout with a different brand or model of a cable, it can create a pretty dramatic change in how the entire system performs. The listener could perceive this difference upon initial listening as good or bad, but only long-term listening reveals whether the difference is truly a benefit to the overall musicality of a system. Dramatic differences may even require speaker placement adjustments to get the right balance in the listener’s environment which also takes time. Beyond the long-term listening phase, one’s perspective and ears tend to adjust to the new normal. The time all this takes varies from listener to listener and system to system. I think that manufacturers’ recommendations are typically generous enough to accommodate this whole process.

If one has a relatively firm perspective of what is the desirable musical standard, the “getting used to it part” is relatively inconsequential because well-designed components and cables do not dramatically change their tonal character with extended break-in time. In other words, if you hook up a new component or cable, and it sounds tonally lean out of the box, it may flesh out a bit in time, but more break-in is not going to transform this component or cable into a source of rich musical experience. To be sure, adequate break-in time can help many components and cables fully blossom in terms of low frequency resolution, dynamic capability, and space.

Vacuum tubes and power supply capacitors can have electrical break-in times in the hundreds of hours. I have not found in my experience that the same should be said about cables. Transparent’s stock answer to your question is 100 hours, but this takes long-term listening and some listener adjustment into account. From a purely electrical perspective, the capacitance that runs the entire length of all types of cables is fully charged and ready to go in 10 hours or less, and everything should be totally settled in within a day. If you are already tuned into Transparent’s musical standard, you do not need to recalibrate your ears, and your system should be ready to enjoy within a day. After break in, your cables will be ready to go for your next listening session by the time your amp and preamp are fully warmed up.

Mikeylee

Jan 1, 2016
Arizona
I realize this thread has long been out to sleep, but has any Gen 6 “technology“ been used in power cables, digital cables, or analog cables below the Reference level?
I have Gen 5 Ultra balanced and speaker cables and premium power cables throughout. I want to upgrade but don’t know if Ultra has a Gen 6 or if I should bite the bullet and save for a long time for Reference balanced and speaker cables. I also want to upgrade power cables but not if Gen 6 trickle down hasn’t happened to them yet. Thanks in advance for any info/advice.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I realize this thread has long been out to sleep, but has any Gen 6 “technology“ been used in power cables, digital cables, or analog cables below the Reference level?
I have Gen 5 Ultra balanced and speaker cables and premium power cables throughout. I want to upgrade but don’t know if Ultra has a Gen 6 or if I should bite the bullet and save for a long time for Reference balanced and speaker cables. I also want to upgrade power cables but not if Gen 6 trickle down hasn’t happened to them yet. Thanks in advance for any info/advice.

It's always good to revive old threads! I think you'll be quite impressed with upgrading to Gen 6 Reference speaker and interconnects. This is a move you'll never regret in your system.

I don't think the Get 6 has made it's way yet to power, digital...

Reactions: Mikeylee

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
I tried the Ultra series in my ARC/Wilson system and preferred my AQ Thunderbird Zeros. But the Reference series was comparable to the Thunderbirds, perhaps even to be preferred. I’ve begun upgrading to the XL level, and my impression is that XL may be the best value for money. Reference gives a great taste. XL serves up a satisfying main course. Opus and Magnum Opus bring the whole 6 course dinner.

Karen Sumner

Industry Expert
Apr 18, 2021
Mikeylee, thank you for reviving this post! There are significant advantages to upgrading to REFERENCE rather than doing a "sideways" upgrade from G5 ULTRA to G6 ULTRA. PERFORMANCE: ULTRA has a one-size-fits all design approach. You can hook it up to anything, and it sounds really great. REFERENCE is calibrated to a specific impedance range of the components it links. Your REFERENCE would be calibrated to more ideally match the output characteristics of your components. It also is able to transfer low frequency energy more efficiently than ULTRA. Overall REFERENCE has more solid musical foundation, greater dynamics, and more in phase low-level ambient and harmonic information making it more able to capture the original dimensional acoustic space of the recorded performance and the scale of the instruments within that space. INVESTMENT VALUE: Your trade-in value of your G5 ULTRA toward REFERENCE would be twice the value of what you could expect in a sideways upgrade (G5 ULTRA to G6 ULTRA). If you go for REFERENCE, it will serve you well until you decide it's time for XL which is more precisely calibrated and has more current carrying capability than REFERENCE; hence, providing you with a lot more of the musical qualities I listed above.

I think Another Johnson expressed it well: "XL may be the best value for money. Reference gives a great taste. XL serves up a satisfying main course. Opus and Magnum Opus bring the whole 6 course dinner." (As an aside, I am "Another Johnson" as well — Karen Johnson Sumner!)

We have no plans in the near future to make changes to our power cord line-up or digital cables, so I recommend that you focus on your audio cables. Please call us or have your dealer call us (207-284-1100). Ian Steinbach is the Transparent answer man for precise trade-in values and more detailed information.

Last edited:

JiminGa

May 16, 2023
Karen, I'm considering Gen5 MOSC from a third party. Transparent quoted me $18,000 to upgrade these to Gen6 spec as well as tune for my system add warranty and to be able to participate in upgrade program in the future. Would these then be full true Gen6 cables? When a future Gen7 comes out and I traded them in as part of the upgrade program approximately how much "credit" would i get for them? Thanks!

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Karen, I'm considering Gen5 MOSC from a third party. Transparent quoted me $18,000 to upgrade these to Gen6 spec as well as tune for my system add warranty and to be able to participate in upgrade program in the future. Would these then be full true Gen6 cables? When a future Gen7 comes out and I traded them in as part of the upgrade program approximately how much "credit" would i get for them? Thanks!
You might try the name and number she suggested.

“Please call us or have your dealer call us (207-284-1100). Ian Steinbach is the Transparent answer man for precise trade-in values and more detailed information.”

I am not affiliated with any audio companies or dealers. But I’d like to point out a nice feature of Transparent. When they build your speaker cables, everyone knows about the custom calibration. But few realize that they also customize the terminations. So when I said I was going to use a Burmester 911 mk3 amp, they chose flat spades for the amp end. I know from experience that angled spades block the tightening wing nuts on the 911 mk3 … but they knew it too. So they did it right without my prompting.

The speaker end (for my Sasha DAWs) was fitted with angled spades … again, the perfect choice.

And the orientation of the + and - sides was properly thought out too. No awkward twisting of wires or the sheathed package.

Transparent are seriously focused on giving the customer a first class experience and the best possible product.

Mikeylee

Jan 1, 2016
Arizona
Mikeylee, thank you for reviving this post! There are significant advantages to upgrading to REFERENCE rather than doing a "sideways" upgrade from G5 ULTRA to G6 ULTRA. PERFORMANCE: ULTRA has a one-size-fits all design approach. You can hook it up to anything, and it sounds really great. REFERENCE is calibrated to a specific impedance range of the components it links. Your REFERENCE would be calibrated to more ideally match the output characteristics of your components. It also is able to transfer low frequency energy more efficiently than ULTRA. Overall REFERENCE has more solid musical foundation, greater dynamics, and more in phase low-level ambient and harmonic information making it more able to capture the original dimensional acoustic space of the recorded performance and the scale of the instruments within that space. INVESTMENT VALUE: Your trade-in value of your G5 ULTRA toward REFERENCE would be twice the value of what you could expect in a sideways upgrade (G5 ULTRA to G6 ULTRA). If you go for REFERENCE, it will serve you well until you decide it's time for XL which is more precisely calibrated and has more current carrying capability than REFERENCE; hence, providing you with a lot more of the musical qualities I listed above.

I think Another Johnson expressed it well: "XL may be the best value for money. Reference gives a great taste. XL serves up a satisfying main course. Opus and Magnum Opus bring the whole 6 course dinner." (As an aside, I am "Another Johnson" as well — Karen Johnson Sumner!)

We have no plans in the near future to make changes to our power cord line-up or digital cables, so I recommend that you focus on your audio cables. Please call us or have your dealer call us (207-284-1100). Ian Steinbach is the Transparent answer man for precise trade-in values and more detailed information.
@Karen Sumner and @Another Johnson , thanks for your very thoughtful replies! Due to finances, I have to stay with the tasting menu instead of diving into the entree or full feast menus. Given the enjoyment I’ve gotten from my Gen5 Super and the Ultra cabling, I am confident Gen6 Reference will delight! I’ll let my dealer show me when I see him in December. I see Santa bringing me some Gen6 balanced Reference cables. Then I’ll save for the speaker cables. Maybe the Easter bunny will bring me those.

Transparent Audio does seem very customer oriented and upgrade friendly. I bought my cables second hand, so I won’t trade them in. The recertification fee, which I completely understand, makes it so I can get more selling them. I do look forward to having brand new, factory fresh cabling!

final, maybe, question. should the move from Gen 5 Ultra to Gen 6 Reference require any speaker placement adjustments? I had my speakers professionally set up and and they sound superb! I really don’t want to move them.

if it matters, my system is a dCS Bartok DAC, Simaudio Moon 700i int amp, amp Rockport Technology Avior (originals) speakers.

Reactions: Karen Sumner

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
final, maybe, question. should the move from Gen 5 Ultra to Gen 6 Reference require any speaker placement adjustments? I had my speakers professionally set up and and they sound superb! I really don’t want to move them.

In my experience, if speakers are working well in their location, changing speaker cables hasn’t required a new location. But … someone else might have a different view.

it is ironic that you asked this because I changed my primary listening chair today. It has a 7” higher ear position relative to the floor. My Sasha DAWs sounded smeared and shrill.

I got out the manual, and used the charts to find the correct spike and step setting for the new ear height. I had to remove the top modules, make the changes, and reinstall the top module.

Once done, things were not back to normal. They were even better than normal. I’ve just finished listening to my evaluation playlist. I think this chair’s openness about my head is a factor in the upgrade. Very nice indeed.

Mikeylee

Jan 1, 2016
Arizona
In my experience, if speakers are working well in their location, changing speaker cables hasn’t required a new location. But … someone else might have a different view.

it is ironic that you asked this because I changed my primary listening chair today. It has a 7” higher ear position relative to the floor. My Sasha DAWs sounded smeared and shrill.

I got out the manual, and used the charts to find the correct spike and step setting for the new ear height. I had to remove the top modules, make the changes, and reinstall the top module.

Once done, things were not back to normal. They were even better than normal. I’ve just finished listening to my evaluation playlist. I think this chair’s openness about my head is a factor in the upgrade. Very nice indeed.
Thanks for your experience! I would have most certainly installed a top module backwards, dropped it, or something . We wanted to install new flooring in the near future. My wife made sure it was finished before the pro set-up so we never had to move the speakers. She also made sure we had seating I liked sitting in for listening and met her aesthetic standard. We went through at least six chairs!

Having the correct chair makes all the difference when listening!

Karen Sumner

Industry Expert
Apr 18, 2021

I think Another Johnson is correct. You already have a well balanced system, and it should only get better with REFERENCE.

Karen Sumner

Industry Expert
Apr 18, 2021
Hi, JiminGa —

The G5 to G6 MOSC upgrade is truly G6, and it will put you in good position for any future G7 upgrades which I don't expect to happen anytime in the near future. It is likely, BTW, that there will not be a G7 flagship beyond MO whenever G7 happens.

I can't predict what your credit toward G7 will be precisely at this point because there are too many unknown variables, but you will get full G6 credit in any case. I hope this helps.

ationg

Aug 7, 2016
Does Transparent Cable sound dark?
As a Rockport speaker user, I am dipping my toes in and swapped out two silver/gold Crystal Cable interconnects for Transparent G6 XL. The sound gained weight across the spectrum especially in the mids but seemingly lost some high frequencies. How do people characterize the Transparent sound?
In any case, it does surprise me that "just copper" cables can be so costly.. not necessarily a criticism at this stage..: )

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
As a Rockport speaker user, I am dipping my toes in and swapped out two silver/gold Crystal Cable interconnects for Transparent G6 XL. The sound gained weight across the spectrum especially in the mids but seemingly lost some high frequencies. How do people characterize the Transparent sound?
In any case, it does surprise me that "just copper" cables can be so costly.. not necessarily a criticism at this stage..: )
I own Transparent and Rockports. I would NOT describe G6 as dark in the highs. Incredibly revealing and I’d say very extended and natural. In fact, I’d say most other cables loose the naturalness that make G6 such a great match with rockports!

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Are you dipping your toes in by buying or borrowing a used pair that aren’t calibrated for your system? Or are you working with an authorized dealer?

In the former case, contact Transparent directly. In the latter case take it up with your dealer.

My opinion is that you can’t make general assertions about how the Transparent Connoisseur level sounds out of full context.

You’re not buying copper vs precious metal. You’re buying bespoke cables specifically tuned to your gear.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing