Triplanar And Cartridge

jcmusic

May 20, 2010
Just Outside New Orleans, La.
I am looking for a good matching cartridge for a Triplanar VII? Trying to stay in the 1.0 mv output range, any advice??? i wanted to add that currently I am using a Dyna 20X 1.0 mv into 47k phono stage and do like the sound, just wanting a lil more detail without giving up anything else. I do understand that my phono stage is my weakest link, I am just not ready to change that yet...

Last edited:

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I am looking for a good matching cartridge for a Triplanar VII? Trying to stay in the 1.0 mv output range, any advice???

The 1.0 mv kills the 3 I've used with my former Triplanar. Do you need 1mv to best match up with your phono stage?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I could probably get away with a lil less maybe down to 0.7, I am afraid that would be it!!!

I got nothing then...sorry. The 3 I used were the Lyra Skala (.5), Allaerts MC2 Finish (.2), and a Lyra Atlas (.56)...maybe some others will chime in...Good luck

andrew_stenhouse

Oct 26, 2015
Sydney, Australia
I had great success with the combination of a Triplanar VII + Len "The Cartidgeman" Gregory's MI cart (the Sapphire by memory) + a Croft MM phono stage. It had all the detail of a great MC and the 'life' & 'bounce' of a MM. Mind you half that synergy was the Croft phono with NOS Mullard CV4003 (Mil Spec 12au7) tubes. Stunning phono stage for not much money.

BTW that combination replaced a Benz LPS + Audioflight Phono stage. So it shouldn't be discounted just because it is relatively inexpensive.

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015
The Lyra Etna is definitley loud enough for what you are looking for . I had someone run into some trouble while using it with a ARC Ref2 with too much gain.

Otherwise Benz make medium output varietys of their top cartridges too. But the Compliance may be a issue with the Tri

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Anyone tried the Triplanar VII with the Ikeda Kai?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing