Tripoint Troy Elite - Installed

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
Yesterday, I received my Tripoint Troy Elite that Miguel has been working on and a couple months ago, I bought Rudolf's 5 Thor SE cables as he is upgrading to the Emperors. Last night after moving some components to fit the Elite and connecting the Thor SEs, I was ready to hear what it would bring to my system. Right out of the box, it brought a level of realism that I haven't heard in my room. I played a few tracks and went to dinner with my wife and came home to hear some more. The music was more relaxed with an effortless sound making it more dynamic even at low volume. I'm not sure I could describe what EMI/RFI sound like in the signal but I can say that I thought my system was quiet until I added the Elite. It has stripped away a haze I never knew existed and music has never been more emotional in my system. I can't say if it sounds closer to vinyl because I don't think I've heard a properly set up vinyl rig which is something I aspire to in a bigger room but in terms of timbre and flow, it sounded very natural without any digital edge that I've heard before. I've talked with Miguel a few times over the years but never had a chance to get a Troy due to having a couple kids. After the Elite came out and reading about Mike's experience and talking with Rudolf about his cables, I knew it was time to order one. I have one Thor SE to each monoblock, K-01X, G-01, and Nagra Classic amp. More to come after it settles a bit more.

Attachments

• IMG_0263.jpg
    IMG_0263.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 1,450
  • IMG_0266.jpg
    IMG_0266.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 1,136

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
This is really a great start, Dave, I am so happy for you! But ... it is only a start ... give the Elite about four weeks to more or less fully settle ... and everything will (even) get much better ... enjoy yourself and please keep us posted.

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
Rudolf,
I'm going directly into the wall. I may try plugging into the transparent power isolator after a few days. My front end is on it. It's the real deal Rudolf! The walls in my room aren't there anymore. I should just go home and listen...completely unproductive at work today.:)

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Rudolf,
I'm going directly into the wall. I may try plugging into the transparent power isolator after a few days. My front end is on it. It's the real deal Rudolf! The walls in my room aren't there anymore. I should just go home and listen...completely unproductive at work today.:)

Is it not great that ‘audiophile adults’ can get as excited about their (new) ‘audio toys’ as kids about their ‘regular toys’?

I suppose you don’t have to convince me, Dave, that Miguel’s products are - in your own words - “the real deal”.??

For all the ‘non believers’ it should be interesting to follow your ‘Elite adventures’ on WBF because you are a new Tripoint user with a totally fresh view on what the Elite combined with the Tripoint Thor se’s is doing for your system/sound quality. So I will back off (for now) and I am looking forward to your future findings.

Last edited:

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
Dave,...congratulations on your new Tripoint Elite and cables; I am very happy for you and that you've taken an already fantastic system to the next level!

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
This Elite needs some settling time I think. It yo yo a bit.

Tang:b

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
This Elite needs some settling time I think. It yo yo a bit.

Tang:b

Hi Tang,
Miguel mentioned he sent your Elite out just before mine. Hope you're enjoying it as much as I am.

Dave

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats! Sounds amazing. I have enjoyed the TripointTroy SE for many years. I wonder how they compare? In any event, not fussed...enjoying the music here, as no doubt you are!

Reactions: jackson_k

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
Hi LL21,
I've admired your system for a long time...I've never heard Gryphon Amps but am excited they are back in the US. I'm trying to put my finger on what the Troy does, but I feel like it just pulls me in a bit more and makes the sound so much more involving. Where are you plugged in? Miguel mentioned to try it on the dedicated amp line or the front end dedicated line and possibly on the transparent conditioner.

Dave

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi LL21,
I've admired your system for a long time...I've never heard Gryphon Amps but am excited they are back in the US. I'm trying to put my finger on what the Troy does, but I feel like it just pulls me in a bit more and makes the sound so much more involving. Where are you plugged in? Miguel mentioned to try it on the dedicated amp line or the front end dedicated line and possibly on the transparent conditioner.

Dave

Wow! That's kind of you...I hope you get to try the Gryphon amps some day. Meanwhile, on the Troy...i am certainly with you on that...I have it plugged in (as per guidance from Miguel) in the wall socket next to the amp and the Burmester 948 power conditioner (which feeds the rest of the source/preamp).

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Hi Tang,
Miguel mentioned he sent your Elite out just before mine. Hope you're enjoying it as much as I am.

Dave

Yes. Mine is number 10. The other one coming to Thailand went to a gentleman with Dartzeel Ironman / Karma system.
I find the Elite is very different from the Troy SE. The SE didn’t energize each instrument and reveal sound stage boundaries like this. The energizing part is like when I tried the Schnerzinger devices. It is also the first time I get that high notes tingling effervescent sound tail of acoustic guitar very close to tape. (Sorry for confusing description of sound. I really don’t have the right word for this.) Other sound improvements are just as what you described.

8231C93A-539D-4B3C-BBB0-A4BD541C6826.jpg

Very messy rear end.

Kind regards,
Tang

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Yesterday, I received my Tripoint Troy Elite that Miguel has been working on and a couple months ago, I bought Rudolf's 5 Thor SE cables as he is upgrading to the Emperors. Last night after moving some components to fit the Elite and connecting the Thor SEs, I was ready to hear what it would bring to my system. Right out of the box, it brought a level of realism that I haven't heard in my room. I played a few tracks and went to dinner with my wife and came home to hear some more. The music was more relaxed with an effortless sound making it more dynamic even at low volume. I'm not sure I could describe what EMI/RFI sound like in the signal but I can say that I thought my system was quiet until I added the Elite. It has stripped away a haze I never knew existed and music has never been more emotional in my system. I can't say if it sounds closer to vinyl because I don't think I've heard a properly set up vinyl rig which is something I aspire to in a bigger room but in terms of timbre and flow, it sounded very natural without any digital edge that I've heard before. I've talked with Miguel a few times over the years but never had a chance to get a Troy due to having a couple kids. After the Elite came out and reading about Mike's experience and talking with Rudolf about his cables, I knew it was time to order one. I have one Thor SE to each monoblock, K-01X, G-01, and Nagra Classic amp. More to come after it settles a bit more.

Dave, congrats on the arrival of your Elite!!! i'm very happy for you. and also those Thor's from Rudolf will take things even higher. I have 2 of those and would love to add a couple more.

nothing has quite done what the Elite has done in my system, the sense of any reproduction artifacts recede and musical magic takes over. Miguel has hit a home run I think. I like Tang's description of decay trails and delicacy going to another level of reality. hard to find the words but that feeling comes through.

mine is 'lucky' number 007. license to thrill :rolleyes: sorry, could not resist.

enjoy!

Mike

Reactions: amadeus

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Yes. Mine is number 10. The other one coming to Thailand went to a gentleman with Dartzeel Ironman / Karma system.
I find the Elite is very different from the Troy SE. The SE didn’t energize each instrument and reveal sound stage boundaries like this. The energizing part is like when I tried the Schnerzinger devices. It is also the first time I get that high notes tingling effervescent sound tail of acoustic guitar very close to tape. (Sorry for confusing description of sound. I really don’t have the right word for this.) Other sound improvements are just as what you described.

Very messy rear end.

Kind regards,
Tang

Dear Tang,

many would kill to own a 'mess' like that......you lucky dog.

Mike

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012

View attachment 38596

Very messy rear end.

Kind regards,
Tang

Are you still using the Tripoint Empress speaker filters, Tang? Although the Elite needs a couple of weeks to fully settle and shine (in any system), it should be able to show you from the first moment of inserting in a (much) clearer way than the Troy se what the Empress filters are really capable of.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Dave, congrats on the arrival of your Elite!!! i'm very happy for you. and also those Thor's from Rudolf will take things even higher. I have 2 of those and would love to add a couple more.

nothing has quite done what the Elite has done in my system, the sense of any reproduction artifacts recede and musical magic takes over. Miguel has hit a home run I think. I like Tang's description of decay trails and delicacy going to another level of reality. hard to find the words but that feeling comes through.

mine is 'lucky' number 007. license to thrill :rolleyes: sorry, could not resist.

enjoy!

Mike

You are completely right, Mike, that the Tripoint Thor se’s or - if you want to go even more ‘crazy’ - the Thor elite or Emperor ground cables are way, way better than the standard Tripoint grounding cables. The latter are only ok in my view. In order to be able to unleash the full potential of the Elite boxes you, Dave and Tang are all using (of course the same applies to my Emperor mk ii that has been upgraded with the Elite technique) real high quality grounding cables are mandatory. Yes, such a step demands a substantial investment - in particular if you are going to invest in Miguel’s ‘Anaconda’s’/Emperor grounding cables - but the musical rewards are substantial as well. And with his ‘Anaconda’s’ the musical rewards are in my view simply mindblowing.

Last edited:
Reactions: infinitely baffled

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Are you still using the Tripoint Empress speaker filters, Tang? Although the Elite needs a couple of weeks to fully settle and shine (in any system), it should be able to show you from the first moment of inserting in a (much) clearer way than the Troy se what the Empress filters are really capable of.

Yes, the Empresses are still connected to my main speakers. Yes again about the first moment of inserting the Elite. I dont think it should even be labeled as Troy. I dont have the special Trpoint ground wires. I use three Dalby Celestials and quite a few regular Tripoint wires. I actually like Tripoint regular wires because they are not big, heavy and inflexible and canbe connected to tts more easily.

Kind regards,
Tang

Last edited:
Reactions: infinitely baffled

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Yes, the Empresses are still connected to my main speakers. Yes again about the first moment of inserting. I dont think it should even be labeled as Troy. I dont have the special Trpoint ground wires. I use three Dalby Celestial and quite a few regular Tripoint wires. I actually like Tripoint regular wires because they are not big, heavy and inflexible and canbe connected to tts more easily.

Kind regards,
Tang

Thanks Tang. The Elite is indeed on an alltogether different level compared to the Troy se, although the latter box is still fantastic in my view.

Fully understand your point about the flexibility and easy use of the regular Tripoint grounding cables but ... I am afraid that in sound quality there is a (serious) price to pay for this flexibility (in comparison to higher ranking Tripoint grounding wires).

I never heard your Dalby grounding cable so I do not know how good it is: have you ever made an a/b comparison between your Celestial cable and the regular Tripoint grounding wires? Pretty sure that the Elite will demonstrate the differences (and possibly similarities) in a more profound way.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I like Tang's description of decay trails and delicacy going to another level of reality. hard to find the words but that feeling comes through.

So..you hear the same and I am not delusional.

With Ella&Louis Tenderly, Armstrong's trumpet has more energy than my father yelled at me when I was a kid...no kidding. I videoed it but you cant feel the energy flush at you in the video. Mike I am sure you know what I am talking about.

Another thing..My AtlasSL has the output of around 0.23 mV while Opus1 is 0.5mV. Now with Elite in the system the Atlas sounds about as loud as the Opus before the Elite.

Tang

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I never heard your Dalby grounding cable so I do not know how good it is: have you ever made an a/b comparison between your Celestial cable and the regular Tripoint grounding wires? Pretty sure that the Elite will demonstrate the differences (and possibly similarities) in a more profound way.

I also never tried Tripoint better wires in my system Rudolph. But the Celestial outclasses the regular Tripoint wire in my system...no need Elite to demonstrate that really.

Kind regards,
Tang

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
With Ella&Louis Tenderly, Armstrong's trumpet has more energy than my father yelled at me when I was a kid...no kidding.
Tang

Funny you should bring that fact up--In my house up till the age of 6 I thought my name was Jesus Christ;)!

BruceD

Reactions: Salectric

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing